Tips for finding beds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
User avatar
BigHunt
Posts: 12095
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:50 am
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Tips for finding beds

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:07 pm

venisonassassin wrote:Image



there we go ....wow sweet .....good info , thanks for sharing 8-)


HUNT LIKE A BEAST
User avatar
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Posts: 18739
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:18 am
Facebook: None
Location: Iowa
Status: Offline

Re: Tips for finding beds

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:25 pm

Thick tall grassy areas in the river bottoms. Deer tend to stack up along the river when the wind blows towards the river for days on end. Killed a few good bucks knowing this.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
User avatar
Dewey
Moderator
Posts: 32015
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Tips for finding beds

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:34 pm

venisonassassin wrote:Image

I see this quite a bit where they bed on top of them when the water is lower than usual. Most times around muskrat dens the water is pretty deep and then the deer don't seem to use them quite as often.



In marshes they also like to bed out of the water at the base of trees like these. The tree on the left with 3 trunks has a bed on the far side.
Image
User avatar
Dewey
Moderator
Posts: 32015
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Tips for finding beds

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:35 pm

venisonassassin wrote:Image

I see this quite a bit where they bed on top of them when the water is lower than usual. Most times around muskrat dens the water is pretty deep and then the deer don't seem to use them quite as often.



In marshes they also like to bed out of the water at the base of trees like these. The tree on the left with 3 trunks has a bed on the far side.
Image
User avatar
Zap
Posts: 10061
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:57 pm
Location: OK, I am in Kansas.....
Status: Offline

Re: Tips for finding beds

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:50 am

We have alot of crp/cedar fields aound here.
The beds are hard to locate in these spots.

Image

Image

Image

On public land here......alot of the time the beds relate to hunter access.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
venisonassassin
500 Club
Posts: 507
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:55 am
Location: se wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Tips for finding beds

Unread postby venisonassassin » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:23 am

Dewey wrote:
venisonassassin wrote:Image

I see this quite a bit where they bed on top of them when the water is lower than usual. Most times around muskrat dens the water is pretty deep and then the deer don't seem to use them quite as often.



In marshes they also like to bed out of the water at the base of trees like these. The tree on the left with 3 trunks has a bed on the far side.
Image


I have seen these beds by the base of trees. Some trees have a large enough spot to bed and some don't. Same thing with muskrat den's, most that I have come across are not large enough to bed a deer or the water is high as you said.
User avatar
huntinsonovagun
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:03 pm
Location: NE Oklahoma
Status: Offline

Re: Tips for finding beds

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:44 am

Stanley wrote:Thick tall grassy areas in the river bottoms. Deer tend to stack up along the river when the wind blows towards the river for days on end. Killed a few good bucks knowing this.




Great to know!! I've got an area like this in mind that I need to check out now!
User avatar
huntinsonovagun
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:03 pm
Location: NE Oklahoma
Status: Offline

Re: Tips for finding beds

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:43 am

Let's throw this into the equation- what does a buck LOOK for in a potential bedding site? (visibility, wind, etc and HOW he uses each of those key elements to "protect" himself)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
User avatar
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club
Posts: 1822
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:17 pm
Location: Northern NJ
Status: Offline

Re: Tips for finding beds

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:43 am

huntinsonovagun wrote:Let's throw this into the equation- what does a buck LOOK for in a potential bedding site? (visibility, wind, etc and HOW he uses each of those key elements to "protect" himself)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

A place where there is no human scent.
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
User avatar
BigHunt
Posts: 12095
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:50 am
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Tips for finding beds

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:40 am

Milk Weed Seed wrote:
huntinsonovagun wrote:Let's throw this into the equation- what does a buck LOOK for in a potential bedding site? (visibility, wind, etc and HOW he uses each of those key elements to "protect" himself)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

A place where there is no human scent.


this is one GOOD resaoning on buck bedding
HUNT LIKE A BEAST


  • Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests