Do you like long kill stories or short kill stories?

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.

A. long stories
16%
B. Short stories
21%
C. Lots of pictures
21%
D. Small amount of pictures
10%
E. Lots of maps and diagrams
19%
F. Small amount of maps and diagrams
14%

Total votes: 204
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:30 pm

Do you like long kill stories or short kill stories? Just trying to figure out what people like best. I get mixed responses from different people. Just seeing what the majority like.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Re: Do you like long kill stories or short kill stories?

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:47 pm

Long stories, lots of pictures and lots of maps and diagrams. Videos of the kill are especially a great bonus.

So much work goes into everyone's hunts it's only right to give the story a lot of detail. When I read a story I want to actually feel like I am right there. Those are the one's that really grab my attention and what I also strive to do with my own when I am lucky enough to have the opportunity to write one.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:41 pm

It's kind of funny what got me to thinking about this. A good friend of mine was telling me he had to listen to another guy telling the story of how he killed his buck. He said he was so bored just listening to the guy go into every detail. I try and not get too long winded on stories.

For instance;
"I found not one drop of blood while looking for my buck."

Or....... "I looked to the north under every leaf, some were oak leafs some were Maple leafs, some were red oak leafs and some were white oak leafs. Some of the leafs were wet and some were dry but for the most part they were brown. No blood was found under any of the leafs. Luckily none of the leafs were red that would have really complicated things. And so on"

I like the short version much better.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:11 pm

For me it all comes down to time.......If I have the time, I enjoy reading the long stories, but more often than not I only have time to skim through them. From what I've seen in the past the long stories were always posted up for the contest, and not so much for the kill zone threads.

I kept my story super short this year because again, I was short on time.....if I enter it for the contest I will be sure to add in a few more details and pics.
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:29 pm

I generally like them to have some good content which involves the hunting tactics used, why a guy was successful, etc...just helps me learn...but that's me.
The kill zone has sure been busy this year so it does take some time reviewing all the posts!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:42 am

I never was much a reader, I skim :lol: Time to read comes to mind, but also the kiddos or first timers that kill a buck I tend to read thouroughly. Oh and Dan's are a never pass up read, of course, always something odd and entertaining. :mrgreen:
"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
Joe68
500 Club
Facebook: Don't believe in facebook

Unread postby Joe68 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:51 am

I really enjoy a great story, just depends on if I have time to sit down and read. The pictures and maps guys post are great too. Very hopefully for envisioning the hunt.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:56 am

I'd rather hear a decent story than a quick, "got me one" and see a shoulder mount. The story is where it is at.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:03 am

I also like commas, periods & paragraphs - you know, all around penmanship you learned in 4th & 5th grade...

Don't get SPYSAR going on this subject!!! :P
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:04 am

Stanley wrote:It's kind of funny what got me to thinking about this. A good friend of mine was telling me he had to listen to another guy telling the story of how he killed his buck. He said he was so bored just listening to the guy go into every detail. I try and not get too long winded on stories.

For instance;
"I found not one drop of blood while looking for my buck."

Or....... "I looked to the north under every leaf, some were oak leafs some were Maple leafs, some were red oak leafs and some were white oak leafs. Some of the leafs were wet and some were dry but for the most part they were brown. No blood was found under any of the leafs. Luckily none of the leafs were red that would have really complicated things. And so on"

I like the short version much better.

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:13 am

I come here to learn so I prefer long but detailed tactical type kill stories. Pictures and diagrams are always helpful. If I wanted long stories that pump products, the latest gadget, spray, etc. I would buy a magazine or watch a hunting "Reality Show".
Remember to take your kids!
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:26 am

I like a long story. But some are and have been a little much imo. I don't want to ruffle feathers here but it seems to me that some of these stories are a bit of a production for the buck contest. I understand that we want to put the best foot forward and that it is kinda a competition...although rarely does the biggest buck take first. We all enjoy a good deer hunting story- I'm no different. I also understand that we are proud of what we drag out of the woods. This is only my opinion I just get that vibe with some of the stories. I could also be dead wrong with my perception. But....to keep this discussion rolling...

Last edited by matt1336 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:31 am

I like to see the strategy used, 1 or 2 pics of buck, maybe a map or aerial showing how hunt went down, and I prefer brevity in the story itself.
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:39 am

I'm guessing I'm like most members & will read post no matter how long that relate to my style or circumstances. Anything public land or blind hunts catch my attention. The rest I scroll to the pic & move on. I like details of the hunt, the how's & why's of what got you there, but not necessarily the details of the hunt. Maps & diagrams are awesome.

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:52 am

I like a good tactical story. If it goes into details of how and why the buck was killed it gets my attention.

Public land hunts in high pressure areas are my favorite.

Maps and diagrams are awesome.

A couple good pics are nice but to many bogs my phone down.

If they are to long I will just skim through.

Certain hunts catch my attention more than other. I like to read more on the under dog states.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”