• Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Ice Smackdown On Lakers !!

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:44 am

Thanks guys...

Unfortunately we lost an ice fisherman yesterday on Lake Huron’s Tawas Bay... it hasn’t been a good year for ice and Lake Huron has remained open except for some shelf ice inside the various bays. This gentlemen had fished the bay for 45 years and his shanty was on good ice, a thick shelf of it on the bay next to shore. A new band of ice added on, with open water of Lake Huron behind it. He drove his quad over it and it was only an inch thick... family followed his quad tracks and found a hole in the ice. Coast Guard and State Police divers did the recovery.

Although decades of no issues may have led to complacency... RESPECT. He died doing what he loved.

Bridge

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:07 am

Wow Bridge, I would agree with your title, that is a Smackdown. Good job, and sorry to hear of a fallen outdoorsmen.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:45 am

Nice lakers bridge !!!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:05 pm

8-)

Very nice SB!
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:32 am

One thing I found out while battling those Laker Beasts was my walleye ice fishing rods were too light. Time to upgrade the shanty with some Lake Trout ice rods...
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:12 am

Here’s an age old ice fishing question bridge...mono, braid or floro? For bigger fish I lean toward braid with a floro leader. But I’m certainly interested in what other guys use.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:24 am

matt1336 wrote:Here’s an age old ice fishing question bridge...mono, braid or floro? For bigger fish I lean toward braid with a floro leader. But I’m certainly interested in what other guys use.

matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:28 am

Singing Bridge wrote:
matt1336 wrote:Here’s an age old ice fishing question bridge...mono, braid or floro? For bigger fish I lean toward braid with a floro leader. But I’m certainly interested in what other guys use.

Nice! I’ve never heard of that stuff. Do you use it for ice and open water seasons?
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:09 pm

matt1336 wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:

Nice! I’ve never heard of that stuff. Do you use it for ice and open water seasons?

Yes, both. Fish can't see it and it flows in streams far better than other line types... In fact other types kind of drift like a pool cue. The presentation In streams is far better, whether for trout or steelhead. On the great lakes it can't be beat for Chinook (King) salmon and other species. Ice fishing it comes off the reel in cold weather really well.

Steelhead = 8 lb mainline and 4 lb leader on streams where controlling fish is possible.

Great lakes trolling = 10 lb

Ice fishing for huge lake trout = 8 lb.

It has to be Ultragreen… no other color for me.

If I'm going to ice fish deeper than 100 feet I change it up... but I seldom fish that deep.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:59 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:
matt1336 wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:

Yes, both. Fish can't see it and it flows in streams far better than other line types... In fact other types kind of drift like a pool cue. The presentation In streams is far better, whether for trout or steelhead. On the great lakes it can't be beat for Chinook (King) salmon and other species. Ice fishing it comes off the reel in cold weather really well.

Steelhead = 8 lb mainline and 4 lb leader on streams where controlling fish is possible.

Great lakes trolling = 10 lb

Ice fishing for huge lake trout = 8 lb.

It has to be Ultragreen… no other color for me.

If I'm going to ice fish deeper than 100 feet I change it up... but I seldom fish that deep.

Thanks bridge!! I like the green too. Helps me know when I miss the up bites. Lol
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:05 am

I intend to update this on a different post as well.... when it comes to ice fishing, the navionics app with its depth contours can't be beat. When I smoked these lakers, I relied on it to take me back to where I was the day before. Not only did I use the depth contours to find a great spot, I used it to return... it got me within 10 feet of where I was the day before... you can't do better than that after travelling 5 miles on a sled. I also have a Humminbird Helix 5 on my sled in case I need backup... didn't need it. An amazing app on my cell phone. The Helix 5 is critical back up for lifesaving safety on the Great Lakes... fyi.

Get it… a $20 investment that is incomparable.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:19 am

Singing Bridge wrote:I intend to update this on a different post as well.... when it comes to ice fishing, the navionics app with its depth contours can't be beat. When I smoked these lakers, I relied on it to take me back to where I was the day before. Not only did I use the depth contours to find a great spot, I used it to return... it got me within 10 feet of where I was the day before... you can't do better than that after travelling 5 miles on a sled. I also have a Humminbird Helix 5 on my sled in case I need backup... didn't need it. An amazing app on my cell phone. The Helix 5 is critical back up for lifesaving safety on the Great Lakes... fyi.

Completely agree on the Navionics app bridge!!! It’s saved me more than a few times on Winnebago over the years. Always mark the safe launches!!!! It’s taken me back to my exact hole in the ice that I’ve made a day or two before. I like how you can share coordinates. Jonny and I have shared a few over the years.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:34 pm

matt1336 wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:I intend to update this on a different post as well.... when it comes to ice fishing, the navionics app with its depth contours can't be beat. When I smoked these lakers, I relied on it to take me back to where I was the day before. Not only did I use the depth contours to find a great spot, I used it to return... it got me within 10 feet of where I was the day before... you can't do better than that after travelling 5 miles on a sled. I also have a Humminbird Helix 5 on my sled in case I need backup... didn't need it. An amazing app on my cell phone. The Helix 5 is critical back up for lifesaving safety on the Great Lakes... fyi.

Completely agree on the Navionics app bridge!!! It’s saved me more than a few times on Winnebago over the years. Always mark the safe launches!!!! It’s taken me back to my exact hole in the ice that I’ve made a day or two before. I like how you can share coordinates. Jonny and I have shared a few over the years.

Best $20 I’ve spent in a long time!! Great hydrographic contours, very accurate gps reflected on the map, can pick and mark spots any time I want, can share whatever I want with others and it’s ridiculously easy to use and manipulate.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:50 pm

Just noticed this....nice job on the lakers Bridge! You thought those things fought, give some steel though the ice a try next winter. Hard to beat how they pull through the ice!
WyattBaker

Unread postby WyattBaker » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:21 pm

nice catch!! That was your day
Hunting Illustrated is your go to source for hunting related information. We strive to provide the most in-depth reviews and guides on binoculars, blinds, gloves, boots, and so much more. Visit here: https://www.huntingillustrated.com/

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”