THLETE Tailwind Puffy Discount

For Sale / Free Stuff / Wanted /
THLETE

Re: THLETE Tailwind Puffy Discount

Unread postby THLETE » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:29 am

checkerfred wrote:How does this compare to a Sitka Kelvin Jacket or a Kifaru Lost Park Parka? I’ve been looking at puffies but I get cold quick so I need something warm. I’d also be interested in some bibs or pants

Good question. The main difference that you will find between the Kelvin, Lost Parka and Tailwind Puffy are the types of insulation that are used. All synthetic insulations are rated on what is called a CLO scale. Basically, the higher the CLO value, the warmer the insulation/garment will be with less loft. We use the best synthetic insulation available to the apparel, Primaloft Gold.

Sitka Kelvin uses Primaloft Sport: CLO .79
Kifaru Lost Park uses Climasheild APEX: CLO .82
THLETE Tailwind Puffy uses Primaloft Gold: CLO .92

To compare the above synthetic insulations to down, a 550 fill goose down has a CLO rating of .7 and a quality 650 fill down is about 1.0. Primaloft Gold, which we use, is as close as you can get to down in a synthetic insulation. There are a large variety of synthetic insulations on the market. PrimaLoft Gold has the highest CLO value (warmth value) of any synthetic insulation available. The warmth of PrimaLoft One or Gold when dry, is equivalent to 500-550 fill-power down.

We also use a very strong rip-stop polyester as the shell of the jacket. I have not worn the Kifaru Lost Parka, but I have worn the Sitka Kelvin. Our face fabric is very similar to Sitka's. We use a 42g Toray Rip-Stop that is very light and incredibly tough. As far as weight, the Tailwind is 21 oz which is 3 oz lighter than the Kelvin and very close to the Kifaru Lost Parka.

The Kelvin uses a heavier weight (170g) insulation than we do that also has a lower CLO. The Tailwind will be lighter weight with less bulk.

Hope this helps.

-Mike

THLETE

Unread postby THLETE » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:32 am

Jussbowz wrote:One of my favorite pieces of a Mid layer is the First Lite Sawtooth hybrid. If you made one like that except improve it. Like the primoloft front and back, arm pit zippers, and a slot in the back for your safety harness. That would be an ideal piece for someone walking in a long ways and for someone like me in the south that doesn't need a whole bunch of clothes.

I think my wife ordered me a couple pieces of your clothes for Christmas. Can't wait to get it in to try.

I have seen the Sawtooth Hybrid and agree that it is nice, but it could be improved. I will take a closer look at the design features with my team. Thanks.
Jussbowz

Unread postby Jussbowz » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:33 am

THLETE wrote:
Jussbowz wrote:One of my favorite pieces of a Mid layer is the First Lite Sawtooth hybrid. If you made one like that except improve it. Like the primoloft front and back, arm pit zippers, and a slot in the back for your safety harness. That would be an ideal piece for someone walking in a long ways and for someone like me in the south that doesn't need a whole bunch of clothes.

I think my wife ordered me a couple pieces of your clothes for Christmas. Can't wait to get it in to try.

I have seen the Sawtooth Hybrid and agree that it is nice, but it could be improved. I will take a closer look at the design features with my team. Thanks.

It is a good piece but I believe you can make it a great one. The features I mentioned would surely help witht that.

Pressured my wife to tell me what she ordered, would say exactly what it is but know something coming from you. Can't wait to try it.
Monroe110

Unread postby Monroe110 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:58 am

I have a couple thoughts on bibs/pants. Zipper legs are a must for packable wear. Dressing in the dark at the base of your tree it really sucks having to take boots off. I would like to see a high back pair of pants vs bibs. Hand warmer pockets in the back of pants are awesome. Put them so hand warmers are near kidneys. Nice deep cargo pockets for gear are always good. Core 4 pants come with suspenders which is a nice feature.
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:29 pm

I have a size medium hybrid crew and it fits well, would you recommend medium for the jacket as well? I'm 5'8" and 160 ilbs. thanks.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:35 pm

Monroe110 wrote:I have a couple thoughts on bibs/pants. Zipper legs are a must for packable wear. Dressing in the dark at the base of your tree it really sucks having to take boots off. I would like to see a high back pair of pants vs bibs. Hand warmer pockets in the back of pants are awesome. Put them so hand warmers are near kidneys. Nice deep cargo pockets for gear are always good. Core 4 pants come with suspenders which is a nice feature.

Zippers to mid thigh at a minimum. Anything less is a waste of a zipper. Very tough to fit boots through.

Still waiting on some big boy sizes 8-)
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
THLETE

Unread postby THLETE » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:20 am

Monroe110 wrote:I have a couple thoughts on bibs/pants. Zipper legs are a must for packable wear. Dressing in the dark at the base of your tree it really sucks having to take boots off. I would like to see a high back pair of pants vs bibs. Hand warmer pockets in the back of pants are awesome. Put them so hand warmers are near kidneys. Nice deep cargo pockets for gear are always good. Core 4 pants come with suspenders which is a nice feature.

Appreciate the feedback. We will definitely jot these ideas down and look into them for future designs. Thank you.
THLETE

Unread postby THLETE » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:21 am

mike_mc wrote:I have a size medium hybrid crew and it fits well, would you recommend medium for the jacket as well? I'm 5'8" and 160 ilbs. thanks.

Yes, medium is where you want to be.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:11 am

Wish I hadn’t already bought first lite puffy. This one looks to be more durable.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Jussbowz

Unread postby Jussbowz » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:47 am

Well I got my Thlete puffy today for Christmas. Really like the camo and it seems very well made. I will be able to try it this coming week and will give a review when I get back from hunting. I really really like the way it fits.
riverrat bbq

Unread postby riverrat bbq » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:35 pm

I have also been looking for some larger sizes as well. I would love some bibs.
thanks. Chris
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:05 pm

I just got mine sat. Morning. Went out today for my last sit. I also got the 1/4 zip alpaca mix. I upsized the jacket to an xl so I could layer under it. Sat 4.5hrs in 6* and 20+ mph wind tonight. I had a merino wool T-shirt, a 160weight core4element merino, the alpaca/merino 1/4 over, with a Cabellas wool sweater, puffy vest, and the tailwind. I was pretty comfortable most of the night, plenty quiet, I thought it would be noisy, but it was good. No wind got through.

I like how it packs up, and how light it is, especially when you are going way in. Thumbs up.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:14 pm

Shaping up to be some real impressive gear. What else are you guys coming out with in the foreseeable future?
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:27 pm

Are they still available at the discounted price? If so what sizes are available?
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:32 pm

THLETE wrote:
checkerfred wrote:How does this compare to a Sitka Kelvin Jacket or a Kifaru Lost Park Parka? I’ve been looking at puffies but I get cold quick so I need something warm. I’d also be interested in some bibs or pants

Good question. The main difference that you will find between the Kelvin, Lost Parka and Tailwind Puffy are the types of insulation that are used. All synthetic insulations are rated on what is called a CLO scale. Basically, the higher the CLO value, the warmer the insulation/garment will be with less loft. We use the best synthetic insulation available to the apparel, Primaloft Gold.

Sitka Kelvin uses Primaloft Sport: CLO .79
Kifaru Lost Park uses Climasheild APEX: CLO .82
THLETE Tailwind Puffy uses Primaloft Gold: CLO .92

To compare the above synthetic insulations to down, a 550 fill goose down has a CLO rating of .7 and a quality 650 fill down is about 1.0. Primaloft Gold, which we use, is as close as you can get to down in a synthetic insulation. There are a large variety of synthetic insulations on the market. PrimaLoft Gold has the highest CLO value (warmth value) of any synthetic insulation available. The warmth of PrimaLoft One or Gold when dry, is equivalent to 500-550 fill-power down.

We also use a very strong rip-stop polyester as the shell of the jacket. I have not worn the Kifaru Lost Parka, but I have worn the Sitka Kelvin. Our face fabric is very similar to Sitka's. We use a 42g Toray Rip-Stop that is very light and incredibly tough. As far as weight, the Tailwind is 21 oz which is 3 oz lighter than the Kelvin and very close to the Kifaru Lost Parka.

The Kelvin uses a heavier weight (170g) insulation than we do that also has a lower CLO. The Tailwind will be lighter weight with less bulk.

Hope this helps.

-Mike

Could you comment on the differences between Thinsulate and Primaloft? How does it compare apples to apples?? Also what is the difference between Primaloft Gold and Primaloft silver?

Thanks!
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893

• Advertisement

Return to “Free Classifieds”