Hunting in the rain - Newbie Questions

• Advertisement

HB Store

Hammer6306

Hunting in the rain - Newbie Questions

Unread postby Hammer6306 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:27 pm

Hello Gents, I'm hunting whitetail deer for the first time on Saturday. I see that it's supposed to rain on Sunday, what would you guys take for that kind of weather or would you recommend not hunting in the rain? I plan to hunt from a treestand with a scoped ar10 rifle. Thanks in advance for your comments!

Little Joe

Re: Hunting in the rain - Newbie Questions

Unread postby Little Joe » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:58 pm

If you are hunting on Saturday and raining Sunday, my only concern would be getting a clean kill. Depending where you live I am going to assume the weather is above 40 degrees. If you harvest a deer, fueled dress it and get it in a cooler or quarter and get in an ice chest.

Good luck
TreestandTwerkers

Unread postby TreestandTwerkers » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:52 am

probably best not to be hunting in the rain with a gun, could get rusty etc. better stay indoors wait til next year.
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:04 am

Hunting in the rain can be productive, you just have to time it right. I hunted this past Friday and shot an 8pt in the rain. It had been a gully washer all night and into the am, around 10-11 it tapered to a steady light rain. I check the radar and it looked like it was gonna be steady and slow until early evening. So I got the canoe out and paddle in. I saw deer on the bank and bumped a few going in. I wasn't away from my house for more then 2 hours and had a buck down in the rain! Granted he was no monster but I produced, it was fun and I learned alot!
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:14 pm

I like hunting in a light rain. Down pours are just too uncomfortable. You'll need to take time after the hunt to wipe your gun down so it won't rust. No big deal.

Just remember it's easy to get hypothermia in wet weather even with temps in the high 40's low 50's. Have some warm dry clothes in the car or at camp. Also a reliable way to get a fire going with the wet materials you'll now be finding to use for fuel. A miniature butane torch works well. There are some called cigar lighters that work well. Also carry a quality instant fire starter of some kind. A small automobile flare also works well.

Amazon link for mini butane lighters:
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=mini+butane+torch+lighter&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=228966675102&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17383989728335765294&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9018942&hvtargid=kwd-300807463361&ref=pd_sl_46qc76krhi_e_p37

Fire starters:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=quick+fire+starter&sprefix=Quick+fire%2Caps%2C213&crid=26UQZNELJO2S6&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aquick+fire+starter
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Mossyhorns

Unread postby Mossyhorns » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:12 pm

Well how did you do
Yeah, well....sometimes nothin can be a real cool hand.
-Cool Hand Luke

• Advertisement

Return to “Extreme Whitetail Tactics”