Live from the Trap line

• Advertisement

HB Store

mipubbucks24
500 Club

Live from the Trap line

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:51 am

Any guys out there running trap lines right now?

I got my first beaver today, it was just a little guy but I’m learning. Also got 3 raccoons so far. I know it’s not worth anything but fur is prime right now. I’m only running a couple dog proofs and 2-330s. First year doing any trapping, just using it as an excuse to get in the woods, also deer scout in and out. The beaver was taken on public, coons behind the house.

If your trapping post some pics in this thread with a description of the catch.

This beaver was caught in a 330 going into a bank den.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Re: Live from the Trap line

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:54 am

That's awesome. Congrats. Beaver meat Is supposed to be good eating. Even the tail even thought it's fatty.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:49 pm

Bowhunting Brian wrote:That's awesome. Congrats. Beaver meat Is supposed to be good eating. Even the tail even thought it's fatty.

Yes I have heard that also, I am planning on trying some that is one of the reasons I picked beaver to pursue.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:52 am

Couple more beaver this morning, 3 small ones now. Hoping to get an adult, I don’t have time to go out again for beaver till this weekend. Once the weather worms up a little probably catch a couple coons.

Both these beaver were caught entering bank dens. I am assuming they are coming from the main lodge, I can’t trap that well because of my lack of chest waders, and traps, I need to get a couple more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:14 am

mipubbucks24 wrote:Couple more beaver this morning, 3 small ones now. Hoping to get an adult, I don’t have time to go out again for beaver till this weekend. Once the weather worms up a little probably catch a couple coons.

Both these beaver were caught entering bank dens. I am assuming they are coming from the main lodge, I can’t trap that well because of my lack of chest waders, and traps, I need to get a couple more.

Cool! Have a wallet made from that tails.
Putt400
500 Club

Unread postby Putt400 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:16 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:That's awesome. Congrats. Beaver meat Is supposed to be good eating. Even the tail even thought it's fatty.

Beavertail makes great ice fishing bait. Congrats!
“No matter how good or bad your life is, wake up each morning and be thankful you still have one”...Zig Ziglar
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:59 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:
mipubbucks24 wrote:Couple more beaver this morning, 3 small ones now. Hoping to get an adult, I don’t have time to go out again for beaver till this weekend. Once the weather worms up a little probably catch a couple coons.

Cool! Have a wallet made from that tails.

Well the tails are not that large but my brother wants them to make leather handles for the trad bows he makes.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:07 am

8-) :handgestures-thumbup:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:53 am

Well caught a bigger one today, I was a little worried about my traps being stolen because there was sign of another guy trapping, but he did not seem to be hitting the bank dens, he was looking for runs at the dam, and looked like he had been there over the weekend. Set 2 traps both in bank dens, the first was triggered with no catch. Looked like there was a struggle so I am assuming missed a beaver. Then the second trap had connected on a pretty good size beaver. This one has a big tail, bigger then my boot. Hope to get all the meat off this one. Could only trap 1 day this week, hope to be able to do 2 or 3 checks next week.

If anyone else is trapping please post about your catch and explain your catch. If no one else is then I guess this will just be my trapping journal.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:43 am

Very cool. I’m enjoying this thread. Nice work 8-)

I’ve got one spot where beavers completely altered the landscape. They’ve taken 80% of the big trees down in spots. It’s basically impossible to walk through there.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:16 pm

Lockdown wrote:Very cool. I’m enjoying this thread. Nice work 8-)

I’ve got one spot where beavers completely altered the landscape. They’ve taken 80% of the big trees down in spots. It’s basically impossible to walk through there.

Sounds like you need to get some 330s and have some fun! It really is fun and a challenge, and eventually I’m going to make a post about how it’s helped my view of deer hunting. The thing that first made me think about trapping them was seeing all the destruction they were doing on public land, it’s just taken me about 5 years to get around to it. I messed up the meat on the first 3, but this one I saved all the meat so I’m going to be cooking it here soon, I’ll add pics when I do. Maniac 330 on YouTube is like the Dan Infalt of beaver trapping, guy knows his stuff. I have just taken his tactics, and I have only had the 1 trap that saw no action when letting them sit over night.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:18 pm

First Beaver Meal
I’m not sure what my wife calls this, when she tells me what’s in it, I’ll post it.

First thoughts, it’s somewhere in between venison and beef for taste, but it was more tender then both. Texture was not quite as firm as venison, kinda melted in your mouth. My wife compared it to the dark meat of a roasted chicken, she really liked it. Our final take was, if I have a bad year of deer hunting, I can fall back on the beaver trapping. Oh yeah all the kids liked it too.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:16 pm

Finally got out trapping again, caught these 2 nice beavers last night. I am 6 for 10 on beaver traps this year. These were off of a big bank lodge that was about 30 yards long. As we walked up we saw at least 1 beaver swimming under the water. Cool spot but about a half mile walk on public. Carrying out 90 pounds of beaver was a good work out. Also caught a raccoon behind the house, so good night over all.

Probably done for the year as the next couple weekends are busy, and my wife started online teaching English to the next generation of Chinese communists spies. Time is limited and what time I have I want to spend scouting for turkeys on more public pieces.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:46 pm

8-) 8-) 8-)
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:52 pm

I’ve had issues with beavers on my property. Phenomenal engineers, but incredibly destructive.
Ryan

• Advertisement

Return to “Trapping”