Going 4 Broke Podcast Ep. 2 - Jordan "Marshbuster" Kurkowski

Scott S

Re: Going 4 Broke Podcast Ep. 2 - Jordan "Marshbuster" Kurkowski

Unread postby Scott S » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:12 am

Haven't listened yet but I did subscribe! Thanks, Seaz. Thanks, Jordan.

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:19 am

This was a great podcast! Thanks for taking the time! :clap:
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:15 am

Sweet! :clap:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:18 am

Great job fellas, really enjoyed listning
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:18 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:25 pm

Uncle Lou wrote::clap: :clap: :clap:

Btw, I do have stealth strips on that stand and sticks I barely use, as well as some other items lol :handgestures-thumbup:
How bad do you want it?
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:49 pm

Good one. 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:25 am

Enjoyed the podcast. Its nice to hear something a little different for once, many of the podcast seem to be repeating the same people with the same questions. Nice to have some excellent questions, and Jordan does a good job explaining his methods.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:06 am

Really enjoyed this one!! Great job Seaz, I liked the conversation type approach to the questions. As mentioned earlier in the thread, easy to tell you were well prepared! :clap:

Man, Jordan you were a lot of fun to listen to. You put me in mind of my few hunting buddies for sure. Working your but off to get on these bucks. It’s easy to tell from your conversation that you’re a killer no doubt and knows what it takes to get the job done.

I will listen to this podcast at least a couple more times. The way the conversation goes sounds like friends around a campfire telling stories :clap: :clap:
Thanks Guys!!
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:07 am

Another good one Seaz. Listening to it for the second time now! The "high spots in the cattails with no trees" comment has me itching to check out some of my local areas again.
Scott S

Unread postby Scott S » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:16 am

I have now listened to both episodes. Love them both. Thanks again
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:22 am

MN_DeerHunter wrote:Another good one Seaz. Listening to it for the second time now! The "high spots in the cattails with no trees" comment has me itching to check out some of my local areas again.

I will add something to this. I personally believe there is a period of the season where they kind of abandon these areas. From what I’ve noticed, they will be in there while the catts are still tall and green as they provide shade. It seams like when the catts starts dying off and turn brown while it still gets to mid 60s-70s in the afternoon they shift a little towards brush or a terrain feature that will provide shade during the period of the day with high sun. Once it starts cooling off they (the dominant buck of the area) will go back in there.

I don’t think this is a 100%, guaranteed thing, but I have noticed it too much to be a coincidence
How bad do you want it?
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:12 am

Marshbuster89 wrote:
MN_DeerHunter wrote:Another good one Seaz. Listening to it for the second time now! The "high spots in the cattails with no trees" comment has me itching to check out some of my local areas again.

I will add something to this. I personally believe there is a period of the season where they kind of abandon these areas. From what I’ve noticed, they will be in there while the catts are still tall and green as they provide shade. It seams like when the catts starts dying off and turn brown while it still gets to mid 60s-70s in the afternoon they shift a little towards brush or a terrain feature that will provide shade during the period of the day with high sun. Once it starts cooling off they (the dominant buck of the area) will go back in there.

I don’t think this is a 100%, guaranteed thing, but I have noticed it too much to be a coincidence

MN Deerhunter I also see bedding like this. It’s something I look for because it seems like nobody else ever notices them. Sometimes they’re tiny and hard to pick out on an aerial. Sometimes they’re huge.

The best new buck bed I found this spring was on a treeless island.

My buddy has an awesome bedding area on a heavily hunted piece of public. It gets lots of deer pressure on the other side. This side receives tons of pheasant pressure but little deer pressure because it lacks big trees and obvious bedding. The bucks lay on that tiny piece of high ground out in the cattails and let people walk by 40-50 yards away with no worries.

Back when I was filming we hunted it and had a buck heading for us right at dark. He was sloshing and it was obviously a deer. There was no wind at all (eerily quiet) and we think he caught our thermals just before he hit dry land. He never left... just stood there. We waited until pitch black trying to get eyes on him. Then we backed out quiet... never heard a sound come from that direction...
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:20 am

Lockdown wrote:
Marshbuster89 wrote:

MN Deerhunter I also see bedding like this. It’s something I look for because it seems like nobody else ever notices them. Sometimes they’re tiny and hard to pick out on an aerial. Sometimes they’re huge.

The best new buck bed I found this spring was on a treeless island.

My buddy has an awesome bedding area on a heavily hunted piece of public. It gets lots of deer pressure on the other side. This side receives tons of pheasant pressure but little deer pressure because it lacks big trees and obvious bedding. The bucks lay on that tiny piece of high ground out in the cattails and let people walk by 40-50 yards away with no worries.

Back when I was filming we hunted it and had a buck heading for us right at dark. He was sloshing and it was obviously a deer. There was no wind at all (eerily quiet) and we think he caught our thermals just before he hit dry land. He never left... just stood there. We waited until pitch black trying to get eyes on him. Then we backed out quiet... never heard a sound come from that direction...

That sounds like an awesome encounter and a great spot. There are a few areas on the property you (and Jordan) helped me cyber scout a while back that I think would apply to this scenario. Need to get back out there
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:12 am

Marshbuster89 wrote:

It's interesting that you mentioned this. I had it in my mind when we were discussing the topic to ask "do you think shade matters in these scenarios, and could that be an explanation for the multiple beds in an area like this? Say, he beds on the shaded side in the a.m., then moves over to the other side later in the day?" but I never did ask that question. Seems like shade could be just as likely an explanation for multiple beds as differing winds, or a combination of shade & winds.

• Advertisement

Return to “Podcast”