Jiffy Auger

• Advertisement

HB Store

MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Jiffy Auger

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:41 am

Hey guys, have an auger question here for those of you that ice fish. I have an older jiffy auger that likes to bind up right at the bottom of the hole in the ice before breaking through. After it is warmed up if I put it on half choke it will drill all the way through without issue. My question is do I have a carb or jet issue? Why would I have more power at half choke? I am running non ethanol gas mixed with amsoil saber at about 80:1

llcooljames

Re: Jiffy Auger

Unread postby llcooljames » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:10 am

I work in a small engine shop, we are a certified jiffy servicer. Its probably running lean which is why it runs with more power with the choke on. Its likely just a jet issue and a carb rebuild should take care of your problems.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:35 am

You don't happen to have a carb diagram handy do you? It is a Jiffy model 75 series with a Tecumseh TC300 3101D engine if that means anything to you. I'm not entirely sure where the jets are at - will have to take a look when I get home from work.

Thanks
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:15 am

You could also have something partially clogging a jet or passage. You could try running carb cleaner thru it and see if that does the trick?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:21 am

I’d say rebuild the carb and then reset the high and low idle screws. It sounds to me like it’s not kicking into the higher gear. A carb rebuild and a good cleaning should be the ticket
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:20 am

Is a carb for that engine cheap? May be faster and easier just to put a new carb on it?
sourpuss

Unread postby sourpuss » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:48 am

You might want to take a file to the triangle tip and blade of the auger and see if that helps... I dont see it any different than a dull drill bit catching while busting through the other side of whatever your drilling through... Sometimes over the years they need a carb rebuild kit, because the rubber diaphragm goes dry, but it
might be worth a try to get the blade and tip nice and sharp to see if that makes any difference...
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:56 am

Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:59 am

sourpuss wrote:You might want to take a file to the triangle tip and blade of the auger and see if that helps... I dont see it any different than a dull drill bit catching while busting through the other side of whatever your drilling through... Sometimes over the years they need a carb rebuild kit, because the rubber diaphragm goes dry, but it
might be worth a try to get the blade and tip nice and sharp to see if that makes any difference...

I have new blades on it - and the fact that it punches holes no problem when on half choke after warm up leaves me thinking it is carb/ jet related. Having sharp blades definitely helps though
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:04 am

I had no idea they were that cheap - I may just go this route, thanks for the link
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:56 am

My old Jiffy is over 25 years old and still starts/runs great without ever having any work done to it. All I ever did was run it out of gas after every season and store it dry. Not doing this is the cause for all kinds of carb problems not just on ice augers but any small engine. I forgot to do this with my old boat motor one winter and in spring it would not even start, everything in the carb got all gummed up. Fuel stabilizer helps but still better off running the fuel completely out.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:34 am

Dewey wrote:My old Jiffy is over 25 years old and still starts/runs great without ever having any work done to it. All I ever did was run it out of gas after every season and store it dry. Not doing this is the cause for all kinds of carb problems not just on ice augers but any small engine. I forgot to do this with my old boat motor one winter and in spring it would not even start, everything in the carb got all gummed up. Fuel stabilizer helps but still better off running the fuel completely out.

I hear ya, i'm pretty good about draining gas out at the end of the year and only using non-ethanol gas in my small engines. Another thing that has been awesome is using Amsoil saber oil in all the small engines that require mixed gas. I got this auger from my grandfathers shed a few years after he passed -it still had gas in it when i brought it home so I am guessing there is some buildup in there from that
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:07 pm

MN_DeerHunter wrote:I had no idea they were that cheap - I may just go this route, thanks for the link

First thing I do now when I am having a carb problem is google it to find out what a replacement costs. I've been surprised like this several times.

I was having a carb problem with my snow blower a few years ago. The replacement was $20.00. Slapped the new one one and set the idle and I was done. Took about 45 minutes to fix.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:38 pm

We had some issues with our jiffy as well. Biggest thing is to use fresh gas. Buy a gallon in December and toss what’s left in March. We tried running gas from last year this weekend and it was brutal. New gas, total difference.

The other thing is make sure you aren’t using an oversized auger compared to the engine. We got one of the white lightning, small motor 8”. Total pain to drill a hole. Downsized to a 6” 3 years back, and it was the best thing we ever did. Area of a circle says that’s a heck of a lot less ice to cut
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
llcooljames

Unread postby llcooljames » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:22 am

This Is the route I would go with as well. Those little tecumseh carbs can be finnicky to rebuild also.

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”