Muzzleloader creek bottom buck.

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Re: Muzzleloader creek bottom buck.

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:15 am

That's awesome. So you reloaded your mz while on the ground, that's wanting it. Nice work congrats on a great buck

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:04 pm

Congrats that’s a good one.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:13 am

Congrats!
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:42 pm

Congrats
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Homey88

Unread postby Homey88 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:28 am

Congrats!
BJ99Robinson

Unread postby BJ99Robinson » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:07 am

Congrats!!
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:01 pm

That golden rod and iron weed is excellent bedding. Seems like when you add in a oxbow on a creek or a bend and these spots become dynamite. I hunt a spot just like this. During wet years and the brush hog dont get in its dynamite. When it gets mowed it's a ghost town. So what is everyone's observations on how they would bed in this at the oxbow in relation to the wind? Do you see them facing the creek with wind coming through the thick or opposite?
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:33 am

may21581 wrote:That golden rod and iron weed is excellent bedding. Seems like when you add in a oxbow on a creek or a bend and these spots become dynamite. I hunt a spot just like this. During wet years and the brush hog dont get in its dynamite. When it gets mowed it's a ghost town. So what is everyone's observations on how they would bed in this at the oxbow in relation to the wind? Do you see them facing the creek with wind coming through the thick or opposite?

He was bedding near the middle of the patch of cover on a high spot that was 2 feet above the rest of the creek bottom.
The wind was quartering from the creek to him.
He was 100 yds down wind of the oxbow.
The area had lots of beds but it is worth mentioning there was gun pressure the day before and the day I killed him. I watched some good bucks get up in that area during the summer.
I’m not sure which way he was facing bedded but he was looking at the oxbow as soon as he stood up.
He was slowly feeding with the wind at his back, moving away from the oxbow when I shot at him the first time.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:43 am

Jdw wrote:
may21581 wrote:That golden rod and iron weed is excellent bedding. Seems like when you add in a oxbow on a creek or a bend and these spots become dynamite. I hunt a spot just like this. During wet years and the brush hog dont get in its dynamite. When it gets mowed it's a ghost town. So what is everyone's observations on how they would bed in this at the oxbow in relation to the wind? Do you see them facing the creek with wind coming through the thick or opposite?

He was bedding near the middle of the patch of cover on a high spot that was 2 feet above the rest of the creek bottom.
The area had lots of beds but it is worth mentioning there was gun pressure the day before and the day I killed him. I watched some good bucks get up in that area during the summer.
I’m not sure which way he was facing bedded but he was looking at the oxbow as soon as he stood up.
He was slowly feeding with the wind at his back, moving away from the oxbow when I shot at him the first time.

You mentioned something here that I have personally witnessed as well as many others on here including yourself. "He was feeding with the wind to his back".
Last summer I was blessed to watch some mature bucks feed in a alfalfa/clover field. They entered on the upwind side, fed through the field with wind to back, then when they got to the other side they would enter the woods and circle back around off a point and reenter the field from the upwind side with wind to back in the exact same spot. I learned so much watching this and I was amazed at how they utilized the wind to protect themselves.
I dont suppose this oxbow was a creek crossing? Was he down wind of does monitoring them?
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:26 pm

may21581 wrote:
Jdw wrote:

You mentioned something here that I have personally witnessed as well as many others on here including yourself. "He was feeding with the wind to his back".
Last summer I was blessed to watch some mature bucks feed in a alfalfa/clover field. They entered on the upwind side, fed through the field with wind to back, then when they got to the other side they would enter the woods and circle back around off a point and reenter the field from the upwind side with wind to back in the exact same spot. I learned so much watching this and I was amazed at how they utilized the wind to protect themselves.
I dont suppose this oxbow was a creek crossing? Was he down wind of does monitoring them?

There is a good crossing around the other end of the oxbow. It would have been 125 yards up wind.
I have seen does bed in the oxbow before but I suspect he was keeping tabs on another hunter who was hunting on the other side of the creek that evening.

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”