Happy day

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Happy day

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:50 am

Well I got the call my boar hog was ready today. I wanted a giant mounted boar for as long as I can remember. I wanted it to happen on my terms which was during daylight with archery equipment. It took me 15 years and hundreds of hours to finally pull it off with my recurve on a true giant. I’m still ecstatic about it and I killed him in Feb. Some might laugh and say geez about dang time. Some might be curious if it was worth all the effort. U bet your sweet a.. it was worth it! Probably my most prized trophy

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
john1984

Re: Happy day

Unread postby john1984 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:20 am

Now that's a slob. Scary creature there :clap:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:29 am

8-)
JAB
500 Club

Unread postby JAB » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:11 am

Cool mount!
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:14 am

JAB wrote:Cool mount!

Agreed!!
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:17 am

Nice! Bet that was fun!! :clap:
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:41 am

DANG Boogie!! You were rite, that thing IS a HOG!! Congrats man, mount looks awesome :clap:
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:49 am

Ghost Hunter wrote:Nice! Bet that was fun!! :clap:

Imo hogs are the most fun to hunt with a bow an arrow. There nose is excellent and they are very smart, presenting a good challenge . But they are dang near blind! Get the wind in your favor and u can really slip in tight on em.

Don’t remember if I told the story of this boar or not. But I actually missed him inside 20 yards the day before. As I crawfished for excuses I believe there was a part of me that realized this might not end well for me and I rushed the shot. But then again I could have just whiffed. I was on the ground stalking em, there was about 30 hogs on the side of a ridge feeding on old acorns. The valley was to loud to slip across with frosty leaves. So I looped around Way in front to ambush them. As I crest the ridge I saw him! He looked like a angus bull laying next to a cedar tree. Yes, I missed.... But the next day I went back again and low an behold he was sitting in the same spot. This time my arrow found its mark. Revenge is sweet. Was a good day!
-John Wayne-
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:06 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
Ghost Hunter wrote:Nice! Bet that was fun!! :clap:

Imo hogs are the most fun to hunt with a bow an arrow. There nose is excellent and they are very smart, presenting a good challenge . But they are dang near blind! Get the wind in your favor and u can really slip in tight on em.

Don’t remember if I told the story of this boar or not. But I actually missed him inside 20 yards the day before. As I crawfished for excuses I believe there was a part of me that realized this might not end well for me and I rushed the shot. But then again I could have just whiffed. I was on the ground stalking em, there was about 30 hogs on the side of a ridge feeding on old acorns. The valley was to loud to slip across with frosty leaves. So I looped around Way in front to ambush them. As I crest the ridge I saw him! He looked like a angus bull laying next to a cedar tree. Yes, I missed.... But the next day I went back again and low an behold he was sitting in the same spot. This time my arrow found its mark. Revenge is sweet. Was a good day!

I walked into my tree on opening morning 26th Sept. I saw some eyes when I got to tree around 45 mins before sunrise. I started looking around and had about 15 hogs rooting and grunting within 25 yards of me. They never changed their pitch just kept rooting and grunting. I knew it could go bad at anytime. But, it didn't, I just kept slowly working my way in tree and they eased on off. Stayed there till 11am. Never saw anything else.

Needless to say as close as they were to me. I don't think Dan would have been proud of my stealth in hanging stand, lol .
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:06 pm

That hog is worthy of being mounted right over the master bed. I’m sure the wife would love that. :mrgreen:
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:15 pm

8-)

Mean looking sucker :lol:

How was the meat? I've never had wild pig.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:59 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:8-)

Mean looking sucker :lol:

How was the meat? I've never had wild pig.

The meat on wild hogs is pretty dang tasty. Not gonna make bacon or sweet chops with em like market hog. A big boar isn’t the best table fare. I like the ones that dress out around a 100lbs. The loins are good grilled, hams good smoked, shoulders good cooked like roast or crockpot style stuff, I grind a lot into breakfast sausage with added pork fat which is tasty. Also have had a Hispanic lady make tamales from them that were very good. The biggest secret is get that hide off and meat cooled down quick
-John Wayne-
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:03 pm

Dewey wrote:That hog is worthy of being mounted right over the master bed. I’m sure the wife would love that. :mrgreen:

It’s funny but my wife actually loved this mount. Probably cause it’s different. I want a beaver mounted on my bed post with it chewed down. U know... like them rubs u found. :lol: That still makes me laugh
-John Wayne-
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:22 pm

8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”