Stop eating my trees

• Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Re: Stop eating my trees

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:03 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:Nice work Lou.

Thanks Neil. Gotta do something since I don't really hunt anymore, and there is no ice for pike spearing. Can't be totally lame.

Just spoke to a friend today about doing our annual bobcat trip. I like embarrassing myself in that arena too. Maybe if I took it more serious and didn't just haphazardly step in the woods blind once or twice a year with a caller, I could be better at that. Or maybe I need to find someone good at that too and tag along.

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:10 pm

2 more caught the wrath Monday and Tuesday morning. That makes 7 total. Legal trapping down here is to April 28. Hoping to see a couple bigs. The last two this week were about 30 lbs each, even though Matt thought my scale was off and thought yesterdays was pushing 40+ by sight, not weight
theAdmiral

Unread postby theAdmiral » Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:07 am

I had a trespasser problem on my land that required a DNR officer to get involved. While he was there he asked if he could trap beavers in the swamp. I said have at it as I’m continually trying to keep the dams down so they don’t flood the marsh. Due to a heavy snowstorm he had one day to trap before the season was over. He trapped 6 in 24 hours. The largest was huge, 60 pounds huge.
He is excited for next season and so am I!
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:46 am

theAdmiral wrote:I had a trespasser problem on my land that required a DNR officer to get involved. While he was there he asked if he could trap beavers in the swamp. I said have at it as I’m continually trying to keep the dams down so they don’t flood the marsh. Due to a heavy snowstorm he had one day to trap before the season was over. He trapped 6 in 24 hours. The largest was huge, 60 pounds huge.

From what I’ve heard from a friend of a friend…. Starting the eradication is easy, usually a lot of success very early. It’s those last few that are the slippery ones. Best of luck as they are stubborn creatures!
Ryan
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:14 pm

Ryan549 wrote:
theAdmiral wrote:I had a trespasser problem on my land that required a DNR officer to get involved. While he was there he asked if he could trap beavers in the swamp. I said have at it as I’m continually trying to keep the dams down so they don’t flood the marsh. Due to a heavy snowstorm he had one day to trap before the season was over. He trapped 6 in 24 hours. The largest was huge, 60 pounds huge.

From what I’ve heard from a friend of a friend…. Starting the eradication is easy, usually a lot of success very early. It’s those last few that are the slippery ones. Best of luck as they are stubborn creatures!

Ain't that the truth. We ended up with 9 total for the season. I still have neighbors telling me that they are seeing some. My response is how many did you get, I got 9. Then they shut up
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:19 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:
Ryan549 wrote:

Ain't that the truth. We ended up with 9 total for the season. I still have neighbors telling me that they are seeing some. My response is how many did you get, I got 9. Then they shut up

Haha excellent response! Love that.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:53 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:
Ryan549 wrote:

Someone has to do the dirty work. Maybe the neighbors can at least be a neighborhood watch, seems like those beavers are back at it in a blink of an eye.
Ryan
theAdmiral

Unread postby theAdmiral » Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:13 am

IMG_0362.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:41 pm

:clap:
theAdmiral wrote:IMG_0362.jpeg
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:29 pm

Id love to trap a beaver and get the pelt
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:46 pm

This is absolutely bizarre to me. Just the other morning I met with Matt who helped me trap these beavers last season and he said, that we should start trapping them again soon. I said the main den is dead, and nobody around here is seeing them. Well last night about 10pm I go to let the dogs out in the kennel, and the water is moving. I am thinking geese. Then it looks like dogs swimming around.

Beavers are back. I watched at least 3 of them swimming around and playing and I am just in amazement. Texted Matt this morning that they are swimming around like dogs in the back yard at dark. He says you know why they do that, I said no. He says cause they don't have middle fingers. Anyway, game on when the time is right. Going to get my furbearer tag and check reg book, but think they opened it up around here for nuisance trapping. I don't need them dropping more trees in the channel, especially mine on my boat or dock.

In there tonight again, just hanging out swimming around for at least the last hour. Almost think they are eating weeds they wont leave just playing around for at least an hour +. I thought they only ate trees.
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:21 pm

I just found that we have had more beavers move in as well. Just when you think you’re ahead of the game…. They are sneaky.
Ryan
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:43 am

Uncle Lou wrote:This is absolutely bizarre to me. Just the other morning I met with Matt who helped me trap these beavers last season and he said, that we should start trapping them again soon. I said the main den is dead, and nobody around here is seeing them. Well last night about 10pm I go to let the dogs out in the kennel, and the water is moving. I am thinking geese. Then it looks like dogs swimming around.

Beavers are back. I watched at least 3 of them swimming around and playing and I am just in amazement. Texted Matt this morning that they are swimming around like dogs in the back yard at dark. He says you know why they do that, I said no. He says cause they don't have middle fingers. Anyway, game on when the time is right. Going to get my furbearer tag and check reg book, but think they opened it up around here for nuisance trapping. I don't need them dropping more trees in the channel, especially mine on my boat or dock.

In there tonight again, just hanging out swimming around for at least the last hour. Almost think they are eating weeds they wont leave just playing around for at least an hour +. I thought they only ate trees.

They are rats, will eat about anything.

The original critters came in cause they liked the spot. The next group are probably young ones dispersing from momna’s nest. You will likely always have issues w them water rats.

Might be a good way to introduce some kids to trapping…
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:48 am

Is there a market for their pelts?
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:58 am

Sailfish_WC wrote:Is there a market for their pelts?

There is currently for the hat market, beaver is used to make high end cowboy hats.

• Advertisement

Return to “Trapping”