Turkey Curse Broken

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Trout
500 Club

Turkey Curse Broken

Unread postby Trout » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:40 pm

Turkey season opened in my neck of the woods on Saturday. I'm not a serious turkey hunter, but I love hunting turkeys even though I'm cursed as a turkey hunter. Something always goes wrong when I'm about to seal the deal. This year I didn't do a ton of scouting but located areas with birds and planned on hitting them opening day.

There seems to be a perfect storm right now from the popularity of youtube hunting shows, onxmaps making it easier to know where to go, people reconnecting with nature as a result of covid, etc. That storm has created the most turkey hunting pressure I've ever seen. Everywhere I went opening weekend on public land had road hunters repeatedly jacking my setups up. I had one guy on his way to shooting my Jake decoy from the hood of his car before the other guy in the car called him off.

The other big incident was day 2 when I was set up on a saddle waiting to intercept two toms coming off of private onto public in the morning. Unfortunately, they had to cross a field and a road to get to me, and a blue truck was obviously eyeballing them, too. The truck drove by every 10 minutes for an hour until the birds started making their way for the public. I was 100yds into the woods off the road setting on the saddle glassing the birds to keep tabs on them, when I see the truck stop. A guy gets out with two young boys probably about 15. The boys load shotguns and run towards me into the woods. Dad gets back in the car and takes off. I whistle and wave at them repeatedly as they are running towards me and they almost get all the way to me before finally hearing me. They got close enough I could see the pure excitement in their eyes, and the heartbreak when they realized another hunter was already there. They turned and went to the road as the dad was circling back around. I could hear them say there is already someone else there, and the dad tell them, "who cares, get back in the woods and sit on the ground," before taking off again. The boys sat on the edge of the woods right by the road. The birds came through the saddle as planned and I was in the right spot, but didn't shoot for safety reasons and those boys being so close.

I thought about that all day, and regretted not giving up the spot for them. I had a chance to show them how a real sportsman should act in the woods instead of the bad influence of their dad, and I missed it.

I did some calling around and a friend had some turkeys changing out around his property every day. He said there is a giant Tom with two hens I couldn't shoot because his wife liked watching him, and 3 or 4 others that are fair game. I went there after work tonight and set up a feeding hen and a Jake decoy up and was barely sat down when I noticed a tom about 75yds away checking them out. He beelined straight at them, and I shot just as he was about to beat down my Jake decoy. It took me longer to change out of my work clothes into hunting clothes than the hunt lasted. Beard was 8.5" and spurs were just 3/4 and 5/8, but man, I'm really happy with this turkey and breaking my curse. Gonna use all the meat for a wild rice and turkey soup recipe I got from a friend, and saved most of the feathers for tying flies.

20210421_220751.jpg

20210421_164351.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ZSV
500 Club

Re: Turkey Curse Broken

Unread postby ZSV » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:20 pm

Congrats! :clap: :dance:
Let us know how that soup turns out!
“I only live once, I will not die a coward “ - Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:24 pm

Congrats Trout!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:53 pm

:clap:
Congrats!
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:51 am

CONGRATULATIONS Trout!!! Awesome job and a dandy gobbler :clap: :dance:

Trout aside from your ups, downs, and success...I love this paragraph:
“ I thought about that all day, and regretted not giving up the spot for them. I had a chance to show them how a real sportsman should act in the woods instead of the bad influence of their dad, and I missed it.”

You are a good man, and a sportsman who still gets it!
You ever find your way down to my neck of the woods id be happy to share a hunt with you.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:09 pm

That’s awesome man. Congrats. :clap: I literally just ate a bowl of wild turkey soup 8-)
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:58 pm

Congratulations!!
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:23 pm

Thanks, guys. Feels good to get the monkey off my back.

backstraps wrote:CONGRATULATIONS Trout!!! Awesome job and a dandy gobbler :clap: :dance:

Trout aside from your ups, downs, and success...I love this paragraph:
“ I thought about that all day, and regretted not giving up the spot for them. I had a chance to show them how a real sportsman should act in the woods instead of the bad influence of their dad, and I missed it.”

You are a good man, and a sportsman who still gets it!
You ever find your way down to my neck of the woods id be happy to share a hunt with you.

Thanks, I would love to take you up on that some day, same offer hoes to you if you're ever in the great white north.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:21 am

:clap:
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:32 am

Congrats! :clap:

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”