Episode #1 - Wind and Thermals

• Advertisement

HB Store

KLEMZ

Re: Hunting Beast Podcast Episode #1 - Wind and Thermals

Unread postby KLEMZ » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:30 am

Mario, this visual is extremely helpful to understand the content of your podcast!! Nice work!

In the podcast, Dan mentions the thermals created by the warmer swamp water vs the dry cooler island. I assume that Dan's tree selection covered both the main wind direction and also the anticipated thermal direction in the evening...whereas your tree selection did not quite work for the daytime wind but would have worked if the buck had come thru just before dusk, because the thermals would have sucked back towards the swamp?

Confusing question on a complicated subject?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:46 am

KLEMZ wrote:Mario, this visual is extremely helpful to understand the content of your podcast!! Nice work!

In the podcast, Dan mentions the thermals created by the warmer swamp water vs the dry cooler island. I assume that Dan's tree selection covered both the main wind direction and also the anticipated thermal direction in the evening...whereas your tree selection did not quite work for the daytime wind but would have worked if the buck had come thru just before dusk, because the thermals would have sucked back towards the swamp?

Confusing question on a complicated subject?

Klemz... My crazy mind can understand that crazy question.. :lol: The answer is a definite maybe... If it got calm (as it often does) as it cooled in the evening it would of drawn Mario's scent back away from the buck the opposite direction of the actual wind. But if there was some occasional wind breezes, sometimes it would be in favor of Mario, and sometimes the buck. And, it would also depend on how hot the day was compared to how cool the evening was... In a lot of cases the thermal will over power a light wind.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:16 pm

So, to play the percentages in this situation, if it is the rut, when a buck can come thru anytime of the day, you want to be set up for both the daytime wind AND the possible evening thermals? However, if it is early season, do we still try to hunt a spot when we can cover both daytime wind and thermal wind... or, can we set up for the evening thermal, knowing that a buck will most likely move only then, and the trail (kill spot) is defined?

Again, complicated question, but the whole wind and thermal thing is ABSOLUTELY my weak link to putting down some slobs.
PUBLICbowhunter

Unread postby PUBLICbowhunter » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:16 pm

Dan love the podcast! My question is, you were talking about going in and setting up the last half hour in hill country to put the thermals in your favor when they are feeding down the hill in late evening. But if these deer are heading up hill to the ag fields in the evening what are some of the wind factors I need to take into consideration? Is it best to sit high in a tree a few yards inside the woods so might scent carries over their nose while walking up hill into the wind, and dropping thermals??? Thanks a lot for the awesome info
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:21 pm

KLEMZ wrote:So, to play the percentages in this situation, if it is the rut, when a buck can come thru anytime of the day, you want to be set up for both the daytime wind AND the possible evening thermals? However, if it is early season, do we still try to hunt a spot when we can cover both daytime wind and thermal wind... or, can we set up for the evening thermal, knowing that a buck will most likely move only then, and the trail (kill spot) is defined?

Again, complicated question, but the whole wind and thermal thing is ABSOLUTELY my weak link to putting down some slobs.

i SET UP BASED ON "anticipated" thermal activity often... But "try" to find away to cover both. I have seen deer on a few rare occasions spook from up wind of me after a wind switch by smelling where my skin cells (scent) landed.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:25 pm

PUBLICbowhunter wrote:Dan love the podcast! My question is, you were talking about going in and setting up the last half hour in hill country to put the thermals in your favor when they are feeding down the hill in late evening. But if these deer are heading up hill to the ag fields in the evening what are some of the wind factors I need to take into consideration? Is it best to sit high in a tree a few yards inside the woods so might scent carries over their nose while walking up hill into the wind, and dropping thermals??? Thanks a lot for the awesome info

I actually much prefer hunting up hill and up wind of them. Its more predictable. 1st you need to have a good idea where the buck is bedded, then you need to know or at least have a good guess as to where he is heading (sign could be a good indicator) then, most bucks don't leave there bed straight into the wind, they usually come up on some sort of angle to it.. You get on the side that gives you the best advantage and hunt the "just off" wind.

PUBLICbowhunter

Unread postby PUBLICbowhunter » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:43 pm

That makes a lot of sense actually, If I think I know where they are bedding then I have to figure out pretty much exactly where they like to enter either through cameras or long range glassing. I guess I assumed they usually just head strait up to the fields. What is the reasoning why they angle up the hill then to the fields if any? I have also experienced that just before they enter the field they walk a parallel trail and in return I think will make it tougher to decipher their angled trail up to fields.
PUBLICbowhunter

Unread postby PUBLICbowhunter » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:46 pm

Illustrations always come in handy, I really appreciate you taking the time to clear up some of my questions Dan.
Looking forward to episode 2!!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:50 pm

PUBLICbowhunter wrote:That makes a lot of sense actually, If I think I know where they are bedding then I have to figure out pretty much exactly where they like to enter either through cameras or long range glassing. I guess I assumed they usually just head strait up to the fields. What is the reasoning why they angle up the hill then to the fields if any? I have also experienced that just before they enter the field they walk a parallel trail and in return I think will make it tougher to decipher their angled trail up to fields.

I think they feel safe after bedding there all day smelling up hill and they just go from point a, to point b... Seldom is that straight into the wind. I have noticed they are often walking along the edge where the thermals come up as they head up points, then you need to just know which side. When they parallel fields outside of rut they are a lot of the time walking to the lowest area of the field before entering because in the evening when its calm and thermals start to drop they come from every direction to the low spot in the field. So a deer entering the field there can smell any danger in the whole field.
PUBLICbowhunter

Unread postby PUBLICbowhunter » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:58 pm

Interesting this definitely makes a lot of sense. I think I will start putting my field edge cameras in the low spots this summer and only check them in mid-day rain. Might make patterning a buck a tad bit easier this year :D
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:58 pm

That was an excellent podcast, great job guys! 8-)
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:06 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:That was an excellent podcast, great job guys! 8-)

We gotta get Mario to do one with you, and go over your michigan swamp secrets 8-) He could do a phone interview with you.
Jdaukontas

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:28 pm

dan wrote:
PUBLICbowhunter wrote: 1st you need to have a good idea where the buck is bedded, then you need to know or at least have a good guess as to where he is heading

I have a spot I plan on attempting my first beast kill at this year but I find two trails leading away from the bed and can not determine which one he will travel. Now what? Randomly choose one and hope it works out or is there a method?
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:15 pm

dan wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:That was an excellent podcast, great job guys! 8-)

We gotta get Mario to do one with you, and go over your michigan swamp secrets 8-) He could do a phone interview with you.

I'd be glad to, anytime.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:00 pm

Great stuff guys. I love podcasts.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Podcast”