Where to get traps?

• Advertisement

HB Store

Octang
500 Club

Where to get traps?

Unread postby Octang » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:55 am

I just got my trapping licence last weekend and now I have to start looking at getting traps. Where is the cheapest place to buy traps other than craigslist? Are there certain brands that are better quality than others, or brands to stay away from?

Thanks!

DeerDylan
500 Club

Re: Where to get traps?

Unread postby DeerDylan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:46 am

What are you looking to trap?

www.minntrapprod.com is a great mail order or you could visit them if you're not too far.

I'm getting the trapping itch again but I'm not sure I'll be able to swing buying all new gear this year.
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:08 am

DeerDylan wrote:What are you looking to trap?

http://www.minntrapprod.com is a great mail order or you could visit them if you're not too far.

I'm getting the trapping itch again but I'm not sure I'll be able to swing buying all new gear this year.

Thanks! I plan on starting out with muskrats and coons and growing from there.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:46 am

Good deal! Dog proof traps work well with coon. I used Duke DP traps with decent success but I like the looks of those newer Bridger ones. You can also dig pocket sets and use #1.5 traps on drowning rigs in deep enough water. I also like the looks and sound of the newer Bridger #1.5 specials. Dukes will be your best value on 1.5s but Bridger is a bit better and barely more expensive.

I only ever trapped Rats once for a couple weeks and had good luck putting Duke 110 magnum body grippers on a support in their runs. that was in a pretty small pond. I'm not sure if your state allows colony traps but if they do, you can really stack some muskrats up with those.

Coon and Rats are a great way to get into trapping.

I've been thinking about it a lot lately so if you ever want to talk trapping, I'm game!!
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:51 am

DeerDylan wrote:Good deal! Dog proof traps work well with coon. I used Duke DP traps with decent success but I like the looks of those newer Bridger ones. You can also dig pocket sets and use #1.5 traps on drowning rigs in deep enough water. I also like the looks and sound of the newer Bridger #1.5 specials. Dukes will be your best value on 1.5s but Bridger is a bit better and barely more expensive.

I only ever trapped Rats once for a couple weeks and had good luck putting Duke 110 magnum body grippers on a support in their runs. that was in a pretty small pond. I'm not sure if your state allows colony traps but if they do, you can really stack some muskrats up with those.

I've been thinking about it a lot lately so if you ever want to talk trapping, I'm game!!

Awesome thanks. Wisconsin does allow Colony traps (I believe they need to be fully submerged). Since I was thinking about getting some for muskrats, is there any reason a 6x6x24 colony trap wouldn't work to also catch chipmunks? My friend needs to get rid of some. It seems to me it would work just as well, but I wasnt sure if they are smart enough to lift up the gate and crawl back out if it isn't spring loaded.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:58 am

Octang wrote:
DeerDylan wrote:Good deal! Dog proof traps work well with coon. I used Duke DP traps with decent success but I like the looks of those newer Bridger ones. You can also dig pocket sets and use #1.5 traps on drowning rigs in deep enough water. I also like the looks and sound of the newer Bridger #1.5 specials. Dukes will be your best value on 1.5s but Bridger is a bit better and barely more expensive.

Awesome thanks. Wisconsin does allow Colony traps (I believe they need to be fully submerged). Since I was thinking about getting some for muskrats, is there any reason a 6x6x24 colony trap wouldn't work to also catch chipmunks? My friend needs to get rid of some. It seems to me it would work just as well, but I wasnt sure if they are smart enough to lift up the gate and crawl back out if it isn't spring loaded.

I'm not 100% on that. Another thing is, is the mesh small enough for them to not get through?
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:56 am

Join the Wisconsin Trappers Association. Some good info. Plus tons of ads for local and a few national trapping supply houses. They also keep you up to date on laws that will affect trapping. The National Trappers Association is similar but on a larger scale.

Good luck and have fun.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:32 pm

stash59 wrote:Join the Wisconsin Trappers Association. Some good info. Plus tons of ads for local and a few national trapping supply houses. They also keep you up to date on laws that will affect trapping. The National Trappers Association is similar but on a larger scale.

Good luck and have fun.

Thanks, that's on my to-do list. My trapper ed instructor gave me a copy of the WTA publication and there was a lot of useful stuff in it. I think I'll also check out the trapping expo in Marshfield next month.
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:50 pm

I'll second the recommendation to Minnesota Trapline, dealt with Tim since the 80's. Their MB 650's are built like a tank and would assume their other traps they make are as well.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
blueKYstream

Unread postby blueKYstream » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:27 pm

I trapped for the first year last time. If you plan to trap for the long haul, go ahead and get some good traps. Minnesota Brand (MB) traps are the best. I have the MB-550's. Their springs are stronger. You don't have to modify them if you trap for yotes. You don't have to mess around with the night latching and constantly testing trigger pan tension. I also have a few Dukes and Bridgers. I screwed up my Bridger order when I wanted to get dogless traps. I was looking forward to trying those, but I got the traps with dogs. The springs are much weaker, so you will almost have to 4-coil I'd guess unless you plan to do so anyways. They all work, but some easier and better quality.
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:25 pm

Good luck and have fun.[/quote]

Thanks, that's on my to-do list. My trapper ed instructor gave me a copy of the WTA publication and there was a lot of useful stuff in it. I think I'll also check out the trapping expo in Marshfield next month.[/quote]

The trapping expo is a good place to pick up traps also. Saves on shipping
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:28 am

Was Arnold your instructor?
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:00 pm

Bowhunting Brian wrote:Was Arnold your instructor?

Nope, a lady named Deb and her husband ran the class. I took the class in Clark county, even though it was 2 1/2 hours from home. It was the only class I could sign up for.
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:04 pm

Check for conventions in your area. I would also have to agree with everyone in joining your States trapping association.
Joe™

• Advertisement

Return to “Trapping”