Your thoughts on hunting multiple buck beds in same area....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Zap

Re: Your thoughts on hunting multiple buck beds in same area

Unread postby Zap » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:07 pm

Anyone ever think that mature bucks may wait in heavier cover to scent check doe as them come back into bedding as the rut gets close.

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:17 pm

virginiashadow wrote:
dan wrote:For me it would depend exactly how close the spot would be that cuts off two bedding areas... Some of my spots do this.
One thing you could do is wait for a weather condition, or moon phase that might get them moving a little earlier and then hunt the spot connecting both. MOON OR WEATHER DON'T MAKE HUGE DIFFERENCES WITH PUBLIC LAND MATURE DEER, BUT EVEN IF ITS ONLY 10 MINUTES, a deer can move a long way in ten minutes.

Dan, I am ignorant to which moon phases seem to get deer up on their feet earlier in the PM.

when the moon is over head or under foot is when it has the strongest gravitational pull , right around or a little after sun up or sun down
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:57 am

Zap wrote:Anyone ever think that mature bucks may wait in heavier cover to scent check doe as them come back into bedding as the rut gets close.

Yes I think they do gives them the cover they need to feel comfortable while they wait on the ladies.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:13 am

JRM6868 wrote:
Zap wrote:Anyone ever think that mature bucks may wait in heavier cover to scent check doe as them come back into bedding as the rut gets close.

Yes I think they do gives them the cover they need to feel comfortable while they wait on the ladies.

I have even seen that in open territory. They will bed in a spot to smell or watch doe bedding entry areas.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:17 am

What I'm talking about is a small window of time where the buck knows its not time yet but is antsy kinda pacing back and forth waiting for it to be time. I have a property where the bucks don't show up until oct 20th and it's that time I usually see them do this. It's about a week or so too soon for them to really be harassing does hard and they kinda walk back and forth from one of their beds to the other scent checking the thermals hunting the doe bedding at this time will ruin your hunt because the bucks will be scenting you being above you. Once you get into the beginning of November is a good time to hunt the doe bedding areas on that farm if you rut hunt that way. I don't rut hunt that way I hunt just off the buck bedding because of the pressure all around me, hunting the buck beds get the bucks out of their bedding early enough during the rut so that you have of chance of shooting them in daylight.

That's what's great about this site, I guess. I get to see how deer where you are behave....and vice versa. My experiences, here, mirror raisedbywolves. The older bucks don't get involved with the does, early. They know the drill (so to speak) and don't get excited at the wrong time. I see 1.5's and 2.5's before I see older bucks.

Hunting buck beds, during the rut, is definitely a new one on me. Many times I find bucks bedding near(er) to does, during this time.

Let me ask....do you hunt the buck bedding, during the rut, because you think that's your best chance of killing one of them? Or, are you trying to make it more challenging?
Lateral Bowhunter
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:23 am

JV NC wrote:My thinking is.....if a buck's interested in does, is there a better place to hunt....than - where does are?

I'm all for hunting buck bedding areas. Gotcha. But, there's (IMO) a time and a place for everything.

I'm not saying (at all) that hunting buck bedding during the pre-rut can't produce. I'm sure it can. I kinda see it like hunting with my recurve v. the compound. If I was looking to make more of a challenge out of killing a buck, I'd take the recurve........and hunt buck bedding, during the pre-rut. If I wanted my best shot at killing a buck, I'd take the compound and hunt the downwind side of doe bedding areas....or, better yet, get between two doe bedding areas..

The problem with that logic is your mainly hunting immature deer at the doe bedding areas, funnels, or other traditional rut spots... Even during the rut, my biggest / oldest bucks tend to come from hunting buck beds. The more the pressure, the more this is true, but its a tendency everywhere in my opinion.
Take the mature buck I arrowed this year... I shot him during peak rut activity ( oct. 31st ) 75 yards from his bed right at closing time. At night I was shining him with does out in the crop fields, but he was not at the doe bedding areas, he was in his secure bedding area, and I new he would be there ( at least very strongly suspected ) The 1st day everything was right I moved in and killed him... Any further back and I would not of had a daylight shot at that buck. And that buck, is just one example...
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:26 am

Let me ask....do you hunt the buck bedding, during the rut, because you think that's your best chance of killing one of them? Or, are you trying to make it more challenging?

I think odds are better at connecting on"a" buck by hunting the traditional areas... BUT, I think that odds go up on bucks 4 years old or older hunting buck bedding...
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:33 am

dan wrote:

I think odds are better at connecting on"a" buck by hunting the traditional areas... BUT, I think that odds go up on bucks 4 years old or older hunting buck bedding...

I agree buck bedding hunting increases your odds on a mature deer if there's any kind of pressure the hunting the bed is your best chance at killing him the rut will make him move a little bit earlier so you can have a chance at killing him.

virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:56 am

Good thread guys, I really appreciate the debate and info. It is helping tie together some thoughts I had floating around in my brain dead head.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:43 am

Dan:

I don't disagree with anything you said. My 2nd buck from '11 was likely kiled in the exact way you're describing. I knew bucks bedded where I was. And, I knew does bedded below me. I was on the breakline - between them. He was the only deer I saw, and he was out in plenty of daylight.

I hardly ever get a wind to hunt that spot (didn't get it even once in 2010). When I get it, I go.

Interesting discussion.

The problem with that logic is your mainly hunting immature deer at the doe bedding areas, funnels, or other traditional rut spots... Even during the rut, my biggest / oldest bucks tend to come from hunting buck beds. The more the pressure, the more this is true, but its a tendency everywhere in my opinion.

Do you not see bucks abandon conventional bedding, during the rut? I seem to see it, every year. It's what I find frustrating about hunting a particular buck, during the rut. I seem to bump up bucks this time of year.....and I'm not even close to where they typically bed.
Lateral Bowhunter
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:59 am

JV NC wrote:

Do you not see bucks abandon conventional bedding, during the rut? I seem to see it, every year. It's what I find frustrating about hunting a particular buck, during the rut. I seem to bump up bucks this time of year.....and I'm not even close to where they typically bed.

The only time I see mature bucks abandon their bed is in the breeding phase of the rut when they are tending a doe. During the seek phase and a little before is when you can hunt the buck bedding like this.

virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:41 am

Excellent info from all of you guys. The clues are all starting to make a little more sense. I predict a very good season for myself next year. My scouting boots will be strapped on beginning next weekend.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:45 am

virginiashadow wrote:Excellent info from all of you guys. The clues are all starting to make a little more sense. I predict a very good season for myself next year. My scouting boots will be strapped on beginning next weekend.

Good luck post some pics.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”