Plans for season setups?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MichiganMike
500 Club

Re: Plans for season setups?

Unread postby MichiganMike » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:30 am

Around my area, these are the patterns and what I focus my setups on:
Oct 1st- 5th: Food/Water near bedding
Oct 6th-25th: Scrapes near bedding after precipitation
Oct 25th-Nov. 5th: Rublines in cover adjacent to doe bedding (scrapes still a possiblity until around Halloween)
Nov. 6th-Nov 16th: Does, Does, Does

Evanszach7
500 Club

Re: Plans for season setups?

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:09 am

PAbowhunter10 wrote:
Evanszach7 wrote:The past 3 years I've had the same method... keep a handful of spots, scout, add more. But, being self employed work seems to get busy at the wrong times every year. Couldn't hunt last year from 11/2-11/18. Didnt hunt 1/2 the spots I wanted to.

2 years ago I started soaking 30 cameras from summer until February. It's definitely helped me refine when areas turn on, and what I'm missing when scouting... what's a good spot really look like, how a big track can trump a ton of sign for daylight movement.

Im basing this season on a week to week basis of annual movement. Hunt an area each available week where previous data says 1 or more mature bucks were within an hour of daylight. Get ahead of the movement. In season scout. Be aggressive.

Are you using cell cams to collect this data or just regular cameras?

I've got 3 cell cams, but typically use them in areas I've scouted, not hunted, but want to hunt the upcoming season.

If using regular cams, when you say soak does that mean not pulling the cards at all until you remove the cam or pulling cards on a monthly basis.

Typically it means not pulling them at all until post season. If I pull 1 or 2, its because it was a hot area in a certain time the year before, and I've moved the camera further away from bedding to a spot I can check and see if a target has shown up... like a food source, creek crossing, field edge.

Sounds like you have a pretty sound strategy. Is this mostly on public and have you had issues with theft while running that many cams?

It's all public spread out over 5 counties. 45 mins- 1.5 hours from my house. Typically lose 2-3 camera/yr even with hanging them high and python locking ones I'm more worried about. Had a camera on a field edge where the buck I shot last year was frequenting all through October. Checked it during gun week, and came back to get it in February. Gone with all the pics of him. I'm sure that guy will be on that field edge all October. At least I'll know how that'll impact movement if another good buck shows up.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”