Windy day Whitetail... HB/TV

• Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Windy day Whitetail... HB/TV

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:55 pm

Biggest bodied buck I have ever seen by far was on a day it was so windy it was ridiculous. It was a very remote spot in the northwoods and the buck came marching thru like he was king of the woods. Unfortunately he was just out of bow range but that hunt proved to me yet again how good windy days can be.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:20 pm

Really cool to see this on video. The wind thing is a real mental blocker for me. I hate it! But I have seen and you have shown that they are moving in the wind.

Your double shot is interesting because when I was 14 I shot a 4-pt buck on a local farm and hit the buck square in the lungs. The buck proceeded to feed in an alfalfa field for maybe a minute like nothing happened until it just fell over stone dead!

I also really liked this show because I was at one of the scouting sessions and was able to see the area first hand. The video really helped show the details of the hunt and circumstances.

Thanks Dan!
Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:02 pm

Great video dan and I thought it was interesting how you pointed out the buck circled upwind of the food source and came in to feed in that manor. That is something I will be paying close attention to cause it makes perfect sense to me that a buck would do this. Thanks for sharing the video, I always enjoy them!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:14 pm

Nice hunt Dan, I enjoyed the video, way to make that second shot count. I like how the buck followed the tire track trail into the plot, I believed we talked about mowing a crossing in the saddle there, leading from the bedding area across to where you put that plot at your workshop, kinda similar situation. I know its not your land but I can't help but wonder what some tall native grasses would do for that area for holding deer.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:12 pm

Gibby wrote:Another awesome video Dan :clap: , lots to learn in that one.
How are you liking that Enigma Camo? That could be what allowed you to get that second arrow in the naked tree :shock:
I love mine, Chuck makes some quality stuff and the pattern breaks up the human outline so well :D

Nicely Done

Gibby

Its good stuff... I think it fitted that hunt very well. That deer was shot, heard me, and looked up at me while I was getting the second arrow and still walked right underneath me. I think the camo did its job.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:17 pm

Rutnstrut wrote:Great hunt Dan, windy days are some of my favorite to hunt depending on time of year. I seem to be able to handle the wind a lot better during the rut than I can late season. I can sit all day in 20-30 mph winds in early November when it's 35-40 degrees out. Yet have trouble sitting 2 hours in 15 mph winds @ 25 degrees in late season. Most of that is mindset, I never want to leave a good spot during the rut. Where as late season I really have to push myself to go out, regardless the weather.

I get that a little too... I think its caused by burn out. After a couple months of really hunting hard you start to loose the focus and drive a little. Wit good food plots I see more action in my area during late season than rut, but i9ts a lot harder to stay focused and keep pushing. When I was younger it was full out from the 1st to last day... Hard to do anymore.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:20 pm

BCam wrote:Cool video. Do you know how old he was?

2 or 3... Im leaning with 2 year old.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:24 pm

Trailcamaddict wrote:Really cool to see this on video. The wind thing is a real mental blocker for me. I hate it! But I have seen and you have shown that they are moving in the wind.

Your double shot is interesting because when I was 14 I shot a 4-pt buck on a local farm and hit the buck square in the lungs. The buck proceeded to feed in an alfalfa field for maybe a minute like nothing happened until it just fell over stone dead!

I also really liked this show because I was at one of the scouting sessions and was able to see the area first hand. The video really helped show the details of the hunt and circumstances.

Thanks Dan!

I was thinking this would really be a cool hunt for everybody whom attended the scouting workshop to see since it played out just as discussed at the workshops.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:28 pm

Bowhunter4life wrote:Great video dan and I thought it was interesting how you pointed out the buck circled upwind of the food source and came in to feed in that manor. That is something I will be paying close attention to cause it makes perfect sense to me that a buck would do this. Thanks for sharing the video, I always enjoy them!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

That happens to me way to often to be coincidental. A lot of people claim they feed win d to face but if you think about it, they have one side vulnerable if they do that. If you watch that buck close you will see him pop his head up often and scan down wind. He could not do that facing the other direction.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:31 pm

Mike wrote:Nice hunt Dan, I enjoyed the video, way to make that second shot count. I like how the buck followed the tire track trail into the plot, I believed we talked about mowing a crossing in the saddle there, leading from the bedding area across to where you put that plot at your workshop, kinda similar situation. I know its not your land but I can't help but wonder what some tall native grasses would do for that area for holding deer.

I agree... Kind of frustrating not owning the land or having control. I had free corn seed from Andrae this year and could not get it in cause of timing with the land owner. Wanted to do some cutting in the woods too... Never got done.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:58 pm

Great vid, I think its the best one yet you have done of explaining the whole process - very good job with that. The couple deer I accidentally hit in the brisket area were not overly spooked either, must not hurt much when it gets hit there.

Just how far did the buck go after the second shot?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:01 am

JoeRE wrote:Great vid, I think its the best one yet you have done of explaining the whole process - very good job with that. The couple deer I accidentally hit in the brisket area were not overly spooked either, must not hurt much when it gets hit there.

Just how far did the buck go after the second shot?

a little over 200 yards
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:51 am

I too, like the fact that this was a hunt that related to the scouting workshop. Really help put all the pieces of the puzzle together. Lots of valuable stuff here.
buckeye

Unread postby buckeye » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:13 am

Great hunt...

Where can I find past episodes?
Instagram.com/buckeye_archer
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:26 am

buckeye wrote:Great hunt...

Where can I find past episodes?

The past episodes are available in the webstore on a disc. Right now the 1st season of 3 hunts is available for a very low price. Soon we will be adding a disc of episode 4 thru 6. The footage is much clearer on the discs than what we can got out of the computers.

• Advertisement

Return to “Extreme Whitetail Tactics”