New to Bow Hunting and Beast Style Hunting - where to start

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Z7WIBoy

New to Bow Hunting and Beast Style Hunting - where to start

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:26 am

Here is the scoop and looking for advice and thoughts on where to begin:
Background: I started bow hunting last year (can't count the 3 times I went when I was 14). I truly believe this style works after reading and thinking about all the advice that is available here. I have Dan's videos and have watched them several times gather info. I am scouting a couple public spots this Sunday. I have to this date never killed a buck with my bow.
Where to Start:
I have read and and seen on the video both Dan and Andre talk about not jumping in over your head - kill a couple bucks small or large to get your feet wet and then gather and learn from these hunts and then go full out Beast Style hunting. If you where to teach a new bow hunter this style and needed to get his feet wet where would you start? Is hunting lesser than mature deer the same process? Is scouting that same way, you will just notice small rubs and probably more in their beds than mature? Is there places in swamps/duck ponds/ hill country to look at rather than the typically mature bedding areas?

Most of you are probably rolling your eyes and saying this guy is an idiot but being new to both bow and beast, this is a ton of info/concepts to digest. I am not in anyway looking for an easy kill - I would do high fence hunts for that. I will put in the scouting and leg work but am just looking for some advice and thoughts on starting this new adventure.

Thanks, your grasshopper ;)
Tim
PS - I will be doing the spring scouting trip with Dan if the weekend works out (21st doesn't this time)

Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)
addisonlee

Re: New to Bow Hunting and Beast Style Hunting - where to st

Unread postby addisonlee » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:33 am

First off, welcome to the hunting beast. I'm in similiar shoes as you but will leave your questions for all the senior beast to answer and help out.

From my prespective, scouting in the off season will be your most useful homework for the upcoming season. I've found the scouting and land managment topics to be very helpful in finding new areas similar to the ones I hunt. Hope this helps a little. GL
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:35 am

One additional thought if any of your beasts live in St. Croix, Dunn, Polk Counies it would be nice to get together to share thoughts and ideas over beers or food. I am not looking for spots - those are personal I get, that just another way for members to hang out and share stories and tips and tricks that work for them. Heck I would even have you over for dinner and then we can shoot my 3D range - don't mind the kids and wife they are a package deal :D
Let me know if any folks live out this way and would be interested in getting together ;)
Platinum PETA Member
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:37 am

Your right on with the land management forum. I am starting to see patterns that Dan has posted on maps and topos. I never thought my plat book would get this much use and google earth :D
Platinum PETA Member
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:10 am

If you are just looking to get your feet wet I would try and focus on some doe and young buck bedding areas. They are going to be easier to find and you can really practice setting up on bedding areas. These deer often move earlier in the evening too so you have better odds of them coming by your tree during shooting hours. You also don't have to sneak in and be right on top of them to get some action, that can often be the most imtimidating thing to new beast style hunters. Who knows you might even find yourself setting up on a nice buck, even if you mess up it will be a great experience. The one thing you have to do is be willing to mess up and learn from your mistakes.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:13 am

Welcome to the Beast. You have one thing going for you from the start: proper attitude. I believe you'll do great.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:18 am

You don't start at the top, you work your way up. This site should help speed up the process, but you need to develope your own technique.

When I started bowhunting it took years just to get a button buck.

I'd even start, and be happy with a doe.

Stick around, and read, and ask questions. It will all come together in time.

I assume your hunting in Wisconsin? Are you new to hunting or just bowhunting?
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:33 am

Spysar wrote:You don't start at the top, you work your way up. This site should help speed up the process, but you need to develope your own technique.

When I started bowhunting it took years just to get a button buck.

I'd even start, and be happy with a doe.

Stick around, and read, and ask questions. It will all come together in time.

I assume your hunting in Wisconsin? Are you new to hunting or just bowhunting?

Thanks Spy
I am not new to hunting. Been deer hunting since I was 12. I gave up gun hunting due to family land conflicts and the thrill was just not there any more for me. I have killed a couple great 130's and even a 140 on deer drives in WI. My last hunt to help fill a doe tag for a cousin made me think it was time to change. Shoot a doe at 200 yards through the timber - everybody was amazed but the thrill was lost - I guess I like a challenge. Bow hunting gets me so pumped and the energy level when you see deer out ways any deer gun kill - personally. I did shoot 2 does last year with my bow but with 22 inches of snow and a food plot in northern wi - not to tough - they needed food it was 3 below each time.
Thanks for the input ;)
Platinum PETA Member
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:40 am

As you noted, I would suggest shooting some deer and building your way up to mature bucks. However, I would not recommend "hunting for small bucks"... What I mean is, set up on the bedding areas, set up for the biggest and the best... But at 1st, be happy shooting whatever you want. If you start out hunting specifically for young deer at food plots or where ever, your going to develop bad habits that might be hard to break. Set a goal. Maybe you want to shoot a buck... Maybe an 8 point. Work your way up.
The more deer you kill, the better you will be at killing them. Not saying you should shoot everything you see, But I do think the time to learn how to draw when a buck is close, when to shoot, how to move on stand, where to set the stand, etc, is NOT when the buck of a lifetime is standing underneath you.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:36 pm

Like Dan said I would scout out the biggest buck sign and hunt it, but be happy with whatever walks out for your first buck kill!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:41 pm

Hunting is what you make it.

You will get some very good advice here and I wish you success.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:46 pm

Zap wrote:Hunting is what you make it.

You will get some very good advice here and I wish you success.

x2 well said zap
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:32 pm

Like Dan said I would set a goal. Whatever you feel is a big enough buck you want to kill, being it a year old buck or a 3 year old buck.

And what Dan and PLB said don't hunt for small bucks. Hunt for a big one but if your happy with shooting a smaller one if it comes in go for it.

I shot a small 6 pointer for my first buck and I was happy as could be, besides the fact of everyone telling me it was too small and blah blah blah. Whatever makes you happy man. I just kept upping my standards after that kill, and have a come a long way but still have A LOT to learn...
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:02 pm

You asked where to start?

Dan has always recommended this time of year and going into spring to start scouting for next year. Just after the snow is gone (we don't have any yet) the sign from last year will still be there. In the snow you can find tracks and beds. Go to your spots and start wearing out boots.

Look for large tracks, beds, rub lines, scrape lines, and shed antlers. They will all be a piece to the puzzle. Take a camera and post some pics of what you find.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:07 pm

Welcome! There is lots of great information and discussion here.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”