I missed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Brandon
500 Club

I missed

Unread postby Brandon » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:45 am

Not much of a story, I missed a target buck who came in chasing 2 little does.

I thought he was about 28 yards, but he was 33. Im purchasing a range finder this week....

I passed a nice 8 the next day, but his G3 was broke and the entire right side of his rack was broke at the base of the main beam.

I got 5 days in a row to try and get this done.... this season has been tough!

You can't kill em on the couch
xpauliber
500 Club

Re: I missed

Unread postby xpauliber » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:21 am

Hang in there. The whole season can change in an instant. Bottom line is you gotta be out there.

Good luck!
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:13 am

Thanks for the kind words of encouragemeant. :)

We need more of that on this site.

Also, anyone care to age that buck? I do not think he is 2.... his body was huge, but he could be?

This is a MD deer.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:06 am

He's got that old look to him but maybe that's just the position or way he's standing. About the miss, That's bowhunting. Better then wounding him. Best of luck next time.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:10 am

I agree he is older than 2.5, at least 3 in my opinion maybe even 4. Sorry about the miss. Hopefully you get another crack at him. He sure is a nice one!
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:06 am

It's a hard thing to except when you put in that much time, effort and money just to miss a deer that you were after. I gave a haircut to a buck this year on the 3rd of November and didn't find any blood just alittle on the arrow and some hair. I didn't use my rangefinder that day either and look what happened, I also think it was the biggest deer i had in bow-range all year and it happened so fast because i was concentrating on a spike buck while filming when he came from the right of me. It's funny because in September I won a 3-D archery shoot on a field day for QDMA and i still blow it on the real thing. :lol: :lol:

Just keep on fighting because your next hunt could be the one!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:12 pm

Bummer.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:27 pm

Keep your head up, I bet you will get another shot at him!! GOOD LUCK!!
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:30 pm

:o
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:16 am

well.... he is still alive! I just went and pulled 3 cards on my lunch break.

We have a 2 day gun season tomorrow and Saturday and I have this guy on a couple cameras a LOT of times since I put out 3 cams this past Saturday.

usually I would be duck hunting.... and I have been, but this crazy weather has me chasing deer again. We had warm temps... then cold, we killed a lot of birds... then it got down to 17 degrees 2 nihgts ago... so everythign froze and birds gone. Today we are creeping up to 50 degrees, and it will be higher the next 2 days.

Not worth duck hunting, and I have a lot of deer on cam. They are not pressured at all. Seems most bucks lost there horns... but my #2 target buck is still moving and has both horns! I have a lot of pics of bucks with dropped horns. This buck lives on the property and he always shows up on cam in shooting hours and immediatley. The time is correct, but the date is one month off. These are from past couple days.

Looks like I will be late to work tomorrow morning... or leaving early. Not sure yet I have him coming and going.
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:40 am

I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I made a bad shot at a buck I had multiple times on cam. Shot him high in the shoulder on oct 28. He ran away with the arrow in him. Followed blood the next day for 150 yds and lost it. Got him on cam 3 weeks later. Went out last not on my neighbors for the first time kind of just seeing what kind of sign was in there(it's only a small patch of brush with a creek and some tilled up bean fields). Well I had 40 min of light left after getting through it so I decided to sit along the ditch and just watch. I was fumbling around on my Phone 20 min later and for some reason I turned around and there he is trotting up the field edge. He got to about 250 yds and turned into the brush but stopped just before getting in. I figured it was now or never so I held a little high and missed over him. My gun isn't sighted I'n that far and I know I kinda rushed the shot. Watched him bound away back across the field. No blood no hair. He's easily 150"+. Really made my heart sink to have that 2nd chance and not connect. Couple more days left and then a new season begins with scouting for next year.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:08 am

Good luck with him Brandon, by the way what model Wildgame camera do you run? real nice pics.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:15 am

Swampthing wrote:Good luck with him Brandon, by the way what model Wildgame camera do you run? real nice pics.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Thanks!

The cams I run are "Wildgame Innovations W4X Micro 4 Red 4MP Digital Infrared Scouting Camera"

1 I have is the 8mp version, but I havent used that one yet. I am very happy wuth these cams due to cost, very compatc, and run off AA batteries which is cheaper on the wallet.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:01 am

Brandon wrote:Thanks for the kind words of encouragemeant. :)

We need more of that on this site..

:? it dosent get better then this site

good luck with that buck dude ....i hope your next encounter is a good one 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:18 am

Good deal glad he is alive. Hope you knock his derriere into the dirt.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”