Re: Ryan Anderson "Lockdown" Podcast

Unread postby jwilkstn » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:47 am

8-)

Not all those who wander are lost...
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:44 am

Boogieman1 wrote:Sweet! Should have called it the Lucky Hat Chronicles :lol:
Just playing but always remember Ryan saying when times get lean there’s a certain hat that comes out of the bullpen. Can’t wait to listen

I would be devastated if I lost that hat. The last 3 times I put it on in MN:

2016- 162” ten point
2017- 132” 11 point
2018- had the infamous muzzleloader mistake on a 120ish buck. The hat gave me the opportunity, the misfire was my fault :lol:

Didn’t need it last year though. I only put it on when I’m struggling and it “feels right”. Prior to 2016 I hadn’t worn it in a decade. I had forgot about it.

I found it in the bottom of a tote and thought “My old lucky hat! Might as well try it today. Maybe it will bring me luck.” And I killed my #1 target buck that night after a 2 year chase.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:37 am

Great podcast fellas. A major point that you both spoke on and I don't feel gets talked about is predicting or predetermining the areas scouted as a green beast. Something I personally did myself and is where I began to realize how important in season scouting is. Also, did you buy your point yet LD?
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:13 am

Awesome podcast guys really enjoyed it. You both made the podcast fly by. Was a lot of fun, have the feel of sitting around the campfire

Ryan: “forget all the reasons it wont work, concentrate on the few that will” :clap:

Man thats so true. I talk deer hunting with so many friends and customers on my route. I have made mention over the last several years... I think many guys find excuses not to hunt as much or more as I make excuses to go hunt :lol:

Seaz, you done a great job with the podcast. Hope you continue to turn out fun and informative podcast

The green to “Pre Beast” to current was fun. I was laughing along with Ryans comments keep noddin my head yup!!

Thanks guys
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:15 am

Indeed. This was a good one. Thanks fellas!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:19 am

tbunao wrote:Great podcast fellas. A major point that you both spoke on and I don't feel gets talked about is predicting or predetermining the areas scouted as a green beast. Something I personally did myself and is where I began to realize how important in season scouting is. Also, did you buy your point yet LD?

Not yet. Keep reminding me :lol:
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:14 am

I really loved the idea of setting your frame of your ground blind in spring. I did alot more ground hunting in my 20s than I do now, but that would have been killer for me in a few spots. I think another thing you touched on that was great was how that setup is very inconspicuous. On the public I hunt the ticket to a good ground blind is not letting people know it's a ground blind. Something that just looks like random junk in the woods doesn't draw people. If I built a true ground blind I would have squatters..lol
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:22 pm

8-)
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:56 pm

Great Work Guys! 8-)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:13 pm

oldrank wrote:I really loved the idea of setting your frame of your ground blind in spring. I did alot more ground hunting in my 20s than I do now, but that would have been killer for me in a few spots. I think another thing you touched on that was great was how that setup is very inconspicuous. On the public I hunt the ticket to a good ground blind is not letting people know it's a ground blind. Something that just looks like random junk in the woods doesn't draw people. If I built a true ground blind I would have squatters..lol

Just be careful not to do the opposite and make an “inconspicuous” blind after green up. Green leaves turn brown and stick out like a sore thumb. The leaves will stay on all year too. Well into winter.

I forget where I learned that, but cutting branches mid summer and zip tying them where I need cover is something I have done to add cover to my private land pre set stands. Sets where being skylined is an issue.

I’ve had oak leaves stay on branches for two years before. It’s the same scenario as shooting a buck. He dies and his antlers stay attached forever. If he lives they drop naturally each year. Leaves won’t stay on forever, but they’ll last one season for sure.

Even if you make a blind in season and cut a few branches, haul them out of there after the hunt if you’re worried about people noticing the dead leaves and keying in on your blind.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:35 pm

To add to my ground blind set techniques, another thing I do (when needed) is manicure them with the future in mind. Ever notice what trees and shrubs do when the lead stem or tip of a branch is cut off? It spurs growth nearer to the main trunk and gets thicker.

So for example if I’ve got a blind in some dogwood that I want to keep discrete but cover is thin, I nip the tips off the branches (simulating deer browse) wherever I need thicker leaf cover. Sometimes it takes a couple years of this to make a BIG difference, but it works.

Keep in mind if you’re going to hide in dogwood or willows, it’s MUCH easier with leaf cover.

Another random tip, if you’ve got lots of snow, build a fort. 8-) I’ve never had to do that but a buddy has and said it worked really well.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:43 am

Late to the party here. Good stuff guys. I enjoyed it.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:48 am

Ryan that was really great! I found myself replying to Jeremy's answers the same before you even got all the words out of your mouth. Solid info and thanks for sharing your experiences. I always find a streak of confidence when I hear so many parallels between some of us. I think that has some significance in terms of the type of character it takes to be successful. Good luck with your endevours this year and I hope you smash a giant Mulie.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:50 am

Lockdown wrote:To add to my ground blind set techniques, another thing I do (when needed) is manicure them with the future in mind. Ever notice what trees and shrubs do when the lead stem or tip of a branch is cut off? It spurs growth nearer to the main trunk and gets thicker.

So for example if I’ve got a blind in some dogwood that I want to keep discrete but cover is thin, I nip the tips off the branches (simulating deer browse) wherever I need thicker leaf cover. Sometimes it takes a couple years of this to make a BIG difference, but it works.

Keep in mind if you’re going to hide in dogwood or willows, it’s MUCH easier with leaf cover.

Another random tip, if you’ve got lots of snow, build a fort. 8-) I’ve never had to do that but a buddy has and said it worked really well.

Another great tip.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:35 pm

Lockdown wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:Sweet! Should have called it the Lucky Hat Chronicles :lol:
Just playing but always remember Ryan saying when times get lean there’s a certain hat that comes out of the bullpen. Can’t wait to listen

I would be devastated if I lost that hat. The last 3 times I put it on in MN:

2016- 162” ten point
2017- 132” 11 point
2018- had the infamous muzzleloader mistake on a 120ish buck. The hat gave me the opportunity, the misfire was my fault :lol:

Didn’t need it last year though. I only put it on when I’m struggling and it “feels right”. Prior to 2016 I hadn’t worn it in a decade. I had forgot about it.

I found it in the bottom of a tote and thought “My old lucky hat! Might as well try it today. Maybe it will bring me luck.” And I killed my #1 target buck that night after a 2 year chase.

U have always had a good sense of humor Ryan that’s why I figured u would get a kick out of it. I did remember the story of the hat cause I relate a kill shirt of my own to it. Probably the same as your hat which u call lucky. But end of the day there’s way more to it than just simple luck. I pull out the kill shirt on those days I just know! I mean smile when kissing the wife and saying daddy is bringing home the bacon today. Mainly brought on by experience, a good break in wind or weather, and a honest gut feeling of I’m gonna get his but today. Every once in awhile they will host a fishing tourney on my lake to make it worth the effort. Come game day I ask .... baby where is my photo shirt. Think it would take an act of god to kick my rear in my “lucky shirt” Hey great podcast by the way! Was hoping u would mention how u get a kick out of nose diving between couch cushions for peanut butter. Remember your wife laughs and laughs, Ha! Just kidding but nicely played I remember getting a chuckle at the time. Good luck this season amigo!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Podcast”