My 2020 buck all complete

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hookslinger
500 Club

Re: My 2020 buck all complete

Unread postby Hookslinger » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:16 pm

MichiganMike wrote:My 2020 Michigan public land buck all complete. Can’t thank my buddy dale enough. Does amazing work ACEDCB5C-F214-4A63-9EAF-5F5C626A6393.jpegD3696C69-93EF-45CF-BCF7-C5B1E24B7C65.jpeg

Awesome buck, can't ask for anything better on MI public. I have a question that I want to ask. I know you said you found this buck and chased him all season right? You finally got him on opening day of firearm? How did you deal with all the hunting pressure that surely had to ramp up? How didn't the "orange army" push him right out of there? He's obviously survived a good handful of Michigan gun seasons to get some age on him and grow into such a great buck. What do you think was the difference that gave you the ability to seal the deal on him?

JP BowHunter

Unread postby JP BowHunter » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:34 pm

Great looking buck!
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:37 am

Hookslinger wrote:
MichiganMike wrote:My 2020 Michigan public land buck all complete. Can’t thank my buddy dale enough. Does amazing work ACEDCB5C-F214-4A63-9EAF-5F5C626A6393.jpegD3696C69-93EF-45CF-BCF7-C5B1E24B7C65.jpeg

Awesome buck, can't ask for anything better on MI public. I have a question that I want to ask. I know you said you found this buck and chased him all season right? You finally got him on opening day of firearm? How did you deal with all the hunting pressure that surely had to ramp up? How didn't the "orange army" push him right out of there? He's obviously survived a good handful of Michigan gun seasons to get some age on him and grow into such a great buck. What do you think was the difference that gave you the ability to seal the deal on him?

Thank you and thanks for the questions:
-I know you said you found this buck and chased him all season right? I had him on camera in Sept and hunted the area a few times during bow in Oct/early Nov to try to get eyes on him. To say I chased him all season is probably a bit of an overstatement, I hunted that area about 4-5 times so I didn't overpressure it- but I moved to different points of interest each time. Granted, It is thick river bottom with mix of marsh and saddle humps that cover over a mile.
-You finally got him on opening day of firearm? I did. I heard thrashing and chasing about a week before and moved up in the oaks 2 days before gun season. I was covering the marsh below before that. I caught him mounting the doe but was off 50 yds. Opening day I still hunted into that same area because of the high winds and he came back through.
-How did you deal with all the hunting pressure that surely had to ramp up?During bow- it wasn't really that pressured. It happens to be pretty remote with the exception of the high ground of course. During gun thats where everyone is obviously.
-How didn't the "orange army" push him right out of there? I shot him about 8:45 opening morning so it was pretty early into the game. I heard a shot about 20 minutes before that maybe a few hundred yards away. It may of been at him but not sure. During gun season- I only hunt it the first 2 days. After that I am pretty much done because your chances are pretty much over beyond that. Ill do some drives to help fill tags, but thats about it.
-What do you think was the difference that gave you the ability to seal the deal on him? I just knew he was in the area. The pressure of opening day may of worked to my advantage that morning, but I knew where he was hanging. I also knew where the does were accessing from the high ground to down below because of the intel I gained before that. But the big thing is he made mistakes. It got to rut, his testosterone amped up, he started moving and I positioned accordingly. For him to make through 4-5 seasons is a head scratcher for me too. But like Dan says- big bucks can make mistakes and they need to pay :)
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:55 am

MichiganMike wrote:
Hookslinger wrote:

-I know you said you found this buck and chased him all season right? I had him on camera in Sept and hunted the area a few times during bow in Oct/early Nov to try to get eyes on him. To say I chased him all season is probably a bit of an overstatement, I hunted that area about 4-5 times so I didn't overpressure it- but I moved to different points of interest each time. Granted, It is thick river bottom with mix of marsh and saddle humps that cover over a mile.
-You finally got him on opening day of firearm? I did. I heard thrashing and chasing about a week before and moved up in the oaks 2 days before gun season. I was covering the marsh below before that. I caught him mounting the doe but was off 50 yds. Opening day I still hunted into that same area because of the high winds and he came back through.
-How did you deal with all the hunting pressure that surely had to ramp up?During bow- it wasn't really that pressured. It happens to be pretty remote with the exception of the high ground of course. During gun thats where everyone is obviously.
-How didn't the "orange army" push him right out of there? I shot him about 8:45 opening morning so it was pretty early into the game. I heard a shot about 20 minutes before that maybe a few hundred yards away. It may of been at him but not sure. During gun season- I only hunt it the first 2 days. After that I am pretty much done because your chances are pretty much over beyond that. Ill do some drives to help fill tags, but thats about it.
-What do you think was the difference that gave you the ability to seal the deal on him? I just knew he was in the area. The pressure of opening day may of worked to my advantage that morning, but I knew where he was hanging. I also knew where the does were accessing from the high ground to down below because of the intel I gained before that. But the big thing is he made mistakes. It got to rut, his testosterone amped up, he started moving and I positioned accordingly. For him to make through 4-5 seasons is a head scratcher for me too. But like Dan says- big bucks can make mistakes and they need to pay :)

Thanks, that's a cool story and a sweet buck. Sounds like you had that area pretty dialed in.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:13 am

Hookslinger wrote:
MichiganMike wrote:
Hookslinger wrote:

Thanks, that's a cool story and a sweet buck. Sounds like you had that area pretty dialed in.

appreciate it. yeah it took some scouting in Spring- but having him on camera was a big deal.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:30 pm

Great Michigan buck and nice mount...congratulations!
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:47 am

Ack wrote:Great Michigan buck and nice mount...congratulations!

Thank you Ack. Its funny you posted here- I was reading back on this forum on some of the great bucks, and your story really stood out to me on your awesome 2019 buck. The scenario played out very similar.
rhagenw
Facebook: Rhagen Wiederholt

Unread postby rhagenw » Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:23 am

Nice!
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:44 pm

MichiganMike wrote:

Thank you Ack. Its funny you posted here- I was reading back on this forum on some of the great bucks, and your story really stood out to me on your awesome 2019 buck. The scenario played out very similar.

Thanks for that Mike....the big ones aren’t behind every tree in MI public, but there are a couple out there that slip up from time to time.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:47 am

Ack wrote:
MichiganMike wrote:

Thanks for that Mike....the big ones aren’t behind every tree in MI public, but there are a couple out there that slip up from time to time.

For sure. It wasn’t until rut before I was finally able to get eyes on him, but hey that’s where the cards fell and I’ll take it :) I like what you said about small game hunters youth hunt etc. causing these bucks to go nocturnal most of October on public land. I think eberhart even said the same thing. Pretty sure that was the case here too.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:14 am

Congrats Mike. That is quite the deer. Hope you can start a streak with that one.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
minnesotahunter
Facebook: No Facebook

Unread postby minnesotahunter » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:34 pm

Great buck!
"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together"
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:07 am

Stud congrats!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:11 pm

Nice!!!
Dhoff
500 Club

Unread postby Dhoff » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:29 pm

Congrats. Dandy.

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”