starting for mink and muskrat.

• Advertisement

HB Store

Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

starting for mink and muskrat.

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:28 pm

Can anyone suggest a list of supplies needed for starting into trapping mink and muskrats. Thanks

[ Post made via Android ] Image

remmag
500 Club

Re: starting for mink and muskrat.

Unread postby remmag » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:44 pm

110 conibears, colony traps, #1 footholds, mink boxes. PM me or text me for more details or sets to learn. I've been trapping all of my life. To be honest... Your starting at the wrong time. This time of year, trapping is ALOT of work and fur prices are WAY down this season. Barely worth it if your driving a full size pickup to check your steel. It usually takes new trappers multiple seasons before they even start making a real profit because of the high initial costs and all the knowledge and experience it takes to start catching high %s of fur

Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:40 pm

For mink I would use nothing smaller than a NO. 1 1/2 double coil spring type. Small trowel a pair of good pliers. A small screen for dirt sets and enough 4x4 trap covers for however many traps your setting. Also some soft 17 or 14 gauge wire for tying traps to rocks roots etc. should do it except for lures. Mink urine and droppings should be used to successfully trap them in numbers. Other lures should be pretty rancid and used with urine and glands. Sometimes red fox gland lure works for minks. A lot of this stuff I learned from reading old books I got from my great uncle. I never really got into muskrat trapping or using conibears. Books by Stanley hawbaker are good and Jim helfrich has good tactics to. Good luck and keep us posted!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Joe™
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:48 pm

I would agree with using 1 1/2 double coil foothold for mink, because of what else might step in the trap if for no other reason. Most of your sets will be wet for those critters and when setting for mink I always had a fair number of raccoon stumble into my traps. The 110 conibear is my workhorse for mink and muskrat creek trapping

Also I agree with remmag this is a poor time to try and make any money trapping...but if you want to just set a few traps and figure it out so than whenever fur prices go back up you can hit it hard, that might be a good idea. There is a learning curve to catching mink, it will take you a little while to figure out...rats not so much.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:01 am

I'm trapping yotes for first time in a couple decades - bringing back some old memories - a very good thing
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:21 am

Man I loved trapping mink. Pocket sets on a drowner wire were the ticket.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:36 am

Here's a couple great sites with tons of free info:

http://www.minktrapping.com/

http://www.trapperman.com/

I'm in the same boat. I bought a bunch of gear back in the 80's but never really got to use most of it. Since I don't think I'll be able to slog through the marshes for mature bucks I feel a small trapline with easy access locations. Would give me my fall outdoor fix.

Here's some sites that I purchased more gear from:

http://www.pcsoutdoors.com/

http://www.fntpost.com/Categories/Trapp ... Mgod-QgArQ

Both have fair prices on most items. Along with quick turn a round on the orders.

Good luck and have fun!!!!!
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:39 am

Got 1 muskrat in a 110 conibear the first night I set during the opener. First time trapping. So far it's pretty fun.
Jlars

Unread postby Jlars » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:28 pm

I set two dozen 110s the past few days. Its probably been five years since ive done it. Thought id duck hunt the mornings and check after. Worked out. Got 30 muskrats and a mink. 8 mallards and 2 teal. My wife thought I was nuts. I had skins on boards all over my basement. Brought back some good memories. Now if rats were going for $14 and not $2 it would be worthwhile. Had the marsh all to myself and there was no shortage of muskrats.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:55 pm

I want to get some muskrat mittens made... I also had 1 trap stolen this year. Sometimes the outdoors brings out the worst in people. I don't get it.
Jlars

Unread postby Jlars » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:18 pm

I havent lost one in a long time. If you put a trap in a high traffic area dont put a bright marker on it. Only asking for trouble. Mittens sound like a cool project. I was thinking of making one of those mountie muskrat hats.
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:53 pm

4" pocket set 20" deep into the bank with a Carp in the back will take any Mink. I also bait with muskrat quarters, which will take both mink and rats.

I also really like a blind set on the edge of a culvert. I took my first mink and many many rats this way as well as many coons.

I would do both pockets and blind sets if I were you.
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:20 am

2 Muskrats this morning in a colony trap.

If they are legal in your state, they are the easiest way to get rats and mink. I usually set them in the underwater trails and bottom edge sets for both mink and rats.

I will be skinning these rats and using the quarters in a pocket set for mink.
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
SwampReaper
Facebook: Don’t have one

Unread postby SwampReaper » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:18 pm

For rats and mink I would suggest running 110’s in runs, den entrances, bottom edge sets. I also love using colony traps(make sure they are legal in your state). Doesn’t get any easier than just dropping a colony trap in a run, pinch point or entrance. Colony traps are also cheap and easy to make.

I also build some floats out of 2x4’s and put #1 coil springs on each side, have the trap pad or “bed” sit below the surface. Grab some marsh grass, grass it out to make it look like a feeding site with some apples cut up or even carrots in the center for bait.

Good luck!

• Advertisement

Return to “Trapping”