Hunting deer on cold windy days

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

U.P. MAN
500 Club

Re: Hunting deer on cold windy days

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:03 am

Spysar wrote:Put the wind in your face, and walk sloooowly. One step, look around, one step, look around...Use the noise of the wind to cover your movements. Spot one before it spots you.
. When taking out a new hunter it is hard to beat this tactic. Last two years for youth season took my niece out and hunted spot & stalk like this. Very exciting and no time to be bored. She scored both years. Absolutely nothing wrong with sitting in a blind,spot & stalk does teach more though.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:05 am

kenn1320 wrote:So did you take her hunting? Whats the scoop?

ya we went out go figure we saw two bucks Saturday mouring ...... :roll:

good to know though saw one buck come out of a known bedding area

Saturday night we saw 6 does not shot they were 56 yards in a field we could not hunt .......and then as we walked to the car there stud two does looking at us ..they walked off like nothing even happened :roll: ..
she slept in this mouring as I scouted

no luck ...don't worry Dan the does are still running :lol: heard A LOT of shots though :|
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:11 pm

BigHunt wrote:
matt1336 wrote:On a windy day the deer will be out of the wind. The lee side of hills are a good place to look

ya i but though that deer bed on south facing slopes no matter where the wind is coming from in WINTER

If the wind is howln they are gona get outa the wind. A cold strong wind will suck the energy right out of a deer. Pine plantations are another good spot to get outa the wind.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:17 pm

matt1336 wrote:
BigHunt wrote:
matt1336 wrote:On a windy day the deer will be out of the wind. The lee side of hills are a good place to look

ya i but though that deer bed on south facing slopes no matter where the wind is coming from in WINTER

If the wind is howln they are gona get outa the wind. A cold strong wind will suck the energy right out of a deer. Pine plantations are another good spot to get outa the wind.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Not all the time. Saw 3 does today here in MN tonight headed for corn. Winds were howlin.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”