First Spot and Stalk Archery Antelope

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

seazofcheeze
500 Club

First Spot and Stalk Archery Antelope

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:36 am

As always, big thanks to the Dan and the whole Beast community. So many great lessons on here.

Man, this is probably one of my proudest hunting moments. I FAILED SO MANY TIMES on so many stalks this fall, I'd say easily 20+ blown stalks and a missed shot or two at extended ranges where my arrows found only dirt. There's nothing quite like belly crawling, not hands and knees, but belly crawling for 20-30 minutes, often across unforeseen ground cactus, rising up to draw the bow and getting busted just before launching an arrow or having that arrow fall just short if and when I managed to get one off. :doh:

It happens when you least expect it sometimes, and this hunt is a perfect example. I actually elk hunted yesterday (Sep 12th) a.m. and that was a bust. I decided to hunt antelope mid-day because antelope are pretty visible and move around a lot more during the day, unlike elk and deer. I spotted a REALLY nice buck around 11 a.m. I stalked in to within 150 yards. While I was glassing the big one (not this buck) a smaller buck popped out right next to me. I was sitting tight against a small depression towards the top of a knob. In antelope country, a guy has to use every advantage he can, and this little depression offered just a tiny bit more cover. Anyway, I slowly slid my binos in my chest harness...he didn't bust, lifted my bow...he didn't bust, drew back...he didn't bust. Anchor, settle pin, just start putting pressure on release...yep, he busted :lol: I actually posted about that encounter in live from the field. He was 45ish yards and my first really makeable shot of season, except I didn't get one off.

Had two more stalks blown later in the day out in B.F.E. when the only vehicles for miles in any direction happened to drive by when I was inside 100 yards and spooked off both bucks. Sometimes a guy just feels cursed.

Anyway, yesterday afternoon (Sep 12), I decided to go back after elk. That's one of the things I REALLY love about Montana, multiple big game tags each fall. Deer, elk, antelope archery (a draw tag but close to 100%), and bear. I had to cross a pretty big rolling sage flat to get to where I wanted to elk hunt. I was within 200-300 yards of entering the timber, when I looked below me (the sage flat actually is a really long incline, so it was easy to see downhill) and I see a group of at least 4 antelope about 250 yards out, and it looks like there are running towards me. I check topo map and it looks like the small drainage they disappeared into heads out/flattens out about 100 yards from my current position. "Ahhhh, I can waste 15 minutes on an unsuccessful antelope stalk," I thought to myself. After 20+ stalks, I'm not exactly expecting a miracle at this point, but I'll give it a go, nonetheless.

I close about 60 of the 100 yards to my cutoff point when an antelope buck above me starts blowing, just at the edge of the timber I am going to for my elk hunt. If you've never heard an antelope blow/snort. They do it when they are alarmed, similar to a deer. It sounds kind of similar, but different, the noise is hard to explain. I'm 90% sure this is a different buck than the one I just saw below me running uphill towards my position. I ignore him and crest a small knob. There is a water tank with fresh water for cattle. I think, "Oh, they are headed this way for a drink", as I don't know of any other nearby (1+ mile) water sources. I plop down behind a 2.5ft tall sage brush as an impromptu ground blind. I turn on my Go Pro and get my phone out, so I can tap the phone app button to start recording if a buck comes into range. "This plan is doomed," I think and kind of laugh to myself. The buck above me is still blowing periodically. This pretty much sums up my entire fall of antelope hunting. Hilariously bad :lol: About 60-90 seconds later, one of the antelope does I spotted below me, before I made my move, appears about 80 yards away. I'm not sure if she sees me or she just wants to see what the deal is with the blowing buck, but she parallels my position and heads uphill towards Sir Snorts A Lot. About 45-60 seconds later, the buck that was with that group I spotted downhill runs though an opening about 90 yards out and up the hill towards the rest of the group. The buck on the hill is till blowing every minute or two. "This is ridiculous," I think to myself.

I shut off the GoPro to save battery for any elk encounters later. I stand up and start walking towards the timber 200-300 yards away and my evening turns back into an elk hunt. That antelope buck on the hill, yea, he is still snorting. Finally, as I am walking towards the timber, the antelope run over a small ridge and out of sight. Then I hear an antelope blowing again, but its WAY closer this time. I realize in that instant, the buck wasn't blowing at me, he was blowing at a rival. The last two weeks of September are the main part of the antelope rut. Two bucks come RUNNING down the hill at me. I mean, antelope can flat out run! I knock an arrow in a panic. The bucks run down hill in front of me, through a small draw where I lose sight of them just briefly and as they come up my side of the draw, the first buck stops at what I guess to be 30 yards. He is facing me and comes to a complete stop as I draw my bow. I settle the pin and let it rip. THWACK! "Oh my god...I got it!"

For the sake of the story, imagine I took that shot at 12 o'clock. The buck then ran to my left and down into another small draw. The other buck (bigger, of course :lol: ) chased him down into the draw and started ramming/goring the buck I just wounded. This is happening at my 10:30-11 o'clock position. I knock another arrow as fast as I can and start walking to edge of knob so I can see into the draw (I could just see tops of their backs). Just then, the buck I wounded runs to my 9 o'clock position and stops broadside. I can see a fair amount of guts hanging out just in front of the back legs and he looks to be hurting bad, but, when in doubt, I will ALWAYS send another arrow if given the chance. I guess him to be 35 yards and send the second arrow. THWACK again! That arrow clearly went just behind shoulder and double lunged him. He tipped over 10-20 seconds later. Then the bigger buck, in some sort of rut trance runs up the hill and stops 25 yards from me, obviously exhausted from chasing the buck I shot. Only when I start moving does he come back to reality and take off.

As far as the first shot, upon autopsy, it would have definitely been fatal on its own. Got one lung, part of liver and guts. With that said, I am real glad I shoot a second shot. He went down really quick after that, which is always the goal.

Also, the bucks came running in so fast, and I was so surprised, I never had time to turn my camera back on :violin: I learned two things yesterday. I am an ok bowhunter and an absolutely TERRIBLE self-filmer. I swear on all that is holy, my mother, and anything else, that is 100% how it went down though. If anyone wants a giant slice of humble pie, I suggest an antelope spot and stalk hunt. I got REALLY lucky to tag one, given how my best shot was antelope running to me, instead of me sneaking up on them...which I did a few times, but then proceeded to miss :lol:

Anyway, antelope spot and stalk archery is simultaneously an absolute riot and absolutely frustrating. Thanks for reading and good luck to you all this fall!

20210912_180422.jpg

Screenshot_20210912-210710_Gallery.jpg

20210912_192040 resized.jpg

20210912_191901 resized.jpg

20210912_180107 resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lockdown

Re: First Spot and Stalk Archery Antelope

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:03 am

Nice one man! You’re on a roll!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:40 am

I was reading the whole thing like :o

Congrats!

That was an amazing story and proof I guess of always keeping your head in the game despite failures. You just need that one, 15-second window to open up and BAM, success.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:43 am

Congrats Seaz :clap: Nice goat
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:46 am

Awesome hunt! Congrats seaz :dance: :dance:
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:48 am

:dance: you're on a tear dude! Let the good times keep rolling!
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:49 am

Congrats Sea!!!
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:05 am

Great job!! Amazing how things can come together sometimes. Congrats!!
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:12 am

Great job. Congrats. :clap:

My kind of hunt. I like when the crazy stuff happens. 8-)
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:45 am

It doesnt always go the way you planned it, but you only get to see this crazy stuff if you're out there chasing them! Sounds like you're having fun out there 8-)
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:59 am

Huge Congrats Seaz!!! Man its awesome you are out there staying at it and getting it done. I know that was a huge accomplishment for you and Im stoked for you! Thats a nice one too! :clap: :dance:
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:41 am

Great recap Seaz....congrats once again!
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:48 am

Yeah, that is a nice buck.
Congratulations!
And right on the heels of that dandy whitetail you got last week!
What a season already, huh?

We expect an elk down tomorrow; Wednesday at the latest...
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:54 am

Great story, I'd take that luck anyday of the week and twice in sunday...
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:17 pm

What a hunt dude. Great story. Congrats.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”