Do you Use your Hunting vacation wisely

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Brad

Re: Do you Use your Hunting vacation wisely

Unread postby Brad » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:11 pm

I use it wisely, I took 3 days for turkey season, and then I took 3 weeks off in a row for the rut, and then another week in early October, but I will be trading it back and using it for the 4th and 5th and 6th turkey seasons.

Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:10 pm

No...

For the last 3 years I have taken a week off either the first or second week of November just because I use to love the rut... And I still just love hunting that time of year... However in the parts I hunt for whatever reason the rut has seemed almost nonexistent the last 3 years so I won't be wasting my time doing that any more

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:13 pm

Hunter74 wrote:No...

For the last 3 years I have taken a week off either the first or second week of November just because I use to love the rut... And I still just love hunting that time of year... However in the parts I hunt for whatever reason the rut has seemed almost nonexistent the last 3 years so I won't be wasting my time doing that any more

what did you pick then.....
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:38 pm

BigHunt wrote:

Well I haven't really planned out any vacation for next year yet... But if things go according to plan I'll fill my tags just hunting the weekends for our bow season... Then I'm gonna take the week of gun season off which is just 3 vacation days to go to South Dakota and hunt muley's... Then I'll take the week after off to hunt our muzzle loader season

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:44 pm

Hunter74 wrote:
BigHunt wrote:

Well I haven't really planned out any vacation for next year yet... But if things go according to plan I'll fill my tags just hunting the weekends for our bow season... Then I'm gonna take the week of gun season off which is just 3 vacation days to go to South Dakota and hunt muley's... Then I'll take the week after off to hunt our muzzle loader season

8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:12 pm

well so far the rut hunters are in the lead and the early season hunters are in a minority group :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:41 pm

One week for the rut, one week for the fam, one week broken up for sick kids and various other things not hunting related. Any extra days that don't get burned up during the year usually find me in a tree late Oct. My deer vacation is sometimes a solid week, somedays a day here or there. I also love those moon days, always seem to have some kind of action. ;)
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:43 pm

With 3 kids under 6 next season I have to play it smart. With a week vacation in ND for birds and now maybe another bird hunt with Muddy in Iowa I may just take a couple days early season and then a couple for the rut.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:50 pm

No vacation time for me :cry:

Come this fall though, I will be my own boss 8-)
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:33 pm

Come this fall though, I will be my own boss

Congratulations. You'll work you hind in off..............and love every minute of it. It's not a given you'll love your boss, though. I kick myself in the but a lot!

Good luck.
Lateral Bowhunter
jlh42581
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jlh42581

Unread postby jlh42581 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:18 am

Im not salary so if I work any more than 40 hours they would rather not pay me so I get that time off equally. I get the week after xmas off for free which is the first week of late archery. This year Ill have off the first week of November to hunt. The rest of the time, is playing by ear
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:21 am

As a union electrician, we don't have paid vacation. That's why I don't feel bad asking for at least a month off at the end of Oct, beginning of Nov.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:36 am

BigHunt wrote:well so far the rut hunters are in the lead and the early season hunters are in a minority group :lol:

That is because if someone takes a week off for early season hunting, over that 5 day work period you are talking MAYBE 12 or 14 hours of actual deer movement time. During the rut you could have a buck come by whenever, from first light to last light, that gives you at least 8-10 hours of potential deer movement, and that puts you in a window of like 300% better odd's right off the bat. If you look at the record books (and the beast buck line up for that matter) you will see when most bucks are killed. There is NOTHING wrong with hunting the rut, and still using "beast tactics" the rest of the year. Anyone who does not hunt the rut is missing out on one of the most exciting times of year, and when it comes to taking vacation, I take it when the best opportunity for killing a nice buck exists, and that is still during the rut.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:24 am

Brad Lamont wrote:
BigHunt wrote:well so far the rut hunters are in the lead and the early season hunters are in a minority group :lol:

Anyone who does not hunt the rut is missing out on one of the most exciting times of year, and when it comes to taking vacation, I take it when the best opportunity for killing a nice buck exists, and that is still during the rut

anyone that doesnt hunt early season is missing out on just as much fun......and the gratifying work involved, there's NOTHING like when all your hard work comes together in early season, mouths of scouting, shinning, trail cam pics, and preparation putting it all together and then getting it done
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:36 am

I said I still go out and hunt early season, and will continue to do so, but I will not burn a week of vacation when I am talking about so few hours of potential deer movement. To be blunt, if I had a lot more time off I would take a week for early and late season, but I don't, so instead I use it "wisely" when I can get the best chance at a buck.

"Beast style" hunting is going in when you have a better than average crack at taking a particular buck, and during the rut I have an awesome crack at taking one of many bucks. I do not care when I kill my buck, I don't care if I shoot him in his bed, in the crapper, or off the top of the doe during the rut, it is all a numbers game during the rut. Just because someone hunts during the rut for their vacation time does not make them a "rut hunter", it just shows they recognize a weakness on the bucks part and exploit it. To call someone a "rut hunter" mean they ONLY hunt during the rut, and I don't think ANYONE on here limits themselves to just the rut time period. Part of becoming a beast is using whatever tactic you need to at the time, be it hunting beds, hunting the rut time period, or tracking the buck, hunting a sanctuary etc. If you only learn one method and stick to it by its-self, you are missing out on all the other ways that can work to kill a buck, and that is not being a "wise" hunter, a "wise hunter" is having the capabilities of hunting in whatever "mode" it takes to kill the buck at that particular time. Not one tactic works every time, and anyone that limits them-self to one method is missing out.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”