How many bow hunters kill a deer and never find it?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:00 am

Opinions wanted.

Same ? about gun hunters.

Please answer so as to address the two types of hunters seperatly. :mrgreen:

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Re: How many bow hunters kill a deer and never find it?

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:03 am

I would think the number of deer lost is higher with bowhunters, it just happens not every deer is recovered not every shot is perfect. It stinks. However, I think bowhunters put in a greater effort to recover their deer.

I think there are a lot of gun hunters who won't put in the effort to look for a deer if it doesn't drop or runs off out of sight. It's an assumed miss. Its easier to recover a deer that is shot with a 30-06 than a bow, but that also leads to laziness on the part of SOME people.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:20 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:I would think the number of deer lost is higher with bowhunters, it just happens not every deer is recovered not every shot is perfect. It stinks. However, I think bowhunters put in a greater effort to recover their deer.

I think there are a lot of gun hunters who won't put in the effort to look for a deer if it doesn't drop or runs off out of sight. It's an assumed miss. Its easier to recover a deer that is shot with a 30-06 than a bow, but that also leads to laziness on the part of SOME people.

I actually think more deer are lost with gun than bow. There's more gun than bow hunters. Gun hunters take shots that they shouldn't through brush because they think a bullet isn't affected and will cut through it. Deer drives are shooting deer running away from them and they're just throwing lead at the deer and hope they hit it. They shoot farther distances and don't necessarily find the exact spot the deer was standing and don't find blood and they assume they miss. Bowhunters are closer to their target, less of them and can relatively get to the exact spot they shot to look for blood. And I agree I think Bowhunters put forth more effort to retrieve the animal.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:28 am

JRM6868 wrote:
BackWoodsHunter wrote:I would think the number of deer lost is higher with bowhunters, it just happens not every deer is recovered not every shot is perfect. It stinks. However, I think bowhunters put in a greater effort to recover their deer.

I actually think more deer are lost with gun than bow. There's more gun than bow hunters. Gun hunters take shots that they shouldn't through brush because they think a bullet isn't affected and will cut through it. Deer drives are shooting deer running away from them and they're just throwing lead at the deer and hope they hit it. They shoot farther distances and don't necessarily find the exact spot the deer was standing and don't find blood and they assume they miss. Bowhunters are closer to their target, less of them and can relatively get to the exact spot they shot to look for blood. And I agree I think Bowhunters put forth more effort to retrieve the animal.

I agree.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:42 am

I have seen way more deer injured by gun hunters than bowhunters. Like was said this is a product of deer drives and people taking running shots and other low percentage shots a bowhunter would never even think of taking.

Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:27 am

I have shot deer I never found.

But I don't know if I killed them or not.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:34 am

I know I have shot deer I have killed and have not recovered... I think most hunters have.
I believe gun hunters lose a lot more than bow hunters. I often see gun hunters taking low percentage shots and never looking to see if they hit or not. On deer drives you see shots fired at deer running and guys never looking for blood, or halfheartedly looking. I think by nature a bowhunter is more knowledgeable on average than a gun hunter. He probably has been a gun hunter and advanced into bow hunting.
hammered 16

Unread postby hammered 16 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:47 am

I always look and make sure I didn't hit the deer or I didn't wound the deer with a gun we do deer drives I used to wound deer with a 20 gauge shot so I got a 12 ga I find 90 percent of what I shoot at with shot gun or black powder I just started bow hunting and have only shot at one deer Isaw the arrow go under and I still followed the tracks to make sure I a equal amount is wounded of course if you put a gun or bow I an a untrained persons hand you are going to get wounded deer I practice and practice with gun and bow so I can make sure I don't wound deer yea I have lost deer every one has lost a deer it's part of hunting

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:37 am

I believe that of ALL bowhunters, in a season close to 50% put an arrow thru a deer and do not find it.

How many of those die?

That would be hard to say.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:58 am

Sooner or later.....EVERY ONE OF THEM.

I believe about 10% of the "he'll live"....or, "I saw the deer I injured a month later...and he's just fine" I see touted on the internet.

I believe the percentage that end up perishing from hunting wounds is much higher than people want to admit to.

Call me a skeptic......
Lateral Bowhunter
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:08 am

Zap wrote:I believe that of ALL bowhunters, in a season close to 50% put an arrow thru a deer and do not find it.

How many of those die?

That would be hard to say.

That seems awfully high!

I know quite a few years back there was a study done on this with bowhunters at Camp Ripley in Minnesota. I don't have time to dig it up but I'm sure if you Google it you will find it right away. An article was written for Deer & Deer Hunting Magazine I believe.

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:12 am

I believe that with the amount of new bowhunters, light poundage bows being popular along with mechanicals....there are alot shot and not found.

If you are talking hard core bowhunters I would think the #'s would be alot lower.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:15 am

Zap wrote:I believe that with the amount of new bowhunters, light poundage bows being popular along with mechanicals....there are alot shot and not found.

If you are talking hard core bowhunters I would think the #'s would be alot lower.

I agree with that.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:22 am

I found info on the Camp Ripley study. It's kinda old but should give some idea...... http://www.fredbear-online.com/POD/RipleyStudy.doc

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:25 am

8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”