My thoughts on why I won't track.....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Stump

My thoughts on why I won't track.....

Unread postby Stump » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:26 am

unless hrs upon hrs go by. Unless because of temps, schedule or I happen see it drop and die.......I'm not going to track a deer unless I wait 4-6 hrs or better go by. I don't have the opportunity to shoot at many deer, so if I lose one....it really stings! I'm not going to blame the BH because let's face it, I could screwed up somehow and didn't know it. But here's the scenario on a deer that I had on the 2nd to last day of the season......

Doe at right about 14-15 yards and I was in a ladder stand guessing 12-14' up. Put the pin right behind her leg, let go and heard a rib bone type crrraack at the shot. Anchored well and the shot felt great. She ran about 10 yards and stood there for about 20 seconds give or take. Standing there tail not moving and then slowly walks off into some brush and didn't see her, but heard her walking very slowly. Got down after dark and found the arrow. Complete pass through, zero tallow on the arrow with dark red blood tip to tip. But the odd thing was when I pulled the arrow out of the grass I looked at the BH and it was perfectly closed but rubber band gone(Rocky Mt Snyper 2 blade).

Waited an hr and 45 min to pick up the trail. Where she stood there was only a tennis ball size area of blood. Weird! I thought. Tracked for another hr, but only picked up pinky nail size drops of blood and had to keep back-tracking because the trail split into 3 others and couldn't find out which she took. Well come to find out that we had walked by her 3-4 different times at the hub of that trail. Kicked her up! Quit looking because we knew that he has zero blood to look for, no snow on the ground, thick and obviously it was dark. Looked in the morn for 2-3 hrs and nothing. Grid searched an entire ridge and on both sides of it.

Possible the head didn't open? I don't know. Possible my shot wasn't as good as I thought through the boiler room? I don't know. Even if it was a backstrap shot, I figured that I would have got more blood. I don't know. No guts on the arrow, zero tallow...even if it was 100% liver, one would think there should have been more blood especially at the place she stopped. I don't know. If we waited until morning after we saw what we had for bad blood trail, would we have found her in that bed then? I don't know. But we certainly did find her doing what we did.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: My thoughts on why I won't track.....

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:33 am

One thing I might suggest is to put another arrow in them if you can. My motto; shoot till they drop, you're out of arrows, or they are gone.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:34 am

If everyone waited 4-6hrs to begin tracking, we'd lose a lot less deer. So, I have to say I think that's commendable. But, if I shoot a deer at 7:30PM (early season), I'm not going to wait 'til midnight, if I think she's a goner.

What I WILL do is.....back the heck out - if the blood isn't indicative of a CSI crime scene (barring impending rain).

I've seen and heard about enough deer hit stories to know I have no idea what happened in your situation. I'll let a deer lay a LOT longer (and in higher temps) than I hear people say is "OK". I've never recovered a deer the next morning and not been able to eat the meat, either.

I tell everyone.....if he's dead, he'll still be dead in a few hours. What's the rush?

One thing I might suggest is to put another arrow in them if you can. My motto; shoot till they drop, you're out of arrows, or they are gone.

Hear! Hear! I replace "til they drop" with "til they stop moving"! But Stanley's message is a good one.
Lateral Bowhunter
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:39 am

dark red blood = liver and YES you should always wait!

bright red or pink blood with bubbles = NO WAY am I waiting!

guts/stomach material = 10+ hours wait atleast!
You can't kill em on the couch
Stump

Unread postby Stump » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:43 am

JV NC wrote:If everyone waited 4-6hrs to begin tracking, we'd lose a lot less deer. So, I have to say I think that's commendable. But, if I shoot a deer at 7:30PM (early season), I'm not going to wait 'til midnight, if I think she's a goner.

What I WILL do is.....back the heck out - if the blood isn't indicative of a CSI crime scene (barring impending rain).

I've seen and heard about enough deer hit stories to know I have no idea what happened in your situation. I'll let a deer lay a LOT longer (and in higher temps) than I hear people say is "OK". I've never recovered a deer the next morning and not been able to eat the meat, either.

I tell everyone.....if he's dead, he'll still be dead in a few hours. What's the rush?

