done with the Rage head

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muddy

done with the Rage head

Unread postby muddy » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:37 pm

Rage heads cost me 2 shots today on does. I had 2 big fat slickheads come in and when I got my bow back the arrow jumped a little in the rest, not much, just a fraction from pulling the string back so fast due to a cold shoulder. The arrow jumped and the blades popped open on my riser shelf. Had to let down and try to put them back into the rubber band, by the time it was over, the slicks were gone. I was pretty annoyed so I switched arrows to my other Rage.

Later I had 5 dinks trying to gang a doe and she zigged up under me, I got drawn back and as I was swinging around trying to get on the doe the other Rage did the same thing.

Now I know I had great luck with the first one but the other two in the package have just shoved it up my tail pipe. I will likely use them just to get them used but I will NEVER own a Rage head again.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
BigHunt

Re: done with the Rage head

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:44 pm

bad luck...i allways make sure there locked fermly and even make sure that the lips on the blade are fermly under the band ;) ....
your other heads do a number too that blood trail from your buck was impressive 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:47 pm

I hear ya. I have a couple left in the quiver. I have the grim reaper and a spitfire on the other two. Going back to the grim reapers after this year.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:48 pm

I used rage for one season and that was my complaint with them as well. They flew ok, not great, and I had to constantly watch them. I thought they had fixed that problem but I see they still do it. I went to slick tricks after the rage heads, I have shot 3 animals with the slick tricks, all 100 grain magnums, 2 died in sight(one went 35 yards, the other 70), and the buck I shot last week went 75 yards just out of sight. I have found them to be easier to tune than expandables, and they don't have o rings or anything that I need to worry about when I draw back.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:49 pm

BigHunt wrote:bad luck...i allways make sure there locked fermly and even make sure that the lips on the blade are fermly under the band ;) ....
your other heads do a number too that blood trail from your buck was impressive 8-)

They were locked firmly, I checked them this morning when I left the house because that's the biggest complaint I've heard about Rages. When these 2 are gone I'm done with that brand. I can only imagine how far I'd have thrown my bow if that had happened on a buck instead of a doe.

muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:50 pm

Brad Lamont wrote:I used rage for one season and that was my complaint with them as well. They flew ok, not great, and I had to constantly watch them. I thought they had fixed that problem but I see they still do it. I went to slick tricks after the rage heads, I have shot 3 animals with the slick tricks, all 100 grain magnums, 2 died in sight(one went 35 yards, the other 70), and the buck I shot last week went 75 yards just out of sight. I have found them to be easier to tune than expandables, and they don't have o rings or anything that I need to worry about when I draw back.

You know, I've heard amazing results from Slick Tricks and if I didn't love my Grim Reapers so much I'd try them. Maybe after I've used up my last 9 Reapers I'll try some SlickTricks. Have not heard a negative thing about them.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:52 pm

Brad Lamont wrote:I used rage for one season and that was my complaint with them as well. They flew ok, not great, and I had to constantly watch them. I thought they had fixed that problem but I see they still do it. I went to slick tricks after the rage heads, I have shot 3 animals with the slick tricks, all 100 grain magnums, 2 died in sight(one went 35 yards, the other 70), and the buck I shot last week went 75 yards just out of sight. I have found them to be easier to tune than expandables, and they don't have o rings or anything that I need to worry about when I draw back.

I have a couple packages of spitfires in the tackle box. They are good heads and fly nice. However, I found they whistle a bit. I like a quiet bow.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:55 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:I hear ya. I have a couple left in the quiver. I have the grim reaper and a spitfire on the other two. Going back to the grim reapers after this year.

You using the Whitetail Special type tip or the Trocrazor tip? I've used both, leaning towards the razortip.

UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:59 pm

I'm loving Wasp Bullets lately. Shot a couple of bucks with them last year, a couple this year. Watch them go down within sight. ;)
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:08 pm

I have never liked Rages for that reason! have never owned a Rage. Spitfire edges this year regular spitfires for the last decade. The edges are 1 3/4". Ive shot probably 40 plus deer with the spitfires with no issues at all. The swing open blade argument you hear about on angleing shots is crap! I have shot deer at very hard angles many times with no deflections.
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:18 pm

muddy wrote:
BigHunt wrote:bad luck...i allways make sure there locked fermly and even make sure that the lips on the blade are fermly under the band ;) ....

They were locked firmly, I checked them this morning when I left the house because that's the biggest complaint I've heard about Rages. When these 2 are gone I'm done with that brand. I can only imagine how far I'd have thrown my bow if that had happened on a buck instead of a doe.

i do it after i pull the arrow out of the quiver when im in the tree to make sure ...sorry i should of said that before :? ;) 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:25 pm

Maybe a stupid question, but why can't you still shoot with them open?
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:32 pm

Hmmm...been using them for several years now and NEVER had that happen. :think: Of course, I don't shoot a drop-away either.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:37 pm

adrenalin wrote:Maybe a stupid question, but why can't you still shoot with them open?

Wondered that too..what would happen...if your bow is tuned correctly, I would think they should still fly alright..

And muddy- I have been very impressed with my slick tricks..I see no reason to switch to anything else anytime soon.. You still need to have a tuned bow, but they seem to be more tolerant of imperfections as other heads. Simple design, pretty tough, and nothing fancy...and the price is really nice too!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:02 pm

muddy wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:I hear ya. I have a couple left in the quiver. I have the grim reaper and a spitfire on the other two. Going back to the grim reapers after this year.

You using the Whitetail Special type tip or the Trocrazor tip? I've used both, leaning towards the razortip.

I prefer the razortip head.

I'm not impressed with the ferrule on the rage. Its not just the o-rings.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”