Whose still Out in April?

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Whose still Out in April?

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:09 am

We fished (4) days last week and caught good quanities and quality fish every day. Thusday night and Friday were the best days were we just slammed them. Wife and daughter joined my son and I on the ice everyday but our daughter is only 3 and lasts about 3 hours on the ice before she is wet and wants to go and both the girls head home then.

Friday late afternoon just my son and I went out as it was lightly raining and only could leave four tip-downs in as that was all we could keep up with. It was honestly that fast of action for 2.5 hours straight with the crappies. Only kept 15 as we have plenty enough in the freezer but caught around 80-90 fish most were in the 9.5"-10.5" range. Austin was trying to keep count and his largest was just shy of 13".

Saturday we went perching and Austin caught his first 12" perch.....he's a had a few close at 11.5" before but this one was a dandy. We kept 24 perch that day with 10" being the smallest, let about 40 go that were in the 8"-9" range.

Were fished (2) lakes and both had 20" plus of good ice.....one the shorline is just about gone. Was breaking off 5-6' of ice everytime driving on and off with the wheeler......by weekends end the water gap was around 30' from shore. Might be dicey heading out there this weekend.

Anybody else taking advantage of the best panfishing of the year? Crappies will only get better as the ice go's.

magicman54494
500 Club

Re: Whose still Out in April?

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:36 am

Souds like you've been having great success! I haven't been out and I doubt I could get on the ice any more down here. I'm getting some business taken care of then I'll be scouting deer and turkeys.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:56 am

Hopefully your business goes well to leave time for the deer and turkey scouting. Fingers crossed the snow is gone by April 30th......we had another 3" of snow Sunday to add to the 16-18" of snow still hanging around. Some areas are pushing the 2' mark of snow, but that's not the norm. All roadside ditches, ecspeically the north sides are open and showing tons of deer activity.

Driveway is a mess, salted it 2 weeks ago and almost everything gone now a mess again. :roll: The ice fishing is nice but I'm ready for spring. No way to even walk in the woods effectly with all the snow. Deer are looking pretty sickly, have (7) hanging around the yard pretty reguarly looking for handouts.
Hilts

Unread postby Hilts » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:45 am

I got out a couple of times last week and did well catching a mix of steelhead, browns, and coho's each time out. I have been having to hop ice chunks to get out though and will have to check to see what sunday's weather did to the ice here.

I am going to try to get out this week yet and saturday. I will probably hang it up for the year after that and get going on my years worth house and yard projects that get neglected 9-10 months of the year :) .
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:37 am

Hilts wrote:I got out a couple of times last week and did well catching a mix of steelhead, browns, and coho's each time out. I have been having to hop ice chunks to get out though and will have to check to see what sunday's weather did to the ice here.

I am going to try to get out this week yet and saturday. I will probably hang it up for the year after that and get going on my years worth house and yard projects that get neglected 9-10 months of the year :) .

I hear on the yard projects......when the snow melts I always say it shows all the "sins of winter". :lol: Lot's of work to do at our place too.......
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:48 am

I wish I was! A guy at the baitshop in WI Rapids said he was going out on the ice also made a comment along the lines of "it isn't time to hang up ice fishing til you fall through a COUPLE times" apparently last winter he fell through 9 times before calling it quits.

I have wrapped up my ice fishing for the year. Dusted off the bow and shot 2 carp today on a pond near Lake Arrowhead in the adams county area.

Good luck on the fishing Hodag and stay dry!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:43 pm

I wanted to get up north ice fishing but scouting seems to be taking priority more and more every year. Never even dropped a line in the water all winter. I have been scouting hard everywhere I can since the last day of bow hunting getting ready for next season.
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:03 pm

For me wood pigeon "destruction" begin to protect the rape culture!
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”