How to handle this “issue”

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Elite
500 Club

Re: How to handle this “issue”

Unread postby Elite » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:53 am

I noticed the eyes too after you pointed it out. You could phrase it as, "is it possible to pull the eyes out more like in this picture?" If he can't, then there's nothing you can do about it other than bringing it to another taxi when he's done.

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:27 am

hcooper84 wrote:A good idea could be to search pronghorn foam mounts. Try to see what the mount actually looks like under the hide. If the eyes are recessed and it looks like it matches up then thats probably just what can be done with the mount. I googled other mounts and looked to be about 50/50 on if the eyes looked deep or puffy. $750 is alot of money though for something you arent completely happy with.

No. Forms are not one fits all. Really good taxidermists make changes and alterations to forms all the time to make a mount look natural.
Ishi Spirit

Unread postby Ishi Spirit » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:39 am

The mount looks great IMO! Once the skin is dry it’s a done deal.
Enjoy the mount
The Spirit Lives On
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:24 am

I think it looks great. I always tell my guy to front of any odd expectations I want out of my mount.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
hcooper84

Unread postby hcooper84 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:37 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:No. Forms are not one fits all. Really good taxidermists make changes and alterations to forms all the time to make a mount look natural.

Makes sense. So more could have been done then I initially thought. TBH though the mount still does look good. It would just be something that I keep in the back of my mind for if I were to get a mount from the same place again.

I wouldnt have anything to say if the price wasn't so high. Mounts vary from place to place for sure, but I could get 2 whitetails shoulder mounted for that price or less near me. If I were to pay that much for a mount I would want the guy or gal to use the best of the best in materials.
huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:55 am

Thanks again for the responses.

I personally don’t think this is an “odd request” though. The reference photos I have found clearly show a built-up area around the eye socket. I am not expecting perfection by any means, but I think the eyes are a key feature of pronghorns and why I was willing to pay so much for a shoulder mount to someone that can take reference photos and mimic the effects shown.

I did discuss it with him this morning- I’ll keep you all posted!

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”