What would cause this?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
addisonlee

What would cause this?

Unread postby addisonlee » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:29 am

Opening morning of the 2011 WI gun deer season, I set up my dad on one of the big buck beds I've been seeing several bucks use during the archery season. 8am rolls around and I hear three gun shots from him. I call him up and ask if he got him. He tells me it was "Halo" (buck on my profile I've been after all season) and he missed at 30yds broadside through some brush (using a 12ga w/ rifled barrel). My heart sank, knowing "Halo" won't be coming back to the area, or someone else shot him since I heard several shots after my dad missed. :cry:

So what would cause him to miss? His shooting path wasn't thick brush, just some small twigs a 1oz slug would easily go through. We sighted his red dot scope the weekend before at the range on a table and it was shooting 3 inch groupings at 50yds and 100yds, using the same ammo. Nothing was changed on the scope. The sight-in was early in the morning with a cold barrel as well.

We ended up going back to the range and it was way off, over a foot low to the right! (3 shots like this) :shock: Needless to say we readjusted the sights to shoot accurately at 50yds now, but what would cause it to suddenly change that much?

Any ideas? :?

Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Re: What would cause this?

Unread postby Casper » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:54 am

It doesnt take too much to knock a scope off of his target? Did he hit it on anything by accident?
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:57 am

Casper wrote:It doesnt take too much to knock a scope off of his target? Did he hit it on anything by accident?

Agreed it doesn't take much to knock a scope off. My dad completely missed the buck with all three shots. I can only hope the buck comes back, but I doubt it. :cry:
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:00 am

If he wasnt the one after your dad missed, he will be back eventually. I wouldnt think he would still be back this year though.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:48 am

I've never understood the "he won't be back" stuff. Not saying anyone's "wrong" or anything. But, there's really no way to know (unless someone on the adjacent property killed him.....and I'll concede he won't be back!).

I shot @ (bow) and clipped a nice buck in 2006. I saw him again the day after Thanksgiving that year....about 300yds up from where I'd hit him. He walked directly under my tree, caught my scent and bolted off, never offering a shot. I saw him again, about 150yds from there, on closing day 2006. He walked by me at 20yds. I didn't have a tag for him.

I saw him the night of our closer, 2006....crossing the road a mile up from his core.

2007 I saw him on 11/2. He busted me, drawing on him, on 11/3. I moved 50yds and killed him on 11/6/2007.

This was a 4.5y.o. buck (when I killed him). My point is.....I think it takes a LOT (even more than my clumsy self could dish out) to make a buck completely leave an area. Might he use it differently....or, at different times? Sure. But leave? I'm doubting it.

Good luck.
Lateral Bowhunter
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:00 pm

JV NC wrote:I've never understood the "he won't be back" stuff. Not saying anyone's "wrong" or anything. But, there's really no way to know (unless someone on the adjacent property killed him.....and I'll concede he won't be back!).

I shot @ (bow) and clipped a nice buck in 2006. I saw him again the day after Thanksgiving that year....about 300yds up from where I'd hit him. He walked directly under my tree, caught my scent and bolted off, never offering a shot. I saw him again, about 150yds from there, on closing day 2006. He walked by me at 20yds. I didn't have a tag for him.

I saw him the night of our closer, 2006....crossing the road a mile up from his core.

2007 I saw him on 11/2. He busted me, drawing on him, on 11/3. I moved 50yds and killed him on 11/6/2007.

This was a 4.5y.o. buck (when I killed him). My point is.....I think it takes a LOT (even more than my clumsy self could dish out) to make a buck completely leave an area. Might he use it differently....or, at different times? Sure. But leave? I'm doubting it.

Good luck.

A lot of variables in this, it might depend on how close you are to his bed. If you spook him or he busts you close to his bed (less than 75 yards) chanses are good he might locate to a new bedding area. If you are spooking him on various points during the year at further distances from his bedding area then he might still feel safe using that bed. I think in this case 3 gun shots close to his bed might have him high tailing it for a new safe zone and they wouldn't expect to see him during the WI rifle season. As usual never say never because anything is possible.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:05 am

headgear wrote:
JV NC wrote:I've never understood the "he won't be back" stuff. Not saying anyone's "wrong" or anything. But, there's really no way to know (unless someone on the adjacent property killed him.....and I'll concede he won't be back!).

Good luck.

A lot of variables in this, it might depend on how close you are to his bed. If you spook him or he busts you close to his bed (less than 75 yards) chanses are good he might locate to a new bedding area. If you are spooking him on various points during the year at further distances from his bedding area then he might still feel safe using that bed. I think in this case 3 gun shots close to his bed might have him high tailing it for a new safe zone and they wouldn't expect to see him during the WI rifle season. As usual never say never because anything is possible.

X2 I agree. Your not going to shoot at a buck 3 times after he stands up out of his bed and have him continue using that bed, If you are seeing a muature buck during daylight hours, that means he is in close proximity to his bedding. How close will determine weather or not he will continue using that bed, hence seeing him in that same area again.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:14 am

If that was his bed.. I highly doubt he will be back.

Sounds like he bumped the scope going into the woods or up the tree.
You can't kill em on the couch

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”