10/27/20 bow hunt success

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jsmitty3

10/27/20 bow hunt success

Unread postby Jsmitty3 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:47 pm

This is the story of my 3 year quest for my biggest buck to date.
I’m new to posting on the beast but have been an longtime reader and I want to thank everyone on here for their hunting knowledge it certainly played a big role in being to able to catch up to this deer.

It all started with my wife getting me permission to hunt her good friends new property where they were building a house. I of course got excited about the prospect of new hunting land which is hard to come by in my area of the state. I went and checked it out right away and I was pretty underwhelmed by my findings. I decided to hang a few cameras and just see what was using the property. That season came and went I shot a decent 8 pointer on another property so I never hunted it. Man was I surprised when I pulled the cards after the season. There were 2 really good bucks on the property which is 21 acres of young successional growth and two small farm fields directly adjacent to a small town. One of the bucks busted his g2 off in velvet and grew a bunch of points off of it at that moment I knew I had to kill that buck don’t know why but it created an obsession in me.

Fast forward to 2019 I scouted the property better and found what I thought were his potential bedding spots and prepped some trees for an ambush. My camera confirmed he lived and was living on the property leading up to the opener man was I jacked. Opening day came I had the perfect wind so I slipped into my stand location but decided to take a 12 yard detour to pull my chip on my camera what a fools move that turned out to be that buck entered my food plot from the camera side put his nose on the camera and was gone in a flash that was a hard lesson and a bitter pill to swallow. That was the last time he was on camera until December that year lucky for me I shot the other big one from that property on November 9th the next time I hunted that property that year. That encounter on opening day really drove home the point of do you want a picture on your wall or a buck in your truck.

That led to the 2020 bow season I was bound and determined to kill that buck I felt like my spots I picked were good but I added a few more potential stands for a few winds I hadn’t considered. Sure enough the buck was bedding on the property all summer once again I stayed away until I thought the timing was right and set up with a west wind on the west side of the property and nothing showed I was slightly confused because I thought it should have been great but the buck found a new little spot on the west side where he could see my access. The good part was no matter how many sits I seemed to throw at him he wouldn’t leave and was moving in daylight. I finally came up with a scheme to get close to his bed for a southwest wind. It had me perched all of 8 feet up in a small mulberry with one hole to shoot through but I was absolutely certain he was going to exit the property on this trail right at dark. Sure enough there he was coming right to me on a confident walk as he closed the distance I thought it was all over I was gonna drill him at 4 yards . I came to full draw and when my cam rolled over it sounded like a hen turkey there he was 10 yards away staring holes right threw my soul. There he was gone. It was an awesome encounter but it left me gutted and frustrated but also gave me some confidence to know that I had fooled him at least this once.

A few weeks went by of cat and mouse no real encounters but he was still moving in daylight but I was headed to Kentucky for a diy public land hunt it was kinda stressful leaving but I still had an awesome time getting my kicked in the Kentucky hills. I returned home on October 25 and the very next day I get a phone call from the landowner saying someone shot your buck.!!!! That was a curveball I wasn’t expecting after talking to the hunters and confirming it was that deer my heart was broken they said it was a vital shot so I let them follow the blood trail a few hours later a get a call from the guys and they said they were giving up they jumped him and realized they had hit in the lower leg. At this point I didn’t know what to believe so I took the next day off work to scour the property just in case the buck was hit better than they thought I couldn’t not know for myself and the deer deserved it. After an exhaustive search By my dad and I ended up jumping the deer right off the property. I was bummed but the deer seemed like he was gonna live. I started trying to figure out where he went and there was a small crp field 500 yards to the north that I seen him shining a few times. I decided to ask the farmer if I could check it out. After discussing with my dad we thought the buck would be watching his trail so I went home for a few hours and let it settle down. The best route with the wind was through a mowed yard to the edge of crp so I asked the homeowner if I could crawl through his yard. I thought there was a small chance if that buck was bedded I could get a shot I felt extremely ridiculous crawling through the yard with doctor and his kids watching from the window but what the heck it was worth a chance. I got near the edge of the crp and positioned my self behind a dead tree a poked my head up with my binos and there he was 15 yards away bedded down and unaware I almost came out of my boots after taking some deep breaths I realized I needed to move about 2 yards to my left to make a clean shot so inch by inch I moved over. I drilled him in the heart and a short blood trail later I was standing over the buck of my lifetime it was surreal. It certainly wasn’t how I drew it up but a buck and a story that will last a lifetime. I hope you enjoy it sorry for being long winded This buck taught me so much about bedding with the wind determination persistence and eating humble pie on to the next great chase.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hookslinger
500 Club

Re: 10/27/20 bow hunt success

Unread postby Hookslinger » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:30 pm

Awesome looking buck. What a story of determination and going the extra mile to hunt him down. Sounds like a Seek One youtube video :lol: Congrats
Jsmitty3

Unread postby Jsmitty3 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:06 pm

Thanks hooks yeah I definitely hunt the urban deer herds but oftentimes they are overlooked and hold big deer. It does take away somewhat from the nature experience but if it holds a big deer I’ll try to hunt it
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:12 pm

That is a stud of a buck and an absolutely fabulous story. :clap:

Did you ever show or talk to the folks afterwards who let you crawl through their yard?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Jsmitty3

Unread postby Jsmitty3 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:23 pm

Yes I took pictures with the kids and thanked the doctor 100times lol he’s the first guy I saw after shooting it I was a bumbling idiot for a few minutes but it just goes to show there are still some good people out there
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:46 pm

Jsmitty3 wrote:Yes I took pictures with the kids and thanked the doctor 100times lol he’s the first guy I saw after shooting it I was a bumbling idiot for a few minutes but it just goes to show there are still some good people out there

Awesome. :handgestures-thumbup:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:43 pm

Bucktacular!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:57 am

:clap:
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:16 am

:clap:
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:48 am