Edge and Visual Bedding, Rather then Top 1/3 or Point bedding senerio

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
swwave24

Edge and Visual Bedding, Rather then Top 1/3 or Point bedding senerio

Unread postby swwave24 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:12 am

This hunt in the hills was a little bit different than a typical hill country hunt. I scouted this property during the rut last, because I already had filled my buck tag here in Wisconsin. The sign was tremendous. Big & Tall rubs, Buck and Doe bedding, cover, water, etc. I located the best buck bedding areas and identified the doe bedding areas. Overall understanding how the property functioned.

Fast forward November 13, 2019. With snowfall the previous couple days, I did some road scouting on properties I knew well. Found tracks everywhere from the road.

Well... time to dive in to spot check the area with stand on my back. Started pushing towards a ridge with doe bedding. As I got to the top of the ridge, there goes a spike, I continue to push in. I jump a mature buck. Not just once, but twice. Rubs everywhere. He wasn’t bedding off a point or even the top 1/3. He was bedding at the top flatter part of the ridge. However he had thick over to his back and could monitor does below him. Scrape 50 yards from his bed. Right in between his bed and doe bedding. He had a trail in the morning coming to his bed, from the doe bedding. Super interesting. His evening trail was on the edge of the thick heading towards doe bedding.

With this information, and opposite wind direction the following day. I knew he would be transitioning to the adjacent buck bedding area with the wind. I was CONFIDENT!!!

November 14, 2019, I risk it and got right in the middle of the bedding I thought he’d adjust too, not with ideal wind. It was good enough. I sneak in find the kill tree. Here a couple deer blow at me. Sometimes you have to burn a bridge or two. Got set up around 11am. Here come 11:30. Look to my left. There’s a doe at 100 yards. I pay attention to her. Mr. Buck is locked down. He’s pushing her to the buck bedding area I’m in. They took 30 minutes to move 50 yards. So slow... Eventually, the come close enough to it being game on. Doe comes and beds at 15 yards. Buck is grunting. 15, 20 seconds a time. Feeding on leaves. Doe beds for 5 minutes. Finally stands up! Doe gets downwind of my ground scent. Here comes the stopping parade. Buck included now. He move almost to an open. I draw. His vitals covers slightly. Damn it! There both stopping. I’m drawn for one minute and 15 seconds. Finally his stomps gave me enough room to shoot. Release the arrow... down he goes.

Beautiful public land buck he was. I’ve linked the video to post. Thoughts are welcomed.

Click the link to watch video:

https://youtu.be/hu_xJ-lFNfs

hunting_dad
500 Club

Re: Edge and Visual Bedding, Rather then Top 1/3 or Point bedding senerio

Unread postby hunting_dad » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:28 pm

Congrats and nice video! :clap: That dude took a nose dive 8-) Nice job!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:44 pm

That was an awesome hunt on a dandy heavy horned brute! Congrats :clap: :clap:

I subscribed to your channel, enjoyed the video :dance:
swwave24

Unread postby swwave24 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:35 pm

Thanks! Could barely fit my hand around his bases!

Thanks for subscribing, love showing the adventures of hunting public land and using everything I’ve learned from, Dan and the beast community, and THP.

Been learning for the past 6 years, and never will stop. Already scouting to get on the next buck! Love the journey and the process!
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:28 pm

Great hunt and what a cool buck! Subscribed.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:05 am

8-) :clap: :dance:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:57 am

Really enjoyed tagging along with you in the video! Hats off to you sir for hanging tough at full draw and waiting for the shot opportunity you needed! Awesome heavy racked buck :clap:
Subscribed to your channel and cant wait for more

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”