Buck dies from rutting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
PredatorTC
ProStaff

Buck dies from rutting

Unread postby PredatorTC » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:47 am

This gun season has been pretty crazy and actually kinda slow. Saturday night my brother had the biggest buck on our farm come running in with a doe. He said the buck was limping badly. Anyways a few gunshots later and the buck ran away unharmed. This is a buck I have a huge history with and is a definite traveler. There are two local swamps in our area that are about two miles apart. I hunt one pretty hard and my cousin hunts the other. In the same night my cousin and I would often get pictures of this buck 2 miles apart! So my brother shot at him in a field in one swamp and the buck was recovered by some random hunters in the other swamp two miles away. These people stumbled on this deer dead. You could tell he died recently. They gutted him and rolled him all around and there was not a single hole in the deer. Its eyes were crusty, rib cage showing, head swollen hips showing, and the spine was showing. This deer was defiantly worn out. A lot of people checked this deer out and everyone believes this buck died of old age or got sick. He basically ran himself to death during the rut. It’s sad to see a buck go down like this. I knew this deer very well. I had a very close call this year with him after he created an obvious pattern on trail camera. He came in after legal shooting. I had high hopes of getting him with the gun but it’s sad he had to go this way. This deer was known for his half ear and I belive is 5 years old

All the pictures make him look small but this deer had one heck of a rack

Brandon
500 Club

Re: Buck dies from rutting

Unread postby Brandon » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:02 am

sounds to me like he got hit by a car. Limping, not eating, no bullet hole, etc.

I wish you could have tagged him.
You can't kill em on the couch
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:16 am

Interesting! A buck I was hunting last year got shot In the end of November my a ML hunter. He dressed out at 145lbs. I 1st saw this buck last year late October. He was easily over 200lbs, he was a 5.5 year old buck. He too was a runner and very aggressive. He had one tine missing and 3 others that were chipped up. He had all of his points In tact 3.5 weeks earlier. I've often wondered If this buck would've made the winter last year. Specially with the bad winter we had.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:07 am

deer and deer hunting's Charlie Alshiemer, did a documentry on and older buck. He followed him around with a camera, during the rut. I forget how old the deer was, but it died after the rut. I also can't rember the exact thing he died from, but it was basically a bulid up of a some chemical, that builds up after extreme cardiovascular activity. Possibly lactic acid. It built up to levels that were toxic and killed the deer, they proved it through an autopsy.
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:46 am

CWD? A buck of that age would be the likely candidate to show the symptoms of it. I don't claim to believe the WI DNR's management theories on CWD, but it is still a real disease, and I would say a possiblity for this old guy

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”