deer kill #'s

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tim
500 Club

deer kill #'s

Unread postby tim » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:54 am

anybody know what tthe deer kill was for gun season? i havent heard anything ,usually im hearing reports all season long and nothing this year on radio or in paper.

Dewey

Re: deer kill #'s

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:55 am

The DNR was supposed to put out a report yesterday. So far I haven't heard or found anything.
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:57 am

I thought I heard that the kill was up by ~10% but I can't confirm that.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:58 am

Just checked again on DNR website and now they are saying the numbers will be released today.
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:38 am

Mountain Man wrote:I thought I heard that the kill was up by ~10% but I can't confirm that.

If that were the case it would still be way low as they base it off the year before. Consider the fact that the last few years have been some of the lowest in Wi history 10% up is nothing. 10% of crap is still crap, also consider that we have no choice than to Take the numbers the DNR gives us. They control the info, so we will NEVER know the true numbers.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:45 am

Is this somewhat how they do it?

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:48 am

Stanley wrote:Is this somewhat how they do it?

That pretty much sums it up Stanley.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:29 am

Rutnstrut wrote:
Mountain Man wrote:I thought I heard that the kill was up by ~10% but I can't confirm that.

If that were the case it would still be way low as they base it off the year before. Consider the fact that the last few years have been some of the lowest in Wi history 10% up is nothing. 10% of crap is still crap, also consider that we have no choice than to Take the numbers the DNR gives us. They control the info, so we will NEVER know the true numbers.

Exactly!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
forgehunter
500 Club

Unread postby forgehunter » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:56 am

Rutnstrut wrote:

i will give that a +1 billion!
Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jimmy V.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:25 am

At the little local registration that I go to, they said it ended up with 910 deer I believe, and it was up 26 from last year.... I believe somewhere right around 450 were adult bucks.
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:10 pm

Preliminary count shows hunters harvested 226,260 deer during the nine-day season
No hunting fatalities recorded for second consecutive year

MADISON – A call around survey of 600-plus deer registration stations all across Wisconsin completed today shows a preliminary harvest total of 226,260 for the just completed nine-day gun deer hunting season, up 3.6 percent from 2010. At the same time, hunters posted the second all around safest season on record.

The nine-day harvest numbers are preliminary and are expected to change before a final report is published in late winter. The total does not include harvest information from the archery, October antlerless gun deer hunt, muzzleloader, December antlerless deer gun hunt or late archery seasons. The preliminary nine-day gun harvest count in 2010 was 218,144 and in 2009 was 201,994.

“Overall participation was good. We had a 3.6 percent increase in deer harvested compared to 2010 and the reports that we’ve been getting in from the field are that in many parts of the state hunters saw more deer,” stated Tom Hauge, wildlife director for the state Department of Natural Resources. “That said, we do know that not everyone got a deer this year, or saw a deer. The herd in parts of the state is still rebounding and that even within counties with higher harvests, deer aren’t distributed evenly.”

A table of county by county harvest (pdf) broken down by DNR region, with a comparison to the 2010 preliminary harvest is available on the DNR Web site.

The preliminary tally showed hunters harvested 102,837 bucks and 123,423 antlerless. This compared to 2010 preliminary harvest figures of 102,121 bucks and 116,160 antlerless.

“Harvests suggest that deer herds are increasing in some of the units where deer numbers were previously below goal," Hauge said. "We also saw an increase in buck harvest in the CWD zone with the new provision this year allowing hunters to shoot a buck first before having to go to earn-a-buck rules for a second buck in the zone. This was a popular change among hunters I’ve heard from.”

“As far as hunting conditions and deer observations, we will be interested in seeing the data hunters provided on their registration stubs,” added Hauge. “We know broadly what weather conditions were like, but data from individual hunters in the field provides a much more personal and localized perspective. We will summarize these finding along with the harvest totals in February.”

In February, DNR biologists will use unit-level harvest numbers to develop overwinter population estimates and will propose season structures for 2012 in March.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:12 am

I think it's funny how they are trying to make everyone think the harvest was up from last year. Of course it is up because there were more tags available this year! There were 69,900 bonus tags sold this year, and 7,919 more deer shot. All Wisconsin is going to get is a bunch of lying with statistics. I guess that is what they are paying "Dr. Deer" $200,000 for.
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:27 am

2011 Vilas County 1215 bucks 686 antlerless 1901 total 96% increase
2010 Vilas County 928 bucks 40 antlerless 968 total

2011 Price County 1368 bucks 1596 antlerless 2954 total 31% increase
2010 Price County 1573 bucks 693 antlerless 2266 total
forgehunter
500 Club

Unread postby forgehunter » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:18 am

Haus86 wrote:I think it's funny how they are trying to make everyone think the harvest was up from last year. Of course it is up because there were more tags available this year! There were 69,900 bonus tags sold this year, and 7,919 more deer shot.

that is the dirty little secret they are not going to tell you about.... My unit was buck only last year! So of course it will be way up this year! they opened it back up to either...
Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jimmy V.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”