Live from the ice 2021...

• Advertisement

HB Store

Jackson Marsh

Re: Live from the ice 2021...

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:06 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:Last October I turned 40 years old, I haven’t exercised a day in my life. I wake up every morning, put in a pinch of snuff and scratch myself while observing the flags on my porch. From their I grab a handful of cold crappie fillets. For lunch I have a fried crappie sandwich. For a midday snack do u know what I have? That’s right fried crappie, an entire dang plate of em. I normally have Busch Lattes for dinner. All the flat belly experts say I should have been sidelined from the whitetail woods years ago. No moral here just enjoy telling that story.

Sorry couldn’t resist

:lol: :lol:

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:18 am

Slow day on the ice today. Alot of action close to the bottom but the fish were super finicky with multiple presentations and only pulled in one bluegill all day. Fished 17 ft of water. Measured 11 inches of ice. Lots of full size trucks on the lake too. Gonna explore a different lake tomorrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:49 pm

New lake for me. 5 bites. 2 tiny walleyes landed. 2 misses. And one bit me off on the hookset :cry:

Happened during gray light... could have been a northern but was getting pretty dark.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:57 pm

Lockdown, do you run tip-ups for northern?
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Swamp Stache

Unread postby Swamp Stache » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:48 pm

Got the wheelhouse set up yesterday about 10am. 16f.o.w. 14inches of ice. Caught a few decent pike and bunch of bass during the day. Had the camera down til dark had a nice school of sunnies and crappies swim through at sunset. Two small walleyes after dark and a giant bullhead at 230am. Generator ran out of gas at 3 so the fans shut off and got to hot to sleep in top bunk haha. Refueled the genny and ate some breakfast. Ready for the morning bite now hoping for a walleye or two for lunch today.
It only takes 15 seconds for the hunt of a lifetime.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:02 am

Crazinamatese wrote:Lockdown, do you run tip-ups for northern?

I don’t target northerns, but I know some people that do. Seems like all the guys that target them set a “mine field” of tip ups and chase flags. Good tactic.

Spearing is fairly popular around here.

And the new “in thing” is catching northerns on cheap hot dogs. It works :whistle:

I didn’t make it out last weekend but will be taking the fam out this weekend. I heard of a crappie bite and also a walleye bite. Will give one of them a shot!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:21 am

Lockdown wrote:

I don’t target northerns, but I know some people that do. Seems like all the guys that target them set a “mine field” of tip ups and chase flags. Good tactic.

And the new “in thing” is catching northerns on cheap hot dogs. It works :whistle:

I didn’t make it out last weekend but will be taking the fam out this weekend. I heard of a crappie bite and also a walleye bite. Will give one of them a shot!

Hot dogs can work wonders.

Northerns are a blast but I always wait until march when the ice is days away from going out. Get the big girls heading in to spawn. Haven't done it for a few years since I'm usually chasing walleyes by then. You need mine fields in the dead of winter, or know exactly where to put your tip ups. Northerns do have specific runways that they follow. Have seen many times putting out 6+ tip ups and catching all the fish on one out of the same hole.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:38 am

Jonny wrote:
Lockdown wrote:

Northerns are a blast but I always wait until march when the ice is days away from going out. Get the big girls heading in to spawn. Haven't done it for a few years since I'm usually chasing walleyes by then. You need mine fields in the dead of winter, or know exactly where to put your tip ups. Northerns do have specific runways that they follow. Have seen many times putting out 6+ tip ups and catching all the fish on one out of the same hole.

I absolutely believe that. Heck, half the time even in the fish house 75% of the fish hit the same line.

Back to hot dogs, my buddy speared a 42” in ND that nosed up to a fun dog on a spinner. Had a live chub next to it and it came in to the weenie :lol:
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:25 am

Lockdown wrote:
Jonny wrote:
Lockdown wrote:

I absolutely believe that. Heck, half the time even in the fish house 75% of the fish hit the same line.

Back to hot dogs, my buddy speared a 42” in ND that nosed up to a fun dog on a spinner. Had a live chub next to it and it came in to the weenie :lol:

My uncle only uses hot dogs now. Cheaper and effective. Plus if the fishing sucks and you get hungry, well you got hidden snacks a short walk away.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:12 am

Missed the evening bite, but doing pretty good anyway! One came through suspended 7’ off the bottom in 13’ of water. I reeled up to him and caught him. I moved one bobber to that height and started catching a few overnight.

2 out of my 4 lines are now set for the suspended fish and 5 out of 6 keepers came from them. Sun is just starting to come up and we had one steal a minnow as I’m typing this.

One thing is certain. Catching fish is good for the soul. Especially when my daughter is with! She is loving it! 4 of these fish are nice big crappies.

Got a new addition to the shanty! 8-)
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:34 am

Hot dogs on tip ups for northern? Ive never heard of such a thing so naturally i gotta try it out for myself!

For guys in the know, putting the full dog on or cutting in half or what? Like the idea or using my bait for snacks as well if slow :lol:
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:42 am

Pretty slow this morning. One bite since my last post. Elli has been trying to catch one all by herself and was a little light on the hookset. Was definitely a keeper if it was a crappie but it got off. We got hungry so threw some backstrap in a pan of butter :L: Elli LOVED it. She was never a good meat eater but apparently she’s coming around :D she even had seconds.

Is it me, or does venison taste better in the fish house?
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:32 pm

Congrats LD on a fun time. Finally let the crappie have it. 2 man limit in 3 hours. Mobile fishing using the Humminbird 360 off my boat, converted to ice mode
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:54 pm

My friend sells all types of custom leaders, sucker harnesses, etc. Check out: https://zleadersfishing.com/hot-dog-qui ... -rigs.html.

He even has a quick strike rig specifically for use of a hot dog.

Great leaders made from great components.

And like others said hot dogs do work for pike.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:13 am

Lockdown wrote:

766C9294-1693-4390-BF24-4EB8D11AC288.jpeg

Saw this one on an ice fishing page.

Trying to decide if I want to go fishing saturday or take a weekend trip to the camper to scout and put out tip ups at night for walleyes. Leaning towards option 2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”