when to start looking in southern WI?

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

nater

Re: when to start looking in southern WI?

Unread postby nater » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:57 pm

I'm already scouting some deer spots for next year, so I'm basically shed hunting now. In general, I walk my wooded public land spots first, then the obvious grassy spots on public land, then the wooded private land, and finally the grassy private land spots. I try not to hit the same spots more than once every 2-3 weeks so the deer don't spook out completely. You gotta beat the other shed hunters and beat the squirrels while not scaring all the deer. If you're in an area where people have a habit of shooting and losing bucks, or an area with EHD, you'll find some deadheads before you find the sheds. That's just part of it.

I walked a new public WMA in MN today, saw a ton of deer sign and shot two rabbits. But no sheds.

Robert

Unread postby Robert » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:15 pm

I have found them as early as December 15, and I have also seen bucks wearing head gear yet in the middle of march.
utica19

Unread postby utica19 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:16 pm

dreaming bucks wrote:I think I have heard Dan say, and maybe others, that they find sheds right in a bucks bed. How often does that happen, is it rare?

I found this one last year right in a known bedding area. Couldn't find the other side, though.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”