Shed Dogs

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jlewa989

Shed Dogs

Unread postby jlewa989 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:09 am

I'm getting a new puppy in the near future and I was wondering if anyone had any experience using dogs to find sheds and if so how do you train them?

[glow=yellow]Joe Lewandowski[/glow]
Brad

Re: Shed Dogs

Unread postby Brad » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:38 am

jlewa989 wrote:I'm getting a new puppy in the near future and I was wondering if anyone had any experience using dogs to find sheds and if so how do you train them?

I am not sure of the exact training but the sporting goods store down the road has a bunch of foam antler training dummies. They look like a regular antler and they come with scent which I imagine you soak into the foam and let the dog "find" it and keep making it trickier until they can find them very easily on their own. I am not sure if your area carries these or not, but if you need one and they don't have one let me know and I can pick one up and send it you you.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:37 pm

my dogs i just gave unlimited antlers to chew around the house from day one. now they find chunks of antler buried in the ground.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:29 pm

+1 on 007s take
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:44 am

viewtopic.php?f=166&t=8815
Here is a link to and older posting. My son has been training his mixed breed dog to do this. He is one year old now and we are going to get him out a couple of days next week. He is far from fully trained, but has a good start. We'll see.

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”