So you found the buck bed.....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: So you found the buck bed.....

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:09 pm

If you can set stands up ahead of time and I do. I believe it is a great advantage. I mean stealth is the name of the game, how you a accomplish that stealth could be the difference in hanging a buck or hanging another stand. Great topic for discussion.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:58 am

Sounds like a good tactic Zap.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:00 am

I that is a good tactic where legal. I do it on the private land I hunt. I primarily hunt out of a tree saddle so I have all my pegs set up, my bow hangers in stalled and lanes pruned. I don't prune alot. But the tree is basically ready to go in spring. All I have to do is slip my saddle on, go to the tree climb it strap myself in and hunt. I can prep alot of trees this way. Some which I don't even hunt, because every year seems different with crop rotations and such, but it's nice to have options. I use rebar cut to about 8", as my pegs and pre drill holes with a cordless drill, that way the pegs dont grow in after a couple of years and it's much cheaper than buying all those screw in steps. With the rebar as pegs and no stand in the tree, it's pretty hard for anyone else who hunts the land to know where I hunt. If I remove any saplings, I trim at ground level, it's a dead give away that someone hunts an area by the way they trim shooting lanes. One more thing Zap. Here in WI, is it not legal to trim, but if it is in Kansas, I would cut everything at ground level, that will help conceal your locations to other public land hunters.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:24 am

Black Squirrel wrote:I that is a good tactic where legal. I do it on the private land I hunt. I primarily hunt out of a tree saddle so I have all my pegs set up, my bow hangers in stalled and lanes pruned. I don't prune alot. But the tree is basically ready to go in spring. All I have to do is slip my saddle on, go to the tree climb it strap myself in and hunt. I can prep alot of trees this way. Some which I don't even hunt, because every year seems different with crop rotations and such, but it's nice to have options. I use rebar cut to about 8", as my pegs and pre drill holes with a cordless drill, that way the pegs dont grow in after a couple of years and it's much cheaper than buying all those screw in steps. With the rebar as pegs and no stand in the tree, it's pretty hard for anyone else who hunts the land to know where I hunt. If I remove any saplings, I trim at ground level, it's a dead give away that someone hunts an area by the way they trim shooting lanes. One more thing Zap. Here in WI, is it not legal to trim, but if it is in Kansas, I would cut everything at ground level, that will help conceal your locations to other public land hunters.

That is interesting with the rebar BlackSquirrel. What diameter do you use? Rebar seems to break pretty clean I had thought about this in past because of the price of #8 bolts or quality screw in steps but was afraid to have one break on me. You been using them a while?
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:26 am

The only issue I have with this is that a lot of my hunting spots have many trees picked out within close proximity and hunting changes slightly every hunt based on wind and sign....
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:27 am

Good point, Dan.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:31 am

Indianahunter wrote:
Black Squirrel wrote:I that is a good tactic where legal. I do it on the private land I hunt. I primarily hunt out of a tree saddle so I have all my pegs set up, my bow hangers in stalled and lanes pruned. I don't prune alot. But the tree is basically ready to go in spring. All I have to do is slip my saddle on, go to the tree climb it strap myself in and hunt. I can prep alot of trees this way. Some which I don't even hunt, because every year seems different with crop rotations and such, but it's nice to have options. I use rebar cut to about 8", as my pegs and pre drill holes with a cordless drill, that way the pegs dont grow in after a couple of years and it's much cheaper than buying all those screw in steps. With the rebar as pegs and no stand in the tree, it's pretty hard for anyone else who hunts the land to know where I hunt. If I remove any saplings, I trim at ground level, it's a dead give away that someone hunts an area by the way they trim shooting lanes. One more thing Zap. Here in WI, is it not legal to trim, but if it is in Kansas, I would cut everything at ground level, that will help conceal your locations to other public land hunters.

