Close But Not Close Enough!

• Advertisement

HB Store

Raptorman

Close But Not Close Enough!

Unread postby Raptorman » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:30 am

I scouted with Dan last winter and was able to improve my game a lot. This last early season and rut I was able to see 12 bucks on public land. Problem was they all came in outside of bow range. Not by a lot but 10 or so yards in thick terrain. When you guys are going into an area to set up do you look for certain features or funnels that will force deer to go a certain way? Not all of the time are they are trails or even hitting the existing sign that they are on. Insight would be helpful. Thank You!1

mipubbucks24
500 Club

Re: Close But Not Close Enough!

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:12 am

I think that’s just part of the learning process, file those hunts away and when you set up on those areas in the future tweak your setup to get those shots.

The other thing I would say is I pull a lot of the bucks I shoot in by calling. I know a lot of guys don’t believe in calling, but I called two 150 inch bucks into 10 yards this last year. One was on public the other on a small piece of private in Michigan. It works but it is an art and it just takes trial and error.

Seems like you are on the right track just keep grinding and it will all come together.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Re: Close But Not Close Enough!

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:28 am

Definitely take note for next year. And yes- try to find the best cover/funnels to set up on that still allow you some shooting. Bucks usually take a few different routes out of bedding so pay attention to what the wind direction, currents, and thermals are doing when you have those encounters. If you can find their MAIN trail out of bedding before they split off- thats even better. its a tough one sometimes though because all their exits can be RIGHT AWAY out of the bed.

• Advertisement

Return to “Extreme Whitetail Tactics”