Hear! Hear! I replace "til they drop" with "til they stop moving"! But Stanley's message is a good one.

More arrows would have been in order if the shot would have presented itself. I think where my/our major error came into play was when we DIDN'T get out of there when we were finding the little blood that we were. I think what was still in the back of my mind was......the shot looked good, felt good, it was a pass through and we waiting 1 hr 45 min before picking up the 1st trail. We should have taken more stock in that first tennis ball size group of blood and said, nope and waited. Bad move in hindsight I guess......
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:17 am

I shot a nice buck a few years ago. I hit him a little back through the liver with a low exit hole. The buck bounded a few yards and then stood there for a few minutes with his head down staring back at his trail. Then the buck bounded a few more yards and walked off. I was nervous about the shot so I backed out.

The next morning I picked up the blood trail and found very good blood with a ton of blood where the buck stood. I ended up finding the deer around 100 yard from the shot STILL ALIVE! This was 14-16 hours after the shot with a low exit hole and great blood along the trail. He was not able to run away, but he was able to get up and slowly lumber off. I had to shoot him again to finish the deal. I have not doubt that if I would have trailed him that night he would have ran off with little chance of finding him.

Mature bucks are bigger animals and can withstand more traume than does or small bucks. But, on evening hunts if the shot is not a slam dunk and I don't see the deer fall, then I wait until the next morning.
"In the deed, the glory"
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:31 am

Brandon wrote:dark red blood = liver and YES you should always wait!

bright red or pink blood with bubbles = NO WAY am I waiting!

guts/stomach material = 10+ hours wait atleast!

X2
With the exception I will wait on lung hits if the deer is near and/or headed for a land border I can't cross.
uncleron

Unread postby uncleron » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:19 pm

Not real familiar with your broadhead, but I have seen many of them close fairly easily after passing through an animal, especially if you have to pull them out of the ground.

All you can do is learn from this. The animals I've recovered that walked away slowly after the impact all had some sort of gut hit. They wont always leave stomach matter on the arrow either. They often wont bleed very well (even if vitals were hit too) and most of the time they'll bed within 150 yards or so if you dont bump them. If you bump them from that first bed, there's a good chance you wont see them again. My rule of thumb for those types of hits is 10-12+ hours. If you wait it out and dont bump them from that first bed, they'll often die in that bed.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:35 pm

Just read Dead On by John Jeanneny - he sai dother than gut hits- track immediately. EMS always stabilizer injured by resting and keeping them warm- so letting a hit deer rest allows it to regain composure. Interesting take...
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:34 pm

Obviously you didn't hit the boiler room!! You may have hit a rib and the arrow deflected into a non vital area.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Stump

Unread postby Stump » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:59 am

Public Land Beast wrote:Obviously you didn't hit the boiler room!! You may have hit a rib and the arrow deflected into a non vital area.

Well no kidding. :clap: :lol:
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:15 am

Stump wrote:
Public Land Beast wrote:Obviously you didn't hit the boiler room!! You may have hit a rib and the arrow deflected into a non vital area.

You asked if it was possible that you didnt hit the boiler room and that you didn't know? Just stating the obvious sir! Backstrap shot produces very little meat blood.

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:20 am

Public Land Beast wrote:
Stump wrote:

You asked if it was possible that you didnt hit the boiler room and that you didn't know? Just stating the obvious sir! Backstrap shot produces very little meat blood.

Very good point... he did ask that. :shifty:
Stump

Unread postby Stump » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:36 am

Public Land Beast wrote:
Stump wrote:

Then I should have prefaced my post a little better by saying, "these were things that were going through my mind as we first started the track and weren't finding much at all for blood". Excuses maybe as to why that doe wasn't laying 40-50 yards from where I shot.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:49 am

I would never expect the deer to be dead within sight on a DARK red blood hit.

You need to look at the evidence (arrow) and not where you THINK your arrow hit.

Once you discover DARK red blood OR fat OR guts OR anything BUT bright red blood with bubbles you should wait.

A lot of guys slam lighted knocks, but when I can pick up my arrow to see what kind of blood I got without any searchin they are worth there weight in gold!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”