Where do you find most of your sheds?

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Do you find more sheds in beds, trails, or random?

In beds
26%
On trails
21%
Random
53%

Total votes: 66
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Where do you find most of your sheds?

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:21 am

Im just curious where most people find sheds. I don't find many but seems you would find more in beds than anywhere else and maybe when they get up and shake their heads they fall off. But really i have no idea. Where do all you shed hounds find yours?

"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
Ack

Re: Where do you find most of your sheds?

Unread postby Ack » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:54 pm

Bedding and feeding areas
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:58 pm

Bedding, feeding and everywhere in between. :lol:

Just to be clear I’m not a shed hound. I just walk a lot and stumble over a few from time to time. Never specifically seek them out.
Chad Gus 715

Unread postby Chad Gus 715 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:01 pm

It varies from year to year for me. This year most have been in feeding area, last year it was bedding areas. Then there's been a few years where is been the trails connecting the two. I've probably found the most most in and around bedding
equal opportunity hunter
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:23 pm

What's a shed?
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:29 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:What's a shed?

It’s where you keep your lawn tractor.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:57 pm

I don’t find many sheds. Just haven’t over the years. A couple here and there.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
Mr. Lehey

Unread postby Mr. Lehey » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:51 am

I’ve found about 50 in my lifetime and some are in beds some on trails and some in fields. One place I don’t find them is creek and fence crossings. Weird because most people specifically say to look in those spots but I’ve never found one there.
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:08 am

Mr. Lehey wrote:I’ve found about 50 in my lifetime and some are in beds some on trails and some in fields. One place I don’t find them is creek and fence crossings. Weird because most people specifically say to look in those spots but I’ve never found one there.

I have not found any there as well. I dont go looking for them much so most i have found have been random.

My sons and i tried going this past week and we found 4 in 2 days but only 1 fresh the rest were pretty old. We checked everywhere though and seemed to be no rhyme or reason to where they were. The fresh one was out in the open and the others were buried in thick vines.

We were hoping to find a lot more fresh but starting to think it is too early. 1 WMA we went to we seen a 6pt that still had is rack and a bunch of fresh scrapes.

Florida is just a different place when it comes to deer.lol

2 of the 4 we found were giants for Florida though. The old one looks like it could have possibly been a 6pt side of the rest didn't break off but who knows. Maybe wishful thinking.

20210307_162953.jpg
20210307_162938.jpg
20210310_090421.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:22 am

Bedding or around bedding and randomly. I’ve found random sheds in old cattle pastures in October. I’m at the point with time constraints and kids that I won’t look for sheds unless it’s for a specific buck.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:29 am

Pretty even. Thinking back to last year found most in feeding areas and one in a transition , and one in bedding. Have found a bunch in bedding over the years
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:51 pm

Dewey wrote:Bedding, feeding and everywhere in between. :lol:

Just to be clear I’m not a shed hound. I just walk a lot and stumble over a few from time to time. Never specifically seek them out.

I agree with your answer Dewey but since he said more I voted for beds . Looking back over the years I’ve found more in beds I believe than anywhere else
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:03 am

Definitely not in Florida. Fence lines in KY are pretty common
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Shedhunter101
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Buford101

Unread postby Shedhunter101 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:07 am

The last five years I’ve found about 150 sheds. I’ve walked many many many miles for these, and 5 or 6 is the most on one walk. Usually only one, two, or three per outing.
As far as creek and fence crossings: one actually hanging on the fence and 7 or 8 within 10 feet of the crossing.
In fields/ food plots, 12-15
Laying in an actual bed, 1 pair and 1 individual so 3.
Road sheds or drive bys.. zero
All the rest found in the woods on or near trails. In cedar thickets i mostly find young spike or 2 or 3 pointers.
I have only found three or four sets, and when i find any shed small or especially big, i search relentlessly for the match and it rarely happens. My top five sheds were found at crossings or food plots. These being 65”-75” sheds. With the exception of last year, my cameras show antlers dropped by march 1st with yearlings hanging on till April. Last year 2 and half years and up were dropped by first week of February
Deadheads 18. 5 between 120-145 everyone of them found in or right next to creeks
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:17 am

Shedhunter101 wrote:The last five years I’ve found about 150 sheds. I’ve walked many many many miles for these, and 5 or 6 is the most on one walk. Usually only one, two, or three per outing.
As far as creek and fence crossings: one actually hanging on the fence and 7 or 8 within 10 feet of the crossing.
In fields/ food plots, 12-15
Laying in an actual bed, 1 pair and 1 individual so 3.
Road sheds or drive bys.. zero
All the rest found in the woods on or near trails. In cedar thickets i mostly find young spike or 2 or 3 pointers.
I have only found three or four sets, and when i find any shed small or especially big, i search relentlessly for the match and it rarely happens. My top five sheds were found at crossings or food plots. These being 65”-75” sheds. With the exception of last year, my cameras show antlers dropped by march 1st with yearlings hanging on till April. Last year 2 and half years and up were dropped by first week of February
Deadheads 18. 5 between 120-145 everyone of them found in or right next to creeks

Good info. Thanks

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”