That is interesting with the rebar BlackSquirrel. What diameter do you use? Rebar seems to break pretty clean I had thought about this in past because of the price of #8 bolts or quality screw in steps but was afraid to have one break on me. You been using them a while?

5/8", I believe. I have never had one break. I use the Bolts for the base of the saddle, though.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:33 am

AS far as trimming...
Places that I hunt on public I talk to the area manager and explain that I want to trim "small" branches and brush, then I ask if that is OK.
I have found that most say yes it is, but they do not want trees cut down.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:45 am

I appreciate the input.
I am looking for ways to get more mobile, especially in early season, and getting to spots that are way off the beaten track.

I noticed on another thread about "beast" tactics that being "in shape" was mentioned.
Being in shape is a definate advantage, but some things are somewhat out of a persons control.

As I get older my joints just hurt alot after packing all the gear in/out for a long ways.

I am also looking for easier ways to get steps in a tree.....I have to give some different steps a try.

I would really like to kill a good public land buck here next season... 8-)

Wanted to do this a few seasons ago, but an episode of heat stroke pretty much derailed that for a couple of seasons. Hopefully the aftereffects of that are pretty much over.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:57 am

Zap wrote:I appreciate the input.
I am looking for ways to get more mobile, especially in early season, and getting to spots that are way off the beaten track.

I noticed on another thread about "beast" tactics that being "in shape" was mentioned.
Being in shape is a definate advantage, but some things are somewhat out of a persons control.

As I get older my joints just hurt alot after packing all the gear in/out for a long ways.

I am also looking for easier ways to get steps in a tree.....I have to give some different steps a try.

I would really like to kill a good public land buck here next season... 8-)

Wanted to do this a few seasons ago, but an episode of heat stroke pretty much derailed that for a couple of seasons. Hopefully the aftereffects of that are pretty much over.

Are you allowed to use screw in steps? If so, I always used the single fold cobra steps. I had a 10 inch piece of pipe for a cheater. You could turn them in like butter. I don't know if you can buy them any more.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:00 am

Screw ins are legal in Kansas and Nebraska, but not Missouri.

Those are the places I would like to hunt this coming season.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:26 am

I have an issue with my syatic nerve in my left leg and my lower back... I still pack somewhat heavy but just take my time. Take a break when you need one, and give yourself plenty of time to get out there and to come back so your not over exerting yourself.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:18 am

I just set up my tree (or as Dan mentioned, several trees ) and come back when I'm ready to hunt it. My advantage is I use a sling. I haven't weighed my gear but everything I carry is probably less than 20#. My sticks are the heaviest and bulkiest part of all my gear. Some spots don't require the sticks so I travel super light. The bottom line is if it's a pain in the behind to get heavy gear in I have a hard time making myself go to those places.

Here's a weight saving idea. You could stash your steps near your tree so you wouldn't have to carry them in each time and no one would notice them screwed in the tree.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:58 pm

Dewey wrote:
BigHunt wrote:

well in Wisconsin we cant put pegs in the tree....and i have a lone wolf so i dont have to worry about that ;) :mrgreen:

X2
But if it were legal I would be afraid to leave any sign I was there with fear that somebody else would see it and move in on me.

Best to mark the spot down and wait for the right time to move in with your LW.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I feel the same way.
rudy78
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716176610

Unread postby rudy78 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:27 pm

I do this a lot on private ground I hunt, but not much on public bc too many things can change. I will mark trees & trim them but not leave anything in them. If I leave something in them it's a lot less likely I will move my set if I should, so I don't tempt myself to be lazy. It seems like pressure & stuff vary so much year to year it's hard to come up with concrete places year to year. All it takes is someone hunting 100 yards away & the deer are all thrown off & all your work is for not. I would rather just have good areas & trees picked out & then play it by ear when I'm there to figure out where to go at the time.
As for doing it on private, I mark trees in march & then trim lanes, hang steps & stands at a latter point, usually may or June.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Full Access- Rom. 5:1-2

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”