Deer managment???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

How do you manage your deer?

Total votes: 0
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Deer managment???

Unread postby dan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:59 pm

What style of management do you use to manage your deer quality???

Zap

Re: Deer managment???

Unread postby Zap » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:06 pm

Well I hunt public, but I have MANAGED to shoot a few.

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:28 am

I voted QDM, I started hunting this way about 18 years ago already. I don't kill many deer unfortunately, but don't want to take advantage of a natural resource and would rather leave nature better than I found it, just my opinion ;)
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:53 am

On our private land we try shoot what we think is a 3 y/o buck. It's a pretty loose interpretation. Basically if it makes you happy shoot it (as long as it's not a 1.5 y/o) type of philosophy. We also shoot does if everyone agrees does need to be shot.
I still try to shoot at least a 2.5 y/o on public b/c I know where I hunt has some nice bucks....maybe better than my private land.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:06 pm

Guess for me its very dependent on where I am hunting... There is some public land trips I go on where I would not shoot less than a 3 y/o, but near my house in the pounded public a 2 y/o will do, cause that is a rarity because of all the cwd killing. Heck, the last time I hunted a day old snow out here, I walked prime marsh edge for 3 hours and never cut a track.
Then again, on the right managed hunt, I might go after 4 y/o or better...
And really, anywhere regardless of where, if the right buck is in the vicinity, I might set my sights on nothing less...
Bottom line is, the size buck your after has to live where you hunt, or you are wasting your time hunting there...
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:17 pm

I based our deer management on alot of QDM standards, ie: shooting alot of does and letting bucks reach 3.5 or older. I have changed some of what we used to do as far as the number of does taken and we used to have an earspread and 4 point restriction, but have eliminated most of the hunters that could not accurately age bucks on the hoof, so now it is 3.5 or older no matter the antler size, but if you kill a buck on our land and it is not 3.5 or older prepare to pay a price :o These restrictions do not apply to younger hunters or hunters that have never killed a buck, they are allowed to kill whatever they want til they get a couple under thier belts.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:42 pm

My private land spots it has to be close to P&Y! My pounded public areas where I do almost all of my hunting a 2.5 year old 100 inch 8 pt is a rare trophy :shock:
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
tresleggos

Unread postby tresleggos » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:09 am

i put depends on the land......each area i hunt private or public i choose to shoot diff. deer on my best spot 3.5 or old ...
WiBowhuntress

Unread postby WiBowhuntress » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:19 am

On the private land I hunt, we try to shoot bucks that are at least 3 years old. I'm also inclined to take a doe or two for the freezer. When I first started hunting this land with Larry, he would shoot the smaller bucks for meat. I think I convinced him to let those little guys walk from now on...we have a decent population of does and very few mature bucks.
This past season is the first year he didn't shoot a buck. He passed several small ones and botched a couple of opportunities at shooter bucks so I know it was hard for him. But that's hunting...and if we could get the neighbors to cooperate, we'd have better opportunities down the road. But of course, the neighbors don't want to participate with the QDM. :roll:
DevinJD2007
500 Club

Unread postby DevinJD2007 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:58 pm

lungbuster wrote:I based our deer management on alot of QDM standards, ie: shooting alot of does and letting bucks reach 3.5 or older. I have changed some of what we used to do as far as the number of does taken and we used to have an earspread and 4 point restriction, but have eliminated most of the hunters that could not accurately age bucks on the hoof, so now it is 3.5 or older no matter the antler size, but if you kill a buck on our land and it is not 3.5 or older prepare to pay a price :o These restrictions do not apply to younger hunters or hunters that have never killed a buck, they are allowed to kill whatever they want til they get a couple under thier belts.

We do pretty much the exact same thing with our land! If it doesn't meet the requirement we put a fee on it. But we harvest them off from age and QDM.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:06 pm

I always harvest as many does as possible on our property, and am usually not too picky with the age. I would say age with bucks, but I guess in certain situations that would be a lie, because unlike Lee Lakosky, if I have a 160 or better in range, I don't care if he is six minutes old, he is going down! Primarily though I stick to the 3+ age bracket based on physical characteristics as best as I can judge them. It used to be just antlers for me, and don't get me wrong, I will never pass up a big shag nasty racked buck, but the challenge really is mature deer, which in most cases is typical with your larger antlers.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
tenpoint

Unread postby tenpoint » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:29 am

I have been reading some of the post about how some manage the land for deer and find it interesting that a lot of guys will shoot smaller bucks on public land and hold out for larger bucks on private land. Why is that? It is my thinking that if we informed and educated the public about the philosophy of let them go so they can grow we might change the mind set of a lot of hunters and improve the buck age structure on public land. We have to get away from the thought if I let this smaller buck go, someone else will shoot it. I have been hunting public land for over 30 years and decided a long time ago I didnt need any more small garage racks laying around. If I dont think the deer is a 3 1/2 year old I dont shoot it! not that big of a deal, it lives another day or maybe even another year. If we would promote the idea of (Let them go so they can grow) by just the use of signs or posters posted on public land, around all state and county hunting parking areas, maybe that kind of thinking would start to set in the minds of more hunters who like me would like to see bigger bucks on public land. Heck 20 years ago catch and release in fishing was not a very popular idea, and look how well it has caught on. It may take a little time, but if hunters saw that other hunters are passing up smaller bucks the idea may just catch on! It dont hurt to try, and it would be better for all deer hunting in the long run. Remember the old saying, out of sight out of mind, simple posters might be enough to keep the thought in a lot of minds, that if we let them go they will grow! Lets change the mind set!!
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:07 am

Indianahunter, you have a great idea. However, alot of the public land in SE/central WI is also CWD----all deer are to be shot, doesn't matter age, sex, or color now. Hard to have a let em grow mentality when the DNR is saying "No deer left, period".
Now having said that, I think others(with private lands) are really missing the boat in the fact that bucks do not even get close to their potential til they are 5-7 years old. When you see a 150-160 3.5 yr old, think about what he'll look like in 2-3 more years. If I saw a 150-160 3.5 yr old, I will admit, I will shoot him---as I have not shot a 3.5 or older buck yet. But, If I knew I could hunt that land each year, I might be disciplined enough to let him go as he has every possibilty of being a booner.
In the same respect, I have had the attitude since I started hunting to wait for a 3.5 yr old or older. I let alot of real nice looking 2-3 yr olds walk. I feel after 8 years, I may have shorted myself the adrenalin, the rush, the joy of wrapping hands on antlers. Now, I don't have the same opportunity to see the bucks I did then. Oh well, they can't get to be the booners and the huge rack you may want if you shoot it before he sees his potential.
Tough to make these calls in an instant gratification society we live in.
Bottom line, take what makes you happy.
But, if you are not happy that your (private) land is not giving you more than 130 class bucks, it may be you need to consider letting those bucks live another year or 2. Then see what you have. Shoot the does for meat, and let the ego rest. (and if we are all real honest with ourselves, it is ego that drives us, and let's us take a buck whether we should have taken that particular one at that time or not. And if it's meat you need, take a doe, they taste better sanyway)
This is how Andrae does it. I don't think I know of another disciplined hunter like Andrae. His way of thinking: Tell very few, if any people of the potential Booner that is around. He may see that potential Booner when that buck is 3 yrs old and will follow him and keep tabs on his whereabouts and be at his bed at the right time and knock him down when he is 5 or 6 and seeing his full potential. Andrae has the admirable ability to wait. Most of us do not. This is what makes Andrae "the Lone Wolf".
Remember the Modena Monarch that Dabow took, I honestly think he was only 3.5 yrs old. What a rack he had. What he coulda had very well coulda been 200+ at 5.5 yrs. Yea, I woulda shot him, cuz he met the criteria for me: 3.5 and I had not shot a buck yet. Would he have lived to 5.5 or older? Who knows. But we do know without a doubt, he didn't. I am not putting Don down at all for taking that buck. I'm glad he did. It was his personal best at that time. The point I'm making is this, what you may really want to do may turn out different when the opportunity is in front of you to decide to shoot or not.
Bottom line, enjoy your time in the woods, hunt what makes you happy and puts food on your table and others if you donate. And further more and MOST IMPORTANTLY: be happy for fellow hunters and what they have shot and recovered. If they are happy with it, you should be too.
If you want bigger bucks on public land then you will ahve to take the reigns and take on a mission to spread the word and get others involved with spreading the word.
One statement on an internet forum is not enough. Active shoeleather is what it's gonna take and giving up personal time as well as some hunting time to do it.
Are you willing?
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:04 am

Well said, Deb.
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:51 pm

Black Squirrel wrote:Well said, Deb.

x2
For me, Im looking for a 3.5yr on private. Public.....Im not sure yet :|