What's your take on baiting?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
addisonlee

Re: What's your take on baiting?

Unread postby addisonlee » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:32 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:
addisonlee wrote:Interesting conversation... I didn't mean to start a war between baiters and non-baiters.

What do you have to add? You started the post must have some input, right?

The guys I'm debaiting ( pun intended :lol: ) are regulars here and understand. This is really a pretty cool sight where guys don't fight, may disagree, but no fighting or hard feelings.

Where I hunt it's legal to bait and only bait certain spots during the late season, as well as early in the season for trail cam pics only. (for the sole purpose of an inventory check) I have nothing against hunters who choose to bait or not. As long as it's legal its fair game IMO. Afterall, we're all out there to enjoy our passion for deer hunting.

Now to another question, would you let your good friend or family member bait your spot? Say you don't bait this spot and its a well known buck trail from a buck bed. What would you do?

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:48 am

addisonlee wrote:Now to another question, would you let your good friend or family member bait your spot? Say you don't bait this spot and its a well known buck trail from a buck bed. What would you do?

No. One guys human scent is probably too much the way it is....multiple guys walking in, even if differnt times can put the deer over the edge to not show at all.

Regarding bear baiting I am convinced a bear can tell different humans smell, we all smell different, and a "new" intruder could put them over the edge. I think the same for deer too.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:59 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:
addisonlee wrote:Now to another question, would you let your good friend or family member bait your spot? Say you don't bait this spot and its a well known buck trail from a buck bed. What would you do?

No. One guys human scent is probably too much the way it is....multiple guys walking in, even if differnt times can put the deer over the edge to not show at all.

Regarding bear baiting I am convinced a bear can tell different humans smell, we all smell different, and a "new" intruder could put them over the edge. I think the same for deer too.

no i would not either ...i put the hard work into finding that spot and coming up with a plan to hunt it so im not going to let someone mess it up for my self family member and the scent factor of it its bad enough that im scenting it up in there
just with one or two sits ...some one baiting going in there constinly scenting it up creates big problems..in my experinaces i see in late season that bucks will bedd real close to my bait and its real hard to get in there to hunt them
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
swamp-assassin
500 Club

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:40 am

i dont think anyone has ever shot a deer as a result of baiting...at least not a mature buck..it seems pretty stupid to me. i mean, the deer are not going to come in to a bait pile if they werent already coming in in the first place right? so why bother with a bait pile!? ok so if a deer is 100 yards downwind and smells your baitpile, wouldnt they also smell you too? so why would they come in!? i think they stop and snack on peoples bait piles when they are placed on their travel route but you didnt "bring in" the deer so to speak. so you might as well save your time and money...not to mention if you maintain a baitpile all your doing is causing the deer to become nocturnal. i think people that bait are generally misinformed about how to hunt and that they dont really know what else to do...just my two cents.
"Youll take my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking and a pile of empty brass and magazines at my feet." Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:50 am

very good point but i have bucks come in all the time ....the way the wind flows throught this vally ...they couldnt smell me if they wanted ...were im perched my scent gos straight up into the air nearly invincable 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:53 am

and yes your right assassin i havent shot any bucks hunting bait piles ...either therr to small or i just wacth them and learn ;) 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
swamp-assassin
500 Club

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:57 am

BigHunt wrote:very good point but i have bucks come in all the time ....the way the wind flows throught this vally ...they couldnt smell me if they wanted ...were im perched my scent gos straight up into the air nearly invincable 8-)

wow! must be nice! i dont know anyhting about hill country..but here in the flat country, baiting doesnt make sense that way...i know a few people who bait and they generally overhunt the area and place their trailcam next to their stand...then they wonder why the deer dont show up until dark...the =ONLY way i could see baiting to be usefull is to establish a food source, then ambush them on their way to the food source, not on top of it..if you want to bait go ahead i dont really care..no ethical problem with it, i just think its pointless and in most cases does more harm to you filling your tag than help :)
"Youll take my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking and a pile of empty brass and magazines at my feet." Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:58 am

swamp-assassin wrote:
BigHunt wrote:very good point but i have bucks come in all the time ....the way the wind flows throught this vally ...they couldnt smell me if they wanted ...were im perched my scent gos straight up into the air nearly invincable 8-)

wow! must be nice! i dont know anyhting about hill country..but here in the flat country, baiting doesnt make sense that way...i know a few people who bait and they generally overhunt the area and place their trailcam next to their stand...then they wonder why the deer dont show up until dark...the =ONLY way i could see baiting to be usefull is to establish a food source, then ambush them on their way to the food source, not on top of it..if you want to bait go ahead i dont really care..no ethical problem with it, i just think its pointless and in most cases does more harm to you filling your tag than help :)

i only hunt onec or twice then let them go to town on it
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Hilts

Unread postby Hilts » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:59 am

Swamp-assassin, you would be amazed at how many mature bucks are killed over bait. Early season, mid-season, rut, gun, late season it don't matter. Most of the time I get looked at funny, in my neck of the woods, when I say I don't bait. Many around here put more time into baiting then they do actually hunting. Many of them are guys who don't have the time or that much interest to be in woods bow hunting every minute they can. They do other things until a buck shows up on camera at their bait and then they go hunt.
swamp-assassin
500 Club

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:10 am

Hilts wrote:Swamp-assassin, you would be amazed at how many mature bucks are killed over bait. Early season, mid-season, rut, gun, late season it don't matter. Most of the time I get looked at funny, in my neck of the woods, when I say I don't bait. Many around here put more time into baiting then they do actually hunting. Many of them are guys who don't have the time or that much interest to be in woods bow hunting every minute they can. They do other things until a buck shows up on camera at their bait and then they go hunt.

i would be amazed...i know of alot of the people that you are describing but i dont know any of them that ever take a respectable buck. seems like all the human scent involved in baiting and checking cameras would mean nocturnal deer.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:30 am

swamp-assassin wrote:i would be amazed...i know of alot of the people that you are describing but i dont know any of them that ever take a respectable buck. seems like all the human scent involved in baiting and checking cameras would mean nocturnal deer.

I would agree that most mature bucks are not visiting the bait during daylight hours 99% of the time, which has also been my experience with the limited amount of baiting we have done in wisconsin when we hunt there. For rifle season, my whole family comes out there, and my uncle hangs all the stands and gets everything ready, so its much easier for him to just hang stands in remote areas and then throw some corn out for us rather than scouting hard and trying to hang 15 stands for us all in good spots.. I really could care less if he put the bait out or not, since like SA mentioned, the human scent and activity involved probably does more damage than it helps...

Anyways, a few years ago, one of my uncles killed an old mature buck, and it was a direct result of the bait (well..kinda direct)..He had two does come in and head right to the corn pile, and that buck was hot on their trail...
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:13 pm

mcmidc wrote:
g3s wrote:We do put bait out in the UP here and sit near those locations for days on end....I have no problem with it, and actually really enjoy getting the chance to see and video some pretty cool stuff over the bait

G3s were all those stud Delta county bucks you guys shot off of baited blinds?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Some have been shot over bait and others shot at river crossings or rub lines....I would say 50/50
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:40 pm

Wow so many different views on this its incredible really that it stayed so calm. Beasts are a respectable group!

I think its interesting to make a claim against the skills of a bait hunter and a generation as a whole. Maybe laziness is to blame for lack of woodsmanship not the baiting epidemic? If I am no woodsman because I spent 3 of the last 6yrs hunting over bait then neither are any farm country kids sitting in a box blind over a corn field. The farmers who leave one pass of standing corn in the field for deer season. Poor hunters. The food plotters who plant a crop that is tasty when the frost hits-just in time for gun season? They are great hobby farmers but must be poor hunters. Sure corn draws deer into a specific spot to get them feeding but here's a tip. Scatter it out like chicken feed. They work hard, they aren't in a central spot and they know they have to compete for every kernel so they focus more on each other than potential danger. But what would I know I'm a silly bait hunter? I am gravitating away from hunting bait but don't be fooled its my favorite late season tactic. I hunt Oneida County west and south of Rhinelander area. Hunting around Christmas with highs of -5 degrees over a corn pile is definitely hunting I can promise you that. When you get up 16ft and are rocking in the wind I bet its colder than -5. I think that makes me MORE of a hunter than the guys who hang it up and sit around the fire place inside. But whatever, I'm a silly bait hunter. Deer are slaves to their stomachs and baiting is a great technique. Where we hunt a 2.5yr old buck is a rare occurence and a true shooter. Last year we would drop bait midday and cameras were showing bucks on the corn within 45 mins of the truck leaving the picture screen. So now I see these pictures. I study the tracks in the snow. I back track them and play the wind to set up on the proper access trail. But I'm not woodsman just a bait hunter. I read the tracks, studied the tracks, played the wind and chose my stand accordingly. But the kid who sits in a box blind over a marsh where the deer run for cover when the vietnam war zone fires up on opening day is a successful hunter and woodsman? Gimme a break!

I just find this frustrating that there can be such a debate amongst a small community such as hunters. We are losing hunters all the time and have anti's against us and we are going to bicker about who is "more" of a hunter or what is "more" of a hunting tactic than another? Come on now guys. I think it's foolish. I hate to be the guy to say this but I'm gonna. Ever since this "beast style" has been the new hot thing its all guys talk about on here. Guys who don't hunt it pretend too, guys who have tried it are qouting Dan and preaching like its their own freakin tactic and they perfected it, and the guys who do it regularly are still not entirely successful. It's too the point where if I shoot a deer over bait, or in a funnel or on a field edge I don't want to post it because I'm not as "hardcore" as the next guy. Its kind of a shame honestly. I love Dan's tactics, videos and the Infalts as a whole (maybe not love that's weird) but anyways that is what HE needs to do to get it done where HE hunts. Some of us hunt there some of us don't. Quite honestly hunting beds isn't successful everywhere you go. The day I see a guy on here CONTINUALLY knocking down BIGWOODS BUCKS on their beds, is the day I will put down my late season bait bucket. Sorry for going all whacko and typing too much but its asinine that we are a small group of people and are going to debate who's tactic is right and who's is wrong.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:57 pm

Wow BackWoods your on a roll today!!
Are you jacked up on caffeine today or is it just the full moon?? :lol: :lol:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:00 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:Wow so many different views on this its incredible really that it stayed so calm. Beasts are a respectable group!

I think its interesting to make a claim against the skills of a bait hunter and a generation as a whole. Maybe laziness is to blame for lack of woodsmanship not the baiting epidemic? If I am no woodsman because I spent 3 of the last 6yrs hunting over bait then neither are any farm country kids sitting in a box blind over a corn field. The farmers who leave one pass of standing corn in the field for deer season. Poor hunters. The food plotters who plant a crop that is tasty when the frost hits-just in time for gun season? They are great hobby farmers but must be poor hunters. Sure corn draws deer into a specific spot to get them feeding but here's a tip. Scatter it out like chicken feed. They work hard, they aren't in a central spot and they know they have to compete for every kernel so they focus more on each other than potential danger. But what would I know I'm a silly bait hunter? I am gravitating away from hunting bait but don't be fooled its my favorite late season tactic. I hunt Oneida County west and south of Rhinelander area. Hunting around Christmas with highs of -5 degrees over a corn pile is definitely hunting I can promise you that. When you get up 16ft and are rocking in the wind I bet its colder than -5. I think that makes me MORE of a hunter than the guys who hang it up and sit around the fire place inside. But whatever, I'm a silly bait hunter. Deer are slaves to their stomachs and baiting is a great technique. Where we hunt a 2.5yr old buck is a rare occurence and a true shooter. Last year we would drop bait midday and cameras were showing bucks on the corn within 45 mins of the truck leaving the picture screen. So now I see these pictures. I study the tracks in the snow. I back track them and play the wind to set up on the proper access trail. But I'm not woodsman just a bait hunter. I read the tracks, studied the tracks, played the wind and chose my stand accordingly. But the kid who sits in a box blind over a marsh where the deer run for cover when the vietnam war zone fires up on opening day is a successful hunter and woodsman? Gimme a break!

I just find this frustrating that there can be such a debate amongst a small community such as hunters. We are losing hunters all the time and have anti's against us and we are going to bicker about who is "more" of a hunter or what is "more" of a hunting tactic than another? Come on now guys. I think it's foolish. I hate to be the guy to say this but I'm gonna. Ever since this "beast style" has been the new hot thing its all guys talk about on here. Guys who don't hunt it pretend too, guys who have tried it are qouting Dan and preaching like its their own freakin tactic and they perfected it, and the guys who do it regularly are still not entirely successful. It's too the point where if I shoot a deer over bait, or in a funnel or on a field edge I don't want to post it because I'm not as "hardcore" as the next guy. Its kind of a shame honestly. I love Dan's tactics, videos and the Infalts as a whole (maybe not love that's weird) but anyways that is what HE needs to do to get it done where HE hunts. Some of us hunt there some of us don't. Quite honestly hunting beds isn't successful everywhere you go. The day I see a guy on here CONTINUALLY knocking down BIGWOODS BUCKS on their beds, is the day I will put down my late season bait bucket. Sorry for going all whacko and typing too much but its asinine that we are a small group of people and are going to debate who's tactic is right and who's is wrong.

well said backwoods i see we finnaly agree with each other ;) 8-) ans yes you are on a role :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”