Is this "fair chase".

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
whitetail007
500 Club

Re: Is this "fair chase".

Unread postby whitetail007 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:45 pm

the great bait debate, its worse than politics and religion. :hand:

I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:32 am

As long as the state you are hunting in deems it legal, and you obey the legal limit and all applicable hunting laws,then I would say it would be fair chase.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:09 am

:character-grover:
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:13 am

I would have a hard time using bait if it was legal, I know a food plot is a giant bait pile in a way. You would not be right or wrong, it's your hunt and if it legal method do what you want.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:06 am

Would it work - You never know until you try. Would the deer eat the bait? There have only been a couple of times when I have had trouble with getting deer to eat bait. I use bait to throw out in front of my cameras to get the deer to pose for a picture. I don't hunt over bait because in my opinion, it increases the amount of things that can go wrong. Deer prefer to travel into the wind as you know, they will get way downwind of that bait to the point that there's practically no way they won't catch your scent if you are set-up close to it. Again, this is just my opinion.

Best method - Nope, I don't think so. Two all day sits for me, see if I can catch a glimpse of that buck in daylight, any time when I can get a shot, and then back to the drawing board and set-up on him right after hoping he does whatever he did when I last saw him. Dispersing bait causes a lot of human intrusion. Unless you are hunting in an area where deer are very accustomed to human interaction, the scent from dispersing bait and frequenting the area to put it out again could bump him. When I put out cameras and bait to do my "inventory" check just to see what deer are still around in the late season, I try to sneak in and out and keep scent in mind. I don't hunt over this bait either.

If the two all day sits doesn't work for me, I do the four squares approach. Draw a 200 yard by 200 yard square around where you think the buck spends the most amount of his time and hunt the corners as the wind permits.

Fair chase - Nothing is truly fair in my opinion. After all, we are trying to kill the animal. Sports games should be fair - if hunting was fair you would hear about a lot of dead hunters. But if you want to shoot that deer and try to do so by realizing the fact that whitetails are slaves to their stomach, go for it. This time of year, deer have to eat.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:26 am

"Fair chase"? IMO, no. It doesn't really matter what I think, though. I've grown to draw my line at "is it legal?".

Would it work? I'm betting yes.

I heard the Nuge tell a story of Fred Bear baiting with corn....when he had young hunters hunting with him. And, Mr. Bear didn't stop there. He once walked a Mule into the Yukon territory and promptly shot it in the head.....to use it for grizzly bait.

If hunter "A" is hunting legally........I can't figure out why it means anything to hunter "B".

But, you asked!

Sincerely,

Hunter "B"
Lateral Bowhunter
addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:21 am

Do what you gotta do, as long as its legal. Afterall, its "fair chase" for everyone else hunting that area as well. GL
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:34 am

Not fair chase.
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
snoman4

Unread postby snoman4 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:56 am

I would think it is fair chase because there is nothing to say that particular buck is going to eat that pile of bait, whether in the daytime or nighttime, unless he is starving and there is nothing else to eat around in his neck of the woods. A really mature buck may have enough experience that he completely shies away from the area of the bait because he has discovered that bait equals hunters or other predators. If legal in your area I would see nothing wrong with it. It is no different than someone posted above in having another hunter slowly bump the deer towards somebody in the stand. Just because that deer is bumped does not mean it is going to come within shooting range of the person on the stand. Baiting, pushing bush, and hunting late season foodplots are all just different tactics that try to help us be more successful. These methods are not guaranteed to give you a deer kill. If these tactics are legal there is nothing wrong with them in my book.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:09 am

it's absolutely fair chase. unless of course the deer is in a fenced in pen. a wild deer can go anywhere he pleases reguardless of what is on the ground, thus baiting is 100% fair chase. some don't like to bait, some do, nothing wrong with either decisicion. I don't think it's fair to say using bait is not fair chase. if that is the case, many things could be catorgized as bait: using calls, hunting with scents, using mock scrapes, food plots, this list can go on and on. whatever method you choose is fine as long as it falls within the legal limits of the law.
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:51 am

Zap wrote:
Czabs wrote:That's fair chase in my book

Would I put a baitpile out?....MAYBE during late season if I had my own land

Do I think it is easier to kill a big buck with a bait pile?...No, but It is obviously easier to kill A deer over a bait pile.

To each their own.

?
Are you interpeting/defining the scenario I proposed as a "bait pile".
I just want to be sure that we can understand your opinion.

Thanks.

You had in your post "scattering bait around". That to me is a baitpile. What is the difference besides the fact its not in a pile, it's scattered around... :roll: .
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:53 am

Zap wrote:
Hodag Hunter wrote:Yeah, no kidding. Pick a different topic that hasn't been beaten to death.

I believe that we can have a civil discussion of that scenario on this forum.

Would it work?
Is it the best method?
Is it a "fair chase" scenario?

Maybe I should have worded the first post better...in fact I will edit it now.

It could work but I think if it doesn't you are more likely to screw it up.

No, it is not the best best method IMO.

Yes, it is fair chase IMO.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:59 am

Czabs wrote:That's fair chase in my book

Would I put a baitpile out?....MAYBE during late season if I had my own land

Do I think it is easier to kill a big buck with a bait pile?...No, but It is obviously easier to kill A deer over a bait pile.

To each their own.

I bait the late season and agree with czabs its easier to kill A deer over bait! The one thing I found running cams was when those doe fawns and second heat does come into heat, in an area with little other food sources the bucks will come to the bait piles checking for does!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:03 am

Bait pile, scattering bait, not much difference except they work a little harder for it when you scatter it around like "chicken feed" as grandpa says. You are still running a bait "station" of sorts. The amount of activity there varies I suppose, if a guy scattered a couple gallons of corn and the deer had to work for it, vs one pile you may need to refresh the supply a little less. You would find less regular visitors to the bait though if it was scattered and there was not a regular refreshing of the supply. If you can access the area by truck/atv the deer become trainable to hearing the sounds of the truck and knowing the bait is there. If you can keep the hunter pressure low there should be good activity IMO. Not from a mature buck though, not during daylight.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:11 am

Baiting is legal in NC and 95% of hunters use bait piles. Mainly corn. My first year hunting I poured out a corn pile but no need luck. It seemed to do way more harm than good. I put a pile out behind doe bedding area and they never touched it. Serval times they walk 10yds right past it. They know its not natural for it to be there. However on one 15 acre spot I have to hunt, Its my grandpa's land I pour a few bags of corn out right when the soy beans turn brown just to keep the deer coming to his side of the swamp. The only other food source is a few oaks and a VERY small clover patch. No one has ever shot a deer off that corn pile. Its on the edge of the field and no one has ever seen deer eating out of it during the season but they devour it during night time hours. This upcoming season Lord willing we are going to have a row of late season food along that edge instead of corn to incourage daylight movement. As far as ethics.....Im not sure were I stand. Too many hunters around here seem to depend on it. For a hunter w/ no ag land and no equipment or money to start a small food plot w/ is there much difference in a corn pile and a 1/8 acre food plot?

For me its a method I no longer use.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”