Walking a transition line

• Advertisement

HB Store

Derril Glen
Facebook: Derril Glen Blanchard

Walking a transition line

Unread postby Derril Glen » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:32 am

I have a question maybe somebody can answer it for me.

When walking a transition line how far do bucks usually bed from the transition line. When walking do you look for a heavy game trail and have to follow the trail to find a bed or do they bed near the transition line

Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows, and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me. Genesis 27:3
Evanszach7
500 Club

Re: Walking a transition line

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:38 pm

Depends on what 2 habitats create the line and if you think the line is used for bedding, travel, or both. If I’m looking for sign and know bedding isn’t within sight, I walk the line on the open side (common in OH). Hunting a new spot in KY with a rifle this Saturday. Pines/CRP below a saddle. Walking in 20 yards inside the pines looking for sign, expecting travel and bedding to be from the saddle looking through the crp to the pines. Gotta stay out of sight on that one.
Derril Glen
Facebook: Derril Glen Blanchard

Unread postby Derril Glen » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:50 am

Evanszach7 wrote:Depends on what 2 habitats create the line and if you think the line is used for bedding, travel, or both. If I’m looking for sign and know bedding isn’t within sight, I walk the line on the open side (common in OH). Hunting a new spot in KY with a rifle this Saturday. Pines/CRP below a saddle. Walking in 20 yards inside the pines looking for sign, expecting travel and bedding to be from the saddle looking through the crp to the pines. Gotta stay out of sight on that one.

This is my first year to hunt this way so I have alot of questions most of them I try to go figure them out myself but I have not walked a transition line yet so when ever I get back home and get to hunt I'm gonna go see what I can find but I was wondering how to tackle it. I guess I should have asked do I hunt right off the line far enough back where I'm safe for not getting spotted. But being a newbie I can say this style of hunting works like nothing I've ever tried before,,, from mid (September to now) I've seen more deer then I've seen in 3 years put together. I've already made my goal for this year was to kill something with horns because I haven't killed a buck in a long time it was only a 4 pointer but I was proud of the kill. And sorry I wrote you a novel I get excited talking about it but thanks for the information
Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows, and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me. Genesis 27:3
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:54 pm

Derril Glen wrote:
Evanszach7 wrote:Depends on what 2 habitats create the line and if you think the line is used for bedding, travel, or both. If I’m looking for sign and know bedding isn’t within sight, I walk the line on the open side (common in OH). Hunting a new spot in KY with a rifle this Saturday. Pines/CRP below a saddle. Walking in 20 yards inside the pines looking for sign, expecting travel and bedding to be from the saddle looking through the crp to the pines. Gotta stay out of sight on that one.

I guess I should have asked do I hunt right off the line far enough back where I'm safe for not getting spotted.

Like everything in deer hunting that’s situational. With mature bucks, I expect them to be just inside the thick edge as long as it’s navigable. When that’s the case you’ll want to be close enough to get an arrow into an opening/lane. If I’m deer hunting, I’m typically within 35 yards of the line. Usually you’ll see the trail, and the right tree is gonna set your yardage based on wind and cover.
Doublejake
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=645026746

Unread postby Doublejake » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:35 pm

I’m new to the Hunting of transition lines.
Just scouting out a new area, and I found a 3 way transition with soft woods that transitions small tree whips that are so close together you have to pretty much push them apart to walk through, and it also transitions a Hardwoods that has oaks and A few apple trees on the transition of whips etc. prominent runways right alongside the whip softwoods transitions and t off on the hardwoods a intersection. You bet I’m climbing a tree in archery to check it out!

• Advertisement

Return to “Extreme Whitetail Tactics”