Sometimes the Deer Chooses YOU!

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Sometimes the Deer Chooses YOU!

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:59 am

First and foremost, a HUGE thanks to Dan and everyone who contributes on the forum. I was a TERRIBLE deer hunter early in life, and a very average deer hunter until I joined the hunting beast in 2013. This place has 100% revolutionized my knowledge, skills and techniques. So, if you are a newer member, the tactics work. It takes time, study, and lots of time in the woods, but the payoff is there for guys willing to do the work.

Story

I went into this deer season 98% set on shooting a muley buck. However, my caveat to that statement is I always reserve the right to shoot a personal best whitetail, or something unique, because I really like weird stuff, junk, stickers, kickers, droptines, wonky racks etc.

Opening Morning

I went into an area I had seen a good mule deer buck with a ground and pound attack. I ended up getting winded by a group of (4) four one-year old whitetail bucks. Then I got winded by a doe…real epic start to the season, haha. I figured I had sufficiently boogered that spot, so I moved to a new area. About 1/2 mile into my relocation, I spotted a nice muley buck, probably 140s class. Definite shooter for me with the bow. I put a stalk on but ended up blowing him out at 80 yards.

Opening Evening

There aren’t many trees in this area, but I decided to sit in a treestand near where I believe the muley would have likely ended up. It was hot, and I figured some deer might be bedded in the shade of the few trees around. I ended up getting winded by two does around 5 p.m.…again, awesome, haha. I did see a 125ish 9-point whitetail buck off in the distance during primetime, but way out of bow range (and I wanted to shoot a muley this year). The night was really slow and I figured I had guessed wrong on where Mr. Muley bedded, so I tore down stand early to try and still hunt my way back to truck for last 30-45 minutes of daylight. I ended up seeing the same mule deer again, so I wasn’t too far off with my stand location. Not sure where he was hiding out, but I watched him work off until dark, and then I proceeded back to my truck.

Second Morning

I went and glassed a different property where I found a lot of sheds this spring. I spotted a bachelor group of 7 or 8 mule deer way out…probably 1.5 miles with two for sure shooters. I checked the topo map and made an educated guess on where they might be heading. I ran into a doe group but never did relocate the bucks. I found a nice muley shed as a consolation prize.

Second Evening (Kill)
Yesterday afternoon was HOT in Montana, with temperatures across most of the state 80-90 degrees. I decided to wait until 5:45 p.m. to go out, with it getting dark around 8 p.m., that didn’t leave a whole lot of time for hunting. I headed into the wind for a ground pound and still hunted through the property. I spotted what I believe was the same muley I had seen twice. This time I had a decent chance. I got to 80 yards before he picked me off, and busted again…whoops.

Not to be deterred, I waited 15-20 minutes for things to calm down, and then started moving in the direction he had spooked. After a few hundred yards, I came to a small knob. I crept up slowly, and stayed in the shadows. To my surprise, there were several deer on the other side of the knob, with the closest being about 50 yards away. The binos went to work, and I noticed the closest deer was a solid whitetail buck, and he had stickers. A moment later, and I confirmed he had stickers off both G2s.

Now I had a real dilemma, I REALLY wanted to shoot a muley buck this year with my bow, but shooting a buck with stickers like that is also a bucket list type item for me. I knelt down and observed for another minute when the buck started feeding RIGHT towards me. Not kind of headed my direction, he was heading EXACTLY towards me. I had 2 or 3 smaller trees 8-10" diameter to hide behind. When the buck got to roughly 30 yards, he put his head down to feed, and I knelt down in the tall grass/weeds, which was probably waist/belly button high. I knelt down to get out of his view, and I was hoping when he got closer, if I needed to rise up to shoot, if he had his head down, I could get away with that and catch him by surprise. A minute later and the buck was within 17-20 yards…so close I knew I no longer needed to think about using the rangefinder. Two big problems, he was completely facing me, so frontal shot was my only option, and weeds were so tall, I could only see from his neck up. At this point, I figured the buck was 120”, but with the stickers, I decided I would definitely shoot if I could make it happen. The buck puts his head down around 17 yards, and I draw for the first time assuming in the next few yards, he will be close enough that I would feel comfortable with a frontal shot (inside 15 yards). I hold at full draw for 2…maybe 3 minutes, and finally let down. Of course, that’s when he picks his head up and moves closer. I KNOW (or at least that’s what I think) this deer is going to see me and bust at any second, or the wind is going to swirl…so many reasons he should bust me. It’s pretty rare good things happen with whitetail deer inside of 15 yards on the ground, :lol:. To my amazement, he walks even closer, now he is at 10 yards, still fully frontal. He puts his dead down to feed, and I draw again. I hold for 30 seconds, and I’m about ready to rise up slightly from my kneeling position to take the frontal shot. Just as I am planning that move, he lifts his head up and starts walking to his right (my left). There’s a small opening in the grass, so I give a super soft “mehhh” and he freezes instantly in the opening. Too late, I’m already at full draw from when he had his head down, and I’m already on the kill zone. I don’t wait long at all and send an arrow. Diaphragm pop and he is off to the races. I see him make it 70-80 yards and I lose sight. Only wait 10 minutes, because I am 99% sure I smoked him (I sure hope so at 7 yards, anyway). I walk to where I lost sight of him and he is 10 yards farther piled up. Holy crap…that was INTENSE!!!

