HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hunting Beast Podcast Episode #1 - Wind and Thermals

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:39 pm

Jdaukontas wrote:
dan wrote:
PUBLICbowhunter wrote: 1st you need to have a good idea where the buck is bedded, then you need to know or at least have a good guess as to where he is heading

I have a spot I plan on attempting my first beast kill at this year but I find two trails leading away from the bed and can not determine which one he will travel. Now what? Randomly choose one and hope it works out or is there a method?

If your patient, hunt one of the trailsd then when the winds right for the other, come in nfrom that direction and hu8nt that one... Or, figure out where each lead and hunt the trail that leads to active sign.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:22 am

Really liked the podcast, I'm about 2/3's of the way through it. Well done Dan and Mario! :clap:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:01 am

dan wrote:
KLEMZ wrote:So, to play the percentages in this situation, if it is the rut, when a buck can come thru anytime of the day, you want to be set up for both the daytime wind AND the possible evening thermals? However, if it is early season, do we still try to hunt a spot when we can cover both daytime wind and thermal wind... or, can we set up for the evening thermal, knowing that a buck will most likely move only then, and the trail (kill spot) is defined?

Again, complicated question, but the whole wind and thermal thing is ABSOLUTELY my weak link to putting down some slobs.

i SET UP BASED ON "anticipated" thermal activity often... But "try" to find away to cover both. I have seen deer on a few rare occasions spook from up wind of me after a wind switch by smelling where my skin cells (scent) landed.

Great information...thank you
HighNtree

Unread postby HighNtree » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:38 pm

Dan and Mario,

The Podcast and the video will definitely change the way I hunt... Many thanks.

HighNtree
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:55 am

mt008 wrote:Hello,

I wanted to post a youtube video response to some of the comments regarding the Episode #1 Podcast on Wind and Thermals. Particularly the wind, and deer sign involved in the hunt in the remote swamp island.

thanks again and please post any comments or questions

[bbvideo=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np4cwtuvGKU&feature=youtu.be[/bbvideo]

Sound quality has been fixed on the video response. Thanks!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:37 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: Very good!
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
Jdaukontas

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:28 am

Awesome video! Can you (anyone) post a picture of a primary scrape vs. a random low frequency scrape? I like many find scrapes in the woods, but have a difficult time determining which are actually being used as primary scrapes. I have fallen into the trap of setting up over a scrape I found, and saw nothing.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:18 am

Jdaukontas wrote:Awesome video! Can you (anyone) post a picture of a primary scrape vs. a random low frequency scrape? I like many find scrapes in the woods, but have a difficult time determining which are actually being used as primary scrapes. I have fallen into the trap of setting up over a scrape I found, and saw nothing.

tHEY LOOK THE SAME... Its the location that matters. LISTEN TO THE SECOND PODCAST about deer4 sign and it talks about how to tell...
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:55 am

Help.... What is the best way to get this to work on a Android phone? I have "Podcast Republic" as a podcast player, but cannot get it to work for the "Beast Podcast". I don't want to miss out on all the good stuff.

Any info, etc...... Thanks
marc
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:19 am

Having problems with the podcast. Listening to it via bluetooth on my truck stereo on the way to work and a minute or so into it the podcast it keeps rebooting and starts all over again. :doh:

Anybody else experience this? Gonna have to listen to it at home on my computer.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:42 am

Dewey wrote:Having problems with the podcast. Listening to it via bluetooth on my truck stereo on the way to work and a minute or so into it the podcast it keeps rebooting and starts all over again. :doh:

Anybody else experience this? Gonna have to listen to it at home on my computer.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Are you streaming it as you drive? meaning is it playing on the mobile beast? or are you downloading the file then playing it directly on your iphone?

There might be an issue with your data connection keeping up with the stream. Try downloading the podcast then play it.
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:46 am

mag1 wrote:Help.... What is the best way to get this to work on a Android phone? I have "Podcast Republic" as a podcast player, but cannot get it to work for the "Beast Podcast". I don't want to miss out on all the good stuff.

Any info, etc...... Thanks
marc

The best way is the download the podcast with the download podcast link. Then open the mp3 file in Podcast Republic or any mp3 player app on android.

Otherwise you can just play the podcast in your native android browser of choice.. chrome is installed by default
Jdaukontas

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:26 pm

Mario,

What program are you using to draw in the video. Pretty awesome!
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:02 pm

Jdaukontas wrote:Mario,

What program are you using to draw in the video. Pretty awesome!

I am using paint.net to draw on the picture http://www.getpaint.net/index.html

I am using camstudio to record it on screen while talking http://camstudio.org/

They are both free tools and work really nice.
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:17 pm

Jdaukontas wrote:Awesome video! Can you (anyone) post a picture of a primary scrape vs. a random low frequency scrape? I like many find scrapes in the woods, but have a difficult time determining which are actually being used as primary scrapes. I have fallen into the trap of setting up over a scrape I found, and saw nothing.

I don't know if this helps but here is the pic of the rub and scrape that opened up on the swamp island that Dan and I discussed in the podcast.

This rub and scrape was adjacent to known doe bedding, and later confirmed in post season scouting to be within 75-100 yards of a buck bed in the swamp. These spots had old sign, but it was not until they opened up fresh adjacent to the doe bedding that it caught Dan's attention

• Advertisement

Return to “Podcast”