Any one have a line out?

• Advertisement

HB Store

Polish Hammer1

Any one have a line out?

Unread postby Polish Hammer1 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:11 pm

Pretty quite topic anybody having any success this year I’m finally getting back into it this year after not having trapped for about 8 years. I bought some land and have lots of coyotes on it so I got a mentor to show me how to work some cable restraints 2 days in got one young female but one less deer killer.. If that wasn’t enough to get me re hooked into trapping my oldest son thought it sounded cool so we set some buckets for coon a week or so ago (I know hard time of the year) but he loves checking them everyday and we landed a opossum and he was extactic over it.. That set the hook for me! How’s your season going?

Wisconsin

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Re: Any one have a line out?

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:58 am

I was going to. I found some good mink sign on some public I hunt and got excited at first. I just don't have it in me to kill anything right now with fur prices being so low. I'm going to wait for better prices. The only thing is with the political climate the way it is, prices could stay low for a long time. I do want to get some muskrats and a coon to get some mittens and a hat made. Hopefully I can get those this year.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:14 am

Had a dozen cat and fisher sets out for a week. 4 locations set. All had tracks a week prior.

No action.

Had a cat walk passed 3 sets. Found his tracks on logs that had a bit of snow on them the day I pulled them.

Cat stays in till the 6th so I may put sets back in that area tomorrow...it adds 2-3 hours to my "workday" to get up there and check them though...after a week I was mighty burnt out. But he's coming through there frequently. I want a cat....so, I should probably set it up again.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:15 pm

I have been trying my hand at trapping rats under the ice for the 1st time this year with very limited success. I set a few coyote sets today, and plan on setting a bunch more Sunday.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:54 am

Pudster wrote:I have been trying my hand at trapping rats under the ice for the 1st time this year with very limited success. I set a few coyote sets today, and plan on setting a bunch more Sunday.

How are you making your sets? What style trap?
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:43 pm

For rats I have tried setting where I see bubble trails, usually a 160 or 110 conibear baited with a carrot or potato. I few bank den entrances with coni's, and I also tried putting a 11/2 coilspring on a 1x4 under a carrot or potato bait. For yotes I use mainly flat sets or dirtholes.
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:20 am

Been so wet and mild here that its been tough. 50 degrees in january sucks! still have been able to take a few. Hopefully some colder weather is on its way...

STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:53 am

Missionshooter wrote:Been so wet and mild here that its been tough. 50 degrees in january sucks! still have been able to take a few. Hopefully some colder weather is on its way...

Nice catch.
TownMaN

Unread postby TownMaN » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:44 am

Pudster wrote:For rats I have tried setting where I see bubble trails, usually a 160 or 110 conibear baited with a carrot or potato. I few bank den entrances with coni's, and I also tried putting a 11/2 coilspring on a 1x4 under a carrot or potato bait. For yotes I use mainly flat sets or dirtholes.

Not sure what you are useing for 1 1/2 coils but they could have to much pan tension for a rat. I ran into that problem this year with some dukes I have, I even weakend the springs on them. Switched back to long springs and started catching.
I set my boards at a 45 under the ice with the carrot just under the bottom of the ice and trap almost touching the carrot. Set the next to active houses/ feeders
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:44 pm

TownMaN wrote:
Pudster wrote:For rats I have tried setting where I see bubble trails, usually a 160 or 110 conibear baited with a carrot or potato. I few bank den entrances with coni's, and I also tried putting a 11/2 coilspring on a 1x4 under a carrot or potato bait. For yotes I use mainly flat sets or dirtholes.

Not sure what you are useing for 1 1/2 coils but they could have to much pan tension for a rat. I ran into that problem this year with some dukes I have, I even weakend the springs on them. Switched back to long springs and started catching.
I set my boards at a 45 under the ice with the carrot just under the bottom of the ice and trap almost touching the carrot. Set the next to active houses/ feeders

I modifies my duke 1.5's by using an old credit card and punched washers out of it to put on both sides of the pan tension screw. A trick my trapping instructor showed us in class. Otherwise you could spend a few cents and get nylon washers.

• Advertisement

Return to “Trapping”