Even when I found him, I still figured he was mid-120s. I ended up green scored him at home and came up with 137 5/8” Both beams are right around 23”, and G2s are 9 5/8” and 10 2/8”. He also has 5” bases, and the STICKERS!!! Man, I love the character on this deer. Anyway, that’s the story of my new #2 whitetail. Not one I will soon forget.

Takeaways:

Big bucks still move in hot weather in early September. I’ve seen it a ton glassing and now on this hunt. It was still over 80 degrees when I shot this deer.

Hunting from the ground can absolutely work. I thought the guys from Whitetail Adrenaline were absolutely nuts the first time I watched their videos, and figured “no way that could ever work”. But in the west, it can be a very effective way to go about it, provided a guy has some good luck on his side as well. And provided there’s lots of ground to work with, so if one place gets all boogered up, its on to the next one.

I got lucky.A LOT of things need to happen for a hunt like this to go right. I will be the first to acknowledge that. With that said, they went right on this hunt, even after busting another buck within a few hundred yards of this buck.

Pics

When I first spotted him roughly 50 yards out. You can tell the weeds in the foreground closer to me are tall, and that's why I had to let him get so close to clear the weeds and eventually turned broadside, thankfully!
20210905_191243 - Copy (2)_LI.jpg

Screenshot_20210906-123416_Gallery - Copy (2).jpg

Screenshot_20210906-123407_Gallery - Copy (2).jpg

IMG_20210906_112752_620 - Copy.jpg

Where he Crashed
Screenshot_20210905-194955_Gallery - Copy.jpg

All Tagged Up
IMG_20210906_112752_669 - Copy.jpg

Score .jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jackson Marsh

Re: Sometimes the Deer Chooses YOU!

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:24 am

You made a good choice. Great looking buck and an awesome ground kill :clap: :clap: :clap:
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:47 am

Awesome job!! Sweet buck!!
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:12 am

Great buck :clap: :clap:
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Mgaspari

Unread postby Mgaspari » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:28 am

Awesome. I am right there with you on the uniqueness of a rack. I am normally looking for 150 plus but a weird rack shows up and all of a sudden I get the worst buck fever.
Congratulations. Love the spaded out side, that is beyond cool
PApublic1187
500 Club

Unread postby PApublic1187 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:37 am

seazofcheeze wrote:First and foremost, a HUGE thanks to Dan and everyone who contributes on the forum. I was a TERRIBLE deer hunter early in life, and a very average deer hunter until I joined the hunting beast in 2013. This place has 100% revolutionized my knowledge, skills and techniques. So, if you are a newer member, the tactics work. It takes time, study, and lots of time in the woods, but the payoff is there for guys willing to do the work.

Story

I went into this deer season 98% set on shooting a muley buck. However, my caveat to that statement is I always reserve the right to shoot a personal best whitetail, or something unique, because I really like weird stuff, junk, stickers, kickers, droptines, wonky racks etc.

Opening Morning

I went into an area I had seen a good mule deer buck with a ground and pound attack. I ended up getting winded by a group of (4) four one-year old whitetail bucks. Then I got winded by a doe…real epic start to the season, haha. I figured I had sufficiently boogered that spot, so I moved to a new area. About 1/2 mile into my relocation, I spotted a nice muley buck, probably 140s class. Definite shooter for me with the bow. I put a stalk on but ended up blowing him out at 80 yards.

Opening Evening

There aren’t many trees in this area, but I decided to sit in a treestand near where I believe the muley would have likely ended up. It was hot, and I figured some deer might be bedded in the shade of the few trees around. I ended up getting winded by two does around 5 p.m.…again, awesome, haha. I did see a 125ish 9-point whitetail buck off in the distance during primetime, but way out of bow range (and I wanted to shoot a muley this year). The night was really slow and I figured I had guessed wrong on where Mr. Muley bedded, so I tore down stand early to try and still hunt my way back to truck for last 30-45 minutes of daylight. I ended up seeing the same mule deer again, so I wasn’t too far off with my stand location. Not sure where he was hiding out, but I watched him work off until dark, and then I proceeded back to my truck.

Second Morning

I went and glassed a different property where I found a lot of sheds this spring. I spotted a bachelor group of 7 or 8 mule deer way out…probably 1.5 miles with two for sure shooters. I checked the topo map and made an educated guess on where they might be heading. I ran into a doe group but never did relocate the bucks. I found a nice muley shed as a consolation prize.

Second Evening (Kill)
Yesterday afternoon was HOT in Montana, with temperatures across most of the state 80-90 degrees. I decided to wait until 5:45 p.m. to go out, with it getting dark around 8 p.m., that didn’t leave a whole lot of time for hunting. I headed into the wind for a ground pound and still hunted through the property. I spotted what I believe was the same muley I had seen twice. This time I had a decent chance. I got to 80 yards before he picked me off, and busted again…whoops.

Not to be deterred, I waited 15-20 minutes for things to calm down, and then started moving in the direction he had spooked. After a few hundred yards, I came to a small knob. I crept up slowly, and stayed in the shadows. To my surprise, there were several deer on the other side of the knob, with the closest being about 50 yards away. The binos went to work, and I noticed the closest deer was a solid whitetail buck, and he had stickers. A moment later, and I confirmed he had stickers off both G2s.

Now I had a real dilemma, I REALLY wanted to shoot a muley buck this year with my bow, but shooting a buck with stickers like that is also a bucket list type item for me. I knelt down and observed for another minute when the buck started feeding RIGHT towards me. Not kind of headed my direction, he was heading EXACTLY towards me. I had 2 or 3 smaller trees 8-10" diameter to hide behind. When the buck got to roughly 30 yards, he put his head down to feed, and I knelt down in the tall grass/weeds, which was probably waist/belly button high. I knelt down to get out of his view, and I was hoping when he got closer, if I needed to rise up to shoot, if he had his head down, I could get away with that and catch him by surprise. A minute later and the buck was within 17-20 yards…so close I knew I no longer needed to think about using the rangefinder. Two big problems, he was completely facing me, so frontal shot was my only option, and weeds were so tall, I could only see from his neck up. At this point, I figured the buck was 120”, but with the stickers, I decided I would definitely shoot if I could make it happen. The buck puts his head down around 17 yards, and I draw for the first time assuming in the next few yards, he will be close enough that I would feel comfortable with a frontal shot (inside 15 yards). I hold at full draw for 2…maybe 3 minutes, and finally let down. Of course, that’s when he picks his head up and moves closer. I KNOW (or at least that’s what I think) this deer is going to see me and bust at any second, or the wind is going to swirl…so many reasons he should bust me. It’s pretty rare good things happen with whitetail deer inside of 15 yards on the ground, :lol:. To my amazement, he walks even closer, now he is at 10 yards, still fully frontal. He puts his dead down to feed, and I draw again. I hold for 30 seconds, and I’m about ready to rise up slightly from my kneeling position to take the frontal shot. Just as I am planning that move, he lifts his head up and starts walking to his right (my left). There’s a small opening in the grass, so I give a super soft “mehhh” and he freezes instantly in the opening. Too late, I’m already at full draw from when he had his head down, and I’m already on the kill zone. I don’t wait long at all and send an arrow. Diaphragm pop and he is off to the races. I see him make it 70-80 yards and I lose sight. Only wait 10 minutes, because I am 99% sure I smoked him (I sure hope so at 7 yards, anyway). I walk to where I lost sight of him and he is 10 yards farther piled up. Holy crap…that was INTENSE!!!

Even when I found him, I still figured he was mid-120s. I ended up green scored him at home and came up with 137 5/8” Both beams are right around 23”, and G2s are 9 5/8” and 10 2/8”. He also has 5” bases, and the STICKERS!!! Man, I love the character on this deer. Anyway, that’s the story of my new #2 whitetail. Not one I will soon forget.

Takeaways:

Big bucks still move in hot weather in early September. I’ve seen it a ton glassing and now on this hunt. It was still over 80 degrees when I shot this deer.

Hunting from the ground can absolutely work. I thought the guys from Whitetail Adrenaline were absolutely nuts the first time I watched their videos, and figured “no way that could ever work”. But in the west, it can be a very effective way to go about it, provided a guy has some good luck on his side as well. And provided there’s lots of ground to work with, so if one place gets all boogered up, its on to the next one.

I got lucky.A LOT of things need to happen for a hunt like this to go right. I will be the first to acknowledge that. With that said, they went right on this hunt, even after busting another buck within a few hundred yards of this buck.

Pics

When I first spotted him roughly 50 yards out. You can tell the weeds in the foreground closer to me are tall, and that's why I had to let him get so close to clear the weeds and eventually turned broadside, thankfully!
20210905_191243 - Copy (2)_LI.jpg

Screenshot_20210906-123416_Gallery - Copy (2).jpg

Screenshot_20210906-123407_Gallery - Copy (2).jpg

IMG_20210906_112752_620 - Copy.jpg

Where he Crashed
Screenshot_20210905-194955_Gallery - Copy.jpg

All Tagged Up
IMG_20210906_112752_669 - Copy.jpg

Score .jpg

Congratulations, beautiful deer and great story
Nothing beats some tree therapy. Deer sightings or not
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:12 am

Great buck!
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:21 am

Way to go Seaz! Awesome buck :dance: :clap:
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:28 am

Dude I am very happy for you! That is an awesome hunt and an awesome buck.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:47 am

Great story and tank of a buck. Good job man!
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:52 am

Awesome start to the ‘21 “SEAZon” for ya :)
super pumped for you… what’s next on the hit list?
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:05 pm

Great narrative, great buck too! Congratulations
Ryan
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:10 pm

Nice job man! Still a lot of season left for you to keep after it!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:22 pm

Very Chezzy - in a great way!
Congrats 8-)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:38 pm

Sweet buck cheese! Congrats on a beautiful buck with trash!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”