Going 4 Broke Outdoors Podcast: Episode 6 - Ryan Anderson 2020 Season Recap & Lessons Learned

• Advertisement

HB Store

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Going 4 Broke Outdoors Podcast: Episode 6 - Ryan Anderson 2020 Season Recap & Lessons Learned

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:24 am

Back after a longer than planned hiatus. Ryan is back to discuss his 2020 season in detail. He has a few interesting encounters. We walk through Ryan's thought processes and tactics to close in on a mature Minnesota buck sporting a drop tine. What he learned, and how he plans to adjust to seal the deal in 2021.

https://youtu.be/Cq4JEDi9oBg

Wolfie417
Facebook: brett wolf

Re: Going 4 Broke Outdoors Podcast: Episode 6 - Ryan Anderson 2020 Season Recap & Lessons Learned

Unread postby Wolfie417 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:26 am

Can't wait to hear it.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Going 4 Broke Outdoors Podcast: Episode 6 - Ryan Anderson 2020 Season Recap & Lessons Learned

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:37 am

aka Lockdown
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:51 am

greenhorndave wrote:aka Lockdown

Yea, that guy :lol:
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:53 am

8-)
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:04 am

Awesome! I was hoping you would do some more podcasts. You do a great job! Looking forward to checking it out.
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:42 am

Awesome can’t wait to listen..
Congrats lockdown on a stellar season I know you work your tail off and sure deserve it.
Seaz will you be interviewing yourself at some point - I seem to recall you had quite a good season as well :)
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:50 am

MichiganMike wrote:Awesome! I was hoping you would do some more podcasts. You do a great job! Looking forward to checking it out.

Hey Mike, thanks for listening. If you (or anyone else) have ideas on how I can make it better, I am all ears. I'm super green, but trying to make it work.

Kokes wrote:Awesome can’t wait to listen..
Congrats lockdown on a stellar season I know you work your tail off and sure deserve it.
Seaz will you be interviewing yourself at some point- I seem to recall you had quite a good season as well :)

Haha, I don't know if there is any demand for that. This podcast stuff is a lot more work than I realized, but a lot of that is because I am picky. I've been prepping questions, which involves reading lots of old posts on the beast and writing up outlines before each recording. That's a few hours there. Then 1-2 hours of recording. There's inevitably some dead space in the recording, so I go through and chop a bunch of that stuff out in post-production. Then I load the finished audio file into a video editing program. Add some images and stuff another 1-2 hours there. Once it's all finished, I listen to the entire podcast over to make sure I didn't flub anything while editing. I bet, conservatively, there's a 1 to 10 ratio of finished podcast length to hours put into it. So for every hour of recorded audio, I probably spent 10 hours to get it to that point. Again, I could cut that way down by just recording and posting an unedited audio file, no images, etc, but I like the edited versions quite a bit better, a lot easier to listen to.

I got off on a tangent there, but that's a long way of saying, I don't know if I want to talk about myself and spend 10 hours recording and editing if 5 people are going to listen :lol: At least with the guys I've had on so far, and guys I plan to have on, that effort is worth it.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:03 am

seazofcheeze wrote:
MichiganMike wrote:Awesome! I was hoping you would do some more podcasts. You do a great job! Looking forward to checking it out.

Hey Mike, thanks for listening. If you (or anyone else) have ideas on how I can make it better, I am all ears. I'm super green, but trying to make it work.

Seaz will you be interviewing yourself at some point- I seem to recall you had quite a good season as well :)

Haha, I don't know if there is any demand for that. This podcast stuff is a lot more work than I realized, but a lot of that is because I am picky. I've been prepping questions, which involves reading lots of old posts on the beast and writing up outlines before each recording. That's a few hours there. Then 1-2 hours of recording. There's inevitably some dead space in the recording, so I go through and chop a bunch of that stuff out in post-production. Then I load the finished audio file into a video editing program. Add some images and stuff another 1-2 hours there. Once it's all finished, I listen to the entire podcast over to make sure I didn't flub anything while editing. I bet, conservatively, there's a 1 to 10 ratio of finished podcast length to hours put into it. So for every hour of recorded audio, I probably spent 10 hours to get it to that point. Again, I could cut that way down by just recording and posting an unedited audio file, no images, etc, but I like the edited versions quite a bit better, a lot easier to listen to.

I got off on a tangent there, but that's a long way of saying, I don't know if I want to talk about myself and spend 10 hours recording and editing if 5 people are going to listen :lol: At least with the guys I've had on so far, and guys I plan to have on, that effort is worth it.

I wish I could come up with ideas but I really cant! your pretty spot on. Great questions and content, to the point, and keep things moving along and interesting. I'm a "get to the point" kind of guy and you really cater to that. Its a great listen and I can appreciate the work and time you put into it. There's other podcasts out there that do good also, but they get to rambling and off topic a bit too much for me. One pointer though: If you had me on -your ratings would go through the roof. haha (I'm kidding)
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:31 am

Thanks for having me Jeremy!

Just a quick correction, I misspoke when I said we had a lot of corn in the fields in 2018 which resulted in more and bigger bucks. I meant 2019.

Regarding the property where the drop tine lives, I should have mentioned in the podcast that the first year we hunted out here (2014 with no spring scouting) there was a giant buck in the bedding I camera bombed in 2018. Tyler saw him from 1/2 mile away (once, on opening weekend) and we went after him but to no avail. He had the back side of that bedding pretty ripped up with rubs on 2-4” diameter trees.

I’m not sure if he got shot or just relocated, but that area hasn’t been the same since. I go through there every spring and rubs are few and far between.

I threw a Hail Mary attempt at the drop tine last fall and hunted back there after wounding him and grid searching the private and ultimately realizing he was still alive. I was hoping all the pressure pushed him back there. I snuck in by accessing from the back side through a bog.

There were no rubs back there at all.

On top of that the bedding I killed my buck out of in 2019 looked pretty pathetic. The yr before it was full of deer! This is why scouting and staying on top of things is so important. Years ago what is now the drop tine’s bedding had next to no buck activity.

This all just reinforces that red hot hunting can turn ice cold in an instant.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:11 pm

seazofcheeze wrote:

I think you do a great job of prepping and it shows. I don’t have a podcast, but I’d volunteer to interview you if you wanted to turn the mic around for a show. I have some rough ideas off the top of my head with no prep, but let me know if it’s something you want to try.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:58 pm

Another podcast with a wealth of information from Lockdown! Well done!

Takeaways for me:
Don't discount big tracks, with no rubs. I tend to have areas that lack alot of rubs also.
Don't forget the value of observation sits. Definitely an under-utilized tactic by me.
Camera bombing areas. I think I may miss get pics because of spreading my cameras too thin.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:41 am

Lockdown wrote:Thanks for having me Jeremy!

Just a quick correction, I misspoke when I said we had a lot of corn in the fields in 2018 which resulted in more and bigger bucks. I meant 2019.

Regarding the property where the drop tine lives, I should have mentioned in the podcast that the first year we hunted out here (2014 with no spring scouting) there was a giant buck in the bedding I camera bombed in 2018. Tyler saw him from 1/2 mile away (once, on opening weekend) and we went after him but to no avail. He had the back side of that bedding pretty ripped up with rubs on 2-4” diameter trees.

I’m not sure if he got shot or just relocated, but that area hasn’t been the same since. I go through there every spring and rubs are few and far between.

I threw a Hail Mary attempt at the drop tine last fall and hunted back there after wounding him and grid searching the private and ultimately realizing he was still alive. I was hoping all the pressure pushed him back there. I snuck in by accessing from the back side through a bog.

There were no rubs back there at all.

On top of that the bedding I killed my buck out of in 2019 looked pretty pathetic. The yr before it was full of deer! This is why scouting and staying on top of things is so important. Years ago what is now the drop tine’s bedding had next to no buck activity.

This all just reinforces that red hot hunting can turn ice cold in an instant.

Great insight on your season Ryan. Always enjoy your wealth of info, and really enjoyed listening to this. And your spot on with scouting- have to stay on top of it. Though bucks can occupy a certain bedding area or spot year after year, you have to scout it and make sure someone's calling it home or been around.
Dhoff
500 Club

Unread postby Dhoff » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:24 pm

Just listened to this today. I really enjoy your podcast and how you keep it flowing with the questions you ask. I wish i was as good at keeping such detailed notes as ryan does. I have really taken the observation sit more seriously the last couple years as well and it has showed in my success. Looking forward to the rest of the story later this fall. Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Return to “Podcast”