How do you handle ranging your deer?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swampthing
500 Club

How do you handle ranging your deer?

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:12 pm

Wondering how you guys handle ranging your shots. Are you predetermining different ranges before the deer steps out. Or just using your experience to judge for you. Or are you actually putting your range finder on the animal just before the shot?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Re: How do you handle ranging your deer?

Unread postby Czabs » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:16 pm

I usually play out all the different scenarios in my head and range all the possible spots I think I will see deer. When a deer comes out I remember where I ranged and remember the range of the shot. It is much easier early season to range them right before the shot, I have done that too. But for the most part I know how far they are with preranging the distance beforehand.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:20 pm

I've done all three. I usually range predetermine shots after getting settled in stand. Instinct kicks in on some. Usually I have my 20 yarder then it's plus or minus. If I have time and their not in a predetermined shot area I'll range them.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:31 pm

Czabs wrote:I usually play out all the different scenarios in my head and range all the possible spots I think I will see deer. When a deer comes out I remember where I ranged and remember the range of the shot. It is much easier early season to range them right before the shot, I have done that too. But for the most part I know how far they are with preranging the distance beforehand.

X2
NightwishMike
500 Club

Unread postby NightwishMike » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:48 pm

I range some trees and use instinct from there. Shooting my recurve helps a ton with that. The experience carries over to compounds too.
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:32 am

NightwishMike wrote:I range some trees and use instinct from there. Shooting my recurve helps a ton with that. The experience carries over to compounds too.

Yup. I find it hard to believe by the "pros" that they range a a 160" buck at 20 yds. I can't even range a doe without her spottin' me. Most of the hunting shows are edited for marketing I'm sure. I always pre-range objects and use some common sense.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:51 am

I like to pre range several spots around me. I often forget the ranges during a hunt though and have to keep checking them!! Lol! If I don't have my rangefinder along I like to take 10 yard increments in my head or use instinct and experience to make my decision. Learn to trust the first number that comes to mind..

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:54 am

I usually range a few trees for reference when using the compound. I usually guess the yardage of a tree then range it to get some practice in guessing yardage. I am usually within 2 or 3 yards. I rarely pull out the range finder when deer come in for a shot. I used it once last year when some deer came through down an unsuspecting trail so I ranged the trail ahead of them in an opening and took a shot when they got there.

For the recurve I dont even take a range finder because I only shoot 20 yards and that is easier enough to guess.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:48 am

I always pre range trees and things but I amost always range the actual animal. 4 out of the past 6 deer I killed I ranged before the shot.

I would say unless a buck comes in running. Or ion the tail of a doe, if you don't have the time to range the actual deer you might be rushing the shot, that's how I think of it. I like to take my time and wait for the right opportunity.

I shoot my bow a lot. Shoot 3D all summer, practicing range and am usualy on within 3 yards after ii check my guess with the rangefinder. Even with all off this practice, I missed 2 deer this year that I did not range. One on a good buck and one on a doe. In the heat of the moment when things happen fast I seem to mis judge yardage.

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:51 am

Pre range for me as well. My rangefinder is kind of spotty. Sometimes it works right away, sometimes I have to push the button a couple times. If the cover is thick, sometimes it takes a few tries to range the tree at 34 yards instead of the branch at 12 yards, so it would be tough to risk trying to range a deer as it came in. I have enough distraction trying to get the camera on it.

Seems to never fail though, I'll have deer come in during the rut that I never would have guessed a deer would go to and have to guess on the range. I've missed a couple that way.
jigga

Unread postby jigga » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:57 am

i usually range trees and openings when i get into the stand. shooting from and guessing unknown yardages during the off season helps alot as well. I dont want to be looking for my range finder when a deer comes walking in
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:20 am

Public Land Beast wrote:I like to pre range several spots around me. I often forget the ranges during a hunt though and have to keep checking them!! Lol! If I don't have my rangefinder along I like to take 10 yard increments in my head or use instinct and experience to make my decision. Learn to trust the first number that comes to mind..

x2
uncleron

Unread postby uncleron » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:22 am

I used to pace off a certain distance on my way to the stand. Once on stand, I would look at the spot where I started counting and draw an imaginary circle at that distance all the way around my stand. I would also look at the original spot, find a landmark at half that distance, then twice that distance and draw 2 more imaginary circles around my stand. Worked pretty well.

Now I just pre-range all my shots as soon as I get on stand. I have yet to range a deer right before I shoot it.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:24 am

I range a few spots I think he will come from and also a free trees in a few different direction. Once I have a general feel for the whole area I lock it in my brain and shoot on auto pilot. It doesn't hurt to test yourself and re-range a few spots mid-hunt.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:25 am

I range objects that are the furthest I will shoot from a particular stand on all 4 sides. That is usually 40-45 yards, so if the deer comes in half that distance I shoot it for 20-22 yards. I don't think I have ever ranged an actual animal while bowhunting. If I range a lot of objects I would never remember them, but if I know that that stump is 40 yards I can adjust accordingly